Joel Payne

Default Wiring for an extension

One of those how much should I pay questions!

I'm having an extension built on the back of the house, one storey,
3.5m by 4.5m apx. Looking to put three double sockets and one central
light fitting in there (two switches). Given that I can't see any
major issues with access to ring main (and plenty o sqm to spare on
maximum size) and lighting circuit, any idea what ball-park price I'd
be looking at from an electrician?

I'm in York.

I'm trying to break down the cost of the extension and see what the
expensive bits are.

Also

Can anyone tell me whether doing your own wiring and having it
certified by an qualified person would comply with building regs? (yes
I know electricity is dangerous) What do people charge to do that sort
of thing?
Owain

"Joel Payne" wrote
| Can anyone tell me whether doing your own wiring and
| having it certified by an qualified person would comply
| with building regs?

No.

The wiring must be done by a contractor registered with one of the medieval
guilds authorised by Mr Prescott for such purposes, or submitted to Building
Control. 'Qualified' does not come in to it.

However as you will have Building Control approval for the extension you
just add the wiring on to the plans and it is covered by the extension
building warrant, so no problem with DIY.

Owain

Dave Jones

"Joel Payne" wrote in message
om...
One of those how much should I pay questions!

I'm having an extension built on the back of the house, one storey,
3.5m by 4.5m apx. Looking to put three double sockets and one central
light fitting in there (two switches). Given that I can't see any
major issues with access to ring main (and plenty o sqm to spare on
maximum size) and lighting circuit, any idea what ball-park price I'd
be looking at from an electrician?

Around the £200 mark.

Joel Payne wrote:

Can anyone tell me whether doing your own wiring and having it
certified by an qualified person would comply with building regs?

(yes
I know electricity is dangerous)

its an option, but
- you need to design teh system correctly
- and have it inspected by the right person.

If you need to cut cost, an easier way is to have the electrician tell
you what cables to put where and you put all the cabling in. The sparky
does the design, wire up and final test.

Is it actually a requirement to have electricity in an extension btw?

NT

Owain

NT wrote
| Is it actually a requirement to have electricity in an
| extension btw?

AFAIK it is a requirement in Building Regs for there to be a fixed lighting
installation. I think gas lighting is acceptable as a means of satisfying
the Regs.

Owain

James

"Owain" wrote in message
NT wrote
| Is it actually a requirement to have electricity in an
| extension btw?

AFAIK it is a requirement in Building Regs for there to be a fixed
lighting
installation. I think gas lighting is acceptable as a means of satisfying
the Regs.

Owain

One way of avoiding part P

James