Martin Pentreath

Default Bare boards in bathroom

I'm thinking of just sanding and varnishing the existing floorboards
in the bathroom of my victorian house. Is this a good idea in a room
which is going to have high levels of humidity? Could the boards warp
or get spoilt by water? Anyone done this who can reassure me that I
won't regret it?
Mary Fisher

"Martin Pentreath" wrote in message
om...
I'm thinking of just sanding and varnishing the existing floorboards
in the bathroom of my victorian house. Is this a good idea in a room
which is going to have high levels of humidity? Could the boards warp
or get spoilt by water? Anyone done this who can reassure me that I
won't regret it?

I always wonder why people say that bathrooms have high humidity. In our
experience (including thirty years when we had up to five children) our
bathroom hasn't been especially humid - except during and for say half an
hour after someone has a bath or shower. Certainly the floor has never shown
any warping. The compost in the plantpots dry out as quickly as everywhere
else in the house.

The floorboards are there all the time even if covered. It could be argued
that they have a more constant level of humidity if covered than if open.

I know lots of people with old houses and bare, painted or varnished floors
in their bathrooms. None of them are warped. Not even the people.

Mary

Mary Fisher

"Mike" wrote in message

"Martin Pentreath" wrote in message
om...
I'm thinking of just sanding and varnishing the existing floorboards
in the bathroom of my victorian house. Is this a good idea in a room
which is going to have high levels of humidity? Could the boards warp
or get spoilt by water? Anyone done this who can reassure me that I
won't regret it?

You'll regret it.

Oh come on! It's silly to make a bald statement like that without giving
reasons. Why would he regret it? and how do you know? He might be made of
sterner stuff than you ;-)

I've never known anyone who's regretted it.

Mary

John Rumm

Andy Dingley wrote:

No, because of the difficulty of sealing _between_ the boards, mainly
because of spills.

I think that would be my first concern, without adequate sealing between
the baords any spilt water is in danger of finding its way to the lath
and plaster ceiling below in very short order.

--
Cheers,

John.

Ric

"Mary Fisher" wrote in message
et...

"Mike" wrote in message

"Martin Pentreath" wrote in message
om...
I'm thinking of just sanding and varnishing the existing floorboards
in the bathroom of my victorian house. Is this a good idea in a room
which is going to have high levels of humidity? Could the boards warp
or get spoilt by water? Anyone done this who can reassure me that I
won't regret it?

You'll regret it.

Oh come on! It's silly to make a bald statement like that without giving
reasons. Why would he regret it? and how do you know? He might be made of
sterner stuff than you ;-)

I've never known anyone who's regretted it.

I regretted it

(what are we talking about?)

Mark

Mary Fisher sent this:

I always wonder why people say that bathrooms have high humidity. In our
experience (including thirty years when we had up to five children) our
bathroom hasn't been especially humid -

30s house ? nice big airvent on barthroom wall ?

--
Mark

Mary Fisher

"Mike" wrote in message

"Martin Pentreath" wrote in message
om...
I'm thinking of just sanding and varnishing the existing floorboards
in the bathroom of my victorian house. Is this a good idea in a room
which is going to have high levels of humidity? Could the boards warp
or get spoilt by water? Anyone done this who can reassure me that I
won't regret it?

You'll regret it.

Oh come on! It's silly to make a bald statement like that without giving
reasons. Why would he regret it? and how do you know? He might be made of
sterner stuff than you ;-)

I've never known anyone who's regretted it.

I regretted it

That doesn't mean that wossisname will.

(what are we talking about?)

Don't ask me. You'll only regret it.

Mary

Mary Fisher

"Mark" wrote in message
Mary Fisher sent this:

I always wonder why people say that bathrooms have high humidity. In our
experience (including thirty years when we had up to five children) our
bathroom hasn't been especially humid -

30s house ? nice big airvent on barthroom wall ?

Nothing special, just the usual - looks about 10"square. No fan. No opening
window.

Mary

--
Mark

Mark

Mary Fisher sent this:

"Mark" wrote in message
Mary Fisher sent this:

I always wonder why people say that bathrooms have high humidity. In our
experience (including thirty years when we had up to five children) our
bathroom hasn't been especially humid -

30s house ? nice big airvent on barthroom wall ?

Nothing special, just the usual - looks about 10"square.

Which would be about 10" bigger then most houses have :-)

--

Mark
Mary Fisher

"Mark" wrote in message
Mary Fisher sent this:

"Mark" wrote in message
Mary Fisher sent this:

I always wonder why people say that bathrooms have high humidity. In
our
experience (including thirty years when we had up to five children) our
bathroom hasn't been especially humid -

30s house ? nice big airvent on barthroom wall ?

Nothing special, just the usual - looks about 10"square.

Which would be about 10" bigger then most houses have :-)

I thought it was a legal requirement in rooms without a fireplace?

Mary

--

Mark

Bob Mannix

"Mike" wrote in message

[...]

What was the question? Ah yes. I have just painted the boards in my bathroom
(which is the world's smallest but has an extractor fan when the light's on
but which faces north with a solid wall). I also have long-showering
overspring (well one is).

Why not paint or varnish the boards? - if it doesn't work or suit you just
cover over them. It must be the cheapest and most non-invasive thing to do.
(I think they look nice painted myself, but then, I would). I can't see on
what grounds, therefore, anyone would regret it even if they did do
something else later.

--
Bob Mannix
(anti-spam is as easy as 1-2-3 - not)

Bob Mannix

"Bob Mannix" wrote in message

[...]

I agree. With everything.

Damn ;o)

Make the most of it.

Eee you're a hard woman

--
Bob Mannix
(anti-spam is as easy as 1-2-3 - not)

Mary Fisher

"Bob Mannix" wrote in message

I agree. With everything.

Damn ;o)

Make the most of it.

Eee you're a hard woman

I know.

Chortle - it always works!

MAry

--
Bob Mannix
(anti-spam is as easy as 1-2-3 - not)

Andy Dingley

It was somewhere outside Barstow when Cuprager
wrote:

Out of curiosity and not related to the op's question, *BUT* why did you
precede the op's question with "It was somewhere outside..."

Hunter S Thomson. Read "Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas" and you'll
understand. He won't, because as of last week, he's dead.

Pete

On Tue, 1 Mar 2005 19:23:02 -0700, "Mike" wrote:

"Mary Fisher" wrote in message
. net...
I'm thinking of just sanding and varnishing the existing floorboards
in the bathroom of my victorian house. Is this a good idea in a room
which is going to have high levels of humidity? Could the boards warp
or get spoilt by water? Anyone done this who can reassure me that I
won't regret it?

You'll regret it.

Oh come on! It's silly to make a bald statement like that without giving
reasons. Why would he regret it? and how do you know? He might be made of
sterner stuff than you ;-)

I've never known anyone who's regretted it.

Then you're obviously not heavily involved in the preservation and
renovation of old houses. This fashion fad of sanding floors is doing
massive damage to our housing infrastructure and is exactly what the
government should be concentrating on banning rather than making upgrading
the electrics difficult.

As a carpenter of 30 years standingf I'd say ********. Sanding and
stripping(caustic) are certainly damaging, but modern materials can
overcome the perceived problems. Sand your bathroom floor by all means
- then finish it with Danish oil. Read the instructionsd, do it
properly, and you'll never regret it.

Mary Fisher

"Mike" wrote in message

"Mary Fisher" wrote in message
et...
I'm thinking of just sanding and varnishing the existing floorboards
in the bathroom of my victorian house. Is this a good idea in a room
which is going to have high levels of humidity? Could the boards warp
or get spoilt by water? Anyone done this who can reassure me that I
won't regret it?

You'll regret it.

Oh come on! It's silly to make a bald statement like that without giving
reasons. Why would he regret it? and how do you know? He might be made of
sterner stuff than you ;-)

I've never known anyone who's regretted it.

Then you're obviously not heavily involved in the preservation and
renovation of old houses.

That's true. But even if I were it wouldn't follow that the OP would regret
sanding and varnishing his bathroom floor.

This fashion fad of sanding floors is doing
massive damage to our housing infrastructure and is exactly what the
government should be concentrating on banning rather than making upgrading
the electrics difficult.

Sanding doesn't take much off the infrastructure of a house!

I agree that Our Glorious Leader might just possibly have overstepped his
nannyism with Parts A - Z but please don't give him the idea of banning
sanding. He's banned enough, we're not going to have any pleasures left :-(

Mary

Mike

"Pete" wrote in message
news
[...]

What "modern material" can put back the often several millimeters of wood
that some amateurs remove ?
And what do you do next time ? Eventually there is no wood left.

Fortunately such work IS prohibited in listed buildings and IMO should be in
all properties older than say 1900.

Mary Fisher

"Mike" wrote in message

"Pete" wrote in message
news
[...]

How often are they going to remove several millimetres?

I think you're OTT.

Fortunately such work IS prohibited in listed buildings and IMO should be
in
all properties older than say 1900.

Will you be saying the same in 2105 about all properties older than say
2000?

Assuming you or your ilk are still around.

Mary

Mike

"Mary Fisher" wrote in message
news:4224ecff$0$2653 I'm thinking of just sanding and varnishing
[...]

Once is one too many

I think you're OTT.

Nonsense. Failing to preserve our buildings is a national disgrace.

Fortunately such work IS prohibited in listed buildings and IMO should

be
in
all properties older than say 1900.

Will you be saying the same in 2105 about all properties older than say
2000?

Doubt if any from now will be worth saving but if they are then yes.

Pete

On Tue, 1 Mar 2005 22:45:05 -0000, "Mike" wrote:

[...]

Oh dear. I despair/. The point about any good building aterial is that
it is renewable. A carpenter inj the 1890s would have done the best he
could; he wouldn't have expected his job to last forever. And our job
now is not to slavishly preserve the past but to invooke its spirit.;
2 mm and danish oil will do that. The next generation and the one
after that - who knows? But for the next 20 years - sand the crap
off, get back to lovely wood, and defend it as best we can.
Mike

"Pete" wrote in message

Oh dear. I despair/. The point about any good building aterial is that
it is renewable. A carpenter inj the 1890s would have done the best he
could; he wouldn't have expected his job to last forever. And our job
now is not to slavishly preserve the past but to invooke its spirit.;
2 mm and danish oil will do that. The next generation and the one
after that - who knows? But for the next 20 years - sand the crap
off, get back to lovely wood, and defend it as best we can.

I think any conservation officers reading this are despairing of your
comments right now. Do what you propose on any listed building or one in
certain conservation areas and you'll be quite rightly prosecuted.

If you want a shiny wood finish lay new boards over the old ones to preserve
the original as is.

Andy Dingley

It was somewhere outside Barstow when "Mike" wrote:

This fashion fad of sanding floors is doing
massive damage to our housing infrastructure

There's a little tear in your hat and the bogon flux is leaking in
again.

I've sanded loads of floors. I've removed more timber from them by
pulling out rotted boards entire than I've ever taken off the top by
sanding. Why don't you ban dry rot first ?

Andy Dingley

It was somewhere outside Barstow when "Mary Fisher"
wrote:

I thought it was a legal requirement in rooms without a fireplace?

Doesn't mean they've got them...

Mary Fisher

wrote:

I thought it was a legal requirement in rooms without a fireplace?

Doesn't mean they've got them...

They're supposed to be for a good reason - ventilation. If people don't have
them they shouldn't complain about steamy bathrooms :-)

Mary

Mary Fisher

"Mike" wrote in message

As a carpenter of 30 years standingf I'd say ********. Sanding and
stripping(caustic) are certainly damaging, but modern materials can
overcome the perceived problems.

What "modern material" can put back the often several millimeters of

wood
that some amateurs remove ?
And what do you do next time ? Eventually there is no wood left.

How often are they going to remove several millimetres?

Once is one too many

I think you're OTT.

Nonsense. Failing to preserve our buildings is a national disgrace.

As an archaeologist and life member of several preservations societies I
agree to a large extent. But not when it comes to sanding floors.

Fortunately such work IS prohibited in listed buildings and IMO should

be
in
all properties older than say 1900.

Will you be saying the same in 2105 about all properties older than say
2000?

Doubt if any from now will be worth saving but if they are then yes.

I rest my case. How many 1900 buildings are 'worth saving' and who decides
(you?).

Mary

Mary Fisher

"Pete" wrote in message
[...]

Or the worst he could get away with ...

he wouldn't have expected his job to last forever. And our job
now is not to slavishly preserve the past but to invooke its spirit.;
2 mm and danish oil will do that. The next generation and the one
after that - who knows? But for the next 20 years - sand the crap
off, get back to lovely wood, and defend it as best we can.

I agree.

Mary

Mary Fisher

"Mike" wrote in message

"Pete" wrote in message

Oh dear. I despair/. The point about any good building aterial is that
it is renewable. A carpenter inj the 1890s would have done the best he
could; he wouldn't have expected his job to last forever. And our job
now is not to slavishly preserve the past but to invooke its spirit.;
2 mm and danish oil will do that. The next generation and the one
after that - who knows? But for the next 20 years - sand the crap
off, get back to lovely wood, and defend it as best we can.

I think any conservation officers reading this are despairing of your
comments right now. Do what you propose on any listed building or one in
certain conservation areas and you'll be quite rightly prosecuted.

If you want a shiny wood finish lay new boards over the old ones to
preserve
the original as is.

No-one's talking about a shiny wood finish, you're making assumptions.
What's more, even if they were, what's wrong with a shiny new finish? Your
personal prejudices are showing.

And what's the point in hiding original features?

I don't know any historical buildings where that's done. That, before you
jump in to prove me wrong, doesn't mean that there aren't any.

Mary

Mark

On Tue, 01 Mar 2005 08:40:08 +0000, John Rumm
wrote:

Andy Dingley wrote:

No, because of the difficulty of sealing _between_ the boards, mainly
because of spills.

I think that would be my first concern, without adequate sealing between
the baords any spilt water is in danger of finding its way to the lath
and plaster ceiling below in very short order.

Definitely! Especially if you have children.....

Mark

Holly, in France

Martin Pentreath wrote in message ...
I'm thinking of just sanding and varnishing the existing floorboards
in the bathroom of my victorian house. Is this a good idea in a room
which is going to have high levels of humidity? Could the boards warp
or get spoilt by water? Anyone done this who can reassure me that I
won't regret it?

We have had a couple of bathrooms like this in the past and two out of
three are like that here, haven't regretted it so far. You do have to be
careful with spills though. Then again, the main bathroom here has
hardboard and lino on top (previous owner) and a shower screen which is
easy to leave ajar. The water just goes to the edge of the room and then
comes down through the gaps! We don't have downstairs ceilings, just
the undersides of the floorboards, which have years of water stains on
them already, so it's just a case of getting a towel upstairs and a
bucket downstairs. YMMV :-)
--
Holly, in France.
Holiday home in the Dordogne,

Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike
I think any conservation officers reading this are despairing of your comments right now. Do what you propose on any listed building or one in certain conservation areas and you'll be quite rightly prosecuted.

If you want a shiny wood finish lay new boards over the old ones to preserve
the original as is.
Slightly different problem: My house (listed) has floorboards which have never been sanded (well, not since 1933, at the very latest), but where some oik of a council officer decided in 1960 to glue lino tiles and then carpet (glued all over) on top. Do you have any suggestions on how to recover this (which moeover has been chopped up by various electricians and plumbers since the 60s) without sanding or wholesale replacement/covering?

Wooden Floors andrewpreece UK diy 6 November 17th 04 11:03 PM
hand planing a panel flat Dimit94844 Woodworking 5 November 2nd 04 12:47 AM
Bathroom fans improperly vented jeff Home Repair 11 June 4th 04 05:30 PM
Wood Floor in Bathroom Rob Gray Home Repair 5 February 23rd 04 04:28 AM
Bathroom restoration Zemedelec Home Repair 2 June 25th 03 06:49 PM