Junior Member

Default Wiring 8 socket extension into fusebox

Hi,

Just had a new split protected fuse box installed by sparkie.

I want to connect what essentially is a large 8 socket extension block to the socket ring on the RCD protected side of the fusebox. The extension block came from an electronic manufacturer's assembly line and is of top quality.

I did have this previously connected with std 3 core cable directly into the old fuse-box which did not have RCD protection - the sparkie q rightly took a dim view to this !

So the question is - what cabling should I use to connect this thing to the fuse box - or perhaps a question before this is should I actually hard-wire this into the fusebox. It is physically adjacent to the fusebox and only needs 2 ffet of cabling.

MAny thanks

Tm
Christian McArdle

So the question is - what cabling should I use to connect this thing to
the fuse box - or perhaps a question before this is should I actually
hard-wire this into the fusebox. It is physically adjacent to the
fusebox and only needs 2 ffet of cabling.

It should be connected to a 13A FCU, which should be connected to the
consumer unit (or a convenient ring mounted socket) using 2.5mm T&E cable,
assuming the run is relatively short and is not buried in insulation. The
unit can be connected to the FCU using either 1.5mm T&E cable (or bigger),
or using a 13A flexible lead. The FCU can be mounted either at the consumer
unit end or close to the 8 way unit and should be labelled.

If the 8 way unit explicitly allows protection at 32A, then you may connect
using probably 6mm cable and no FCU, although you may have to do a specific
calculation to determine the actual cable CSA required.

Christian.

Jim Ingram

"Christian McArdle" wrote in
message et...
[...]

If there's a spare slot in the new CU it might be simpler to buy
another mcb of appropriate rating and wire it directly into that as a
short radial circuit. Do the regs allow wiring flex into a cu? I can
see it could cause problems if trying to mix solid and stranded
conductors. Not that its something I've ever considered doing.

Jim