john Smith

Default How do you dilute PVA, or can I just use paint?

Hello

Im going to be tiling the front of my bath which I have made from 12mm
marine ply (as discussed a few months back)

It was also said to seal it with diluted PVA to stop the tile adhesive
soaking in to the wood to quickly.

What ratio water to PVA is it.

Alternatively, instead of using diluted PVA, can I just use a matt paint, as
I have loads of that in the garage

thanks in advance

Harvey Van Sickle

On 02 Mar 2005, john Smith wrote

Hello

Im going to be tiling the front of my bath which I have made from
12mm marine ply (as discussed a few months back)

It was also said to seal it with diluted PVA to stop the tile
adhesive soaking in to the wood to quickly.

What ratio water to PVA is it.

It's often listed on the PVA container; the last time I did some
sealing -- of some previously-untreated artex, before painting -- it
recommended 5 parts water to 1 part PVA.

--
Cheers,
Harvey
Andrew Gabriel

In article ,
Harvey Van Sickle writes:
On 02 Mar 2005, john Smith wrote

Hello

Im going to be tiling the front of my bath which I have made from
12mm marine ply (as discussed a few months back)

It was also said to seal it with diluted PVA to stop the tile
adhesive soaking in to the wood to quickly.

What ratio water to PVA is it.

It's often listed on the PVA container; the last time I did some
sealing -- of some previously-untreated artex, before painting -- it
recommended 5 parts water to 1 part PVA.

Add and mix in the water slowly initially.
If you pour all the water in one go, you end up with
a bucket of water with globs of PVA floating in it,
which is difficult to mix.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Harvey Van Sickle

On 02 Mar 2005, Andrew Gabriel wrote

In article ,
Harvey Van Sickle writes:
On 02 Mar 2005, john Smith wrote

Hello

Im going to be tiling the front of my bath which I have made
from 12mm marine ply (as discussed a few months back)

It was also said to seal it with diluted PVA to stop the tile
adhesive soaking in to the wood to quickly.

What ratio water to PVA is it.

It's often listed on the PVA container; the last time I did some
sealing -- of some previously-untreated artex, before painting --
it recommended 5 parts water to 1 part PVA.

Add and mix in the water slowly initially.
If you pour all the water in one go, you end up with
a bucket of water with globs of PVA floating in it,
which is difficult to mix.

I did it the other way 'round, but with the same gradual approach. (I
put the 5 parts water in a bucket, then -- slowly -- added the PVA,
with constant stirring; it seemed to work OK.)

--
Cheers,
Harvey
Lobster

Harvey Van Sickle writes:

On 02 Mar 2005, john Smith wrote

What ratio water to PVA is it.

Add and mix in the water slowly initially.
If you pour all the water in one go, you end up with
a bucket of water with globs of PVA floating in it,
which is difficult to mix.

I did it the other way 'round, but with the same gradual approach. (I
put the 5 parts water in a bucket, then -- slowly -- added the PVA,
with constant stirring; it seemed to work OK.)

I mix mine in an old 5-litre screw-top PVA container - replace the lid
and mix by shaking; very quick and effective; and if I don't use it all
up I have a container of ready-diluted PVA ready for use next time!

David

Cuprager

snip

I mix mine in an old 5-litre screw-top PVA container - replace the lid
and mix by shaking; very quick and effective; and if I don't use it all
up I have a container of ready-diluted PVA ready for use next time!

David

Nice idea!

1200 degree High heat spray paint stinks, literally Dan Musicant Metalworking 11 August 21st 20 01:03 PM
Paint formula changes av Home Repair 27 May 28th 14 08:02 AM
Camp Painting help Needed ! TURTLE Home Repair 14 February 19th 05 10:17 PM
Benjamin Moore paint types jeffc Home Ownership 1 August 19th 03 04:51 AM