Stephen Jones

Thanks, Can you buy polystyrene on rolls and if so what thickness can
you get, where can you get it from and and at what sort of cost?

steve

Richard Tibbitt wrote in message . ..
(Stephen Jones) wrote:

I have seen on the screwfix web site Airtec Double insulation which is
claimed to be equivalent to 55mm of polystrene. Has anybody any
experience of this product. I am thinking of using it under plaster
board for dry lining. I also found Foiltec which might me the same
stuff but cannot get hold of any technical information on either.

I had a look at the Airtec stuff a few months ago with a view to using
it instead of polystyrene for insulating a shed/workshop. The only
useful info I found for it was here

http://www.brecertification.co.uk/pdf/Cert060.pdf

Needless to say Screwfix dont do the plastic clips or foil tape
referred to in the document - I guess you could get foil tape
elsewhere & use battens for spacing - it appears to need to be
stretched between the studs in the middle of the void to ensure at
least a 25mm air gap in front of it & behind it.

I couldnt find anyone who'd actually used it & commented on it or
recommended it on Google or Google Groups so I decided not to risk it
in the end, particularly as it would have cost a bit more than the
polystyrene as I would have ended up with half a roll left over for my
application, and it looked like it would take just as long to fit as
the poly.

HTH
Richard