Dave Plowman (News)

In article ,
Doctor Evil wrote:
What, like choosing the right oil for a car?

Yep, always do. Look at the minimum API and go above it. You will find
makers recommend a "minimum". You can always go over, and it is best to
by using fully synthetics. Got it? I did write it slow because I know
you can't read fast.

Ok. I ' ll type this slow to match your brain. Synthetic
oils ain't suitable for many older engines - even those
in excellent condition.

I'm surprised you don't know this given your talents at quoting websites.

--
*Don't worry; it only seems kinky the first time.*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Dave Plowman (News)

In article .com,
wrote:
Do all posts that start of with genuine questions end up as slanging
matches?

Too many egos.

The only ego here belongs to John, aka Adam, IMM, Dr Evil etc, who claims
to be an expert in everything, but fails in every count when asked for
even the most basic credentials, and makes schoolboy howlers regularly. A
troll of the worst sort. Which is sad, given his pretty good knowledge of
maker's websites and specs for some things. But makes it difficult to sort
out the wheat from the chaff in his posts. Cry wolf, etc.

Plenty others give good, sound, advice.

--
*Sorry, I don't date outside my species.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Dave Plowman (News)

In article ,
Doctor Evil wrote:
You put in synthetic oils to what the makers API and viscosities state.
Modern common synthetics at the garages will not be within the stated
spec for older cars. A company called Penrite make synthetics
specifically for older engines. Got it? I doubt it.

Penrite certainly make 20-50 synthetic which 'may' be suitable for older
engines, but what about the oil filter? Or are they just another 'one size
fits all' you are so keen on? Then, of course, there are the materials
used for seals on older engines. Or perhaps you're happy for your *very*
expensive oil to end up on the floor?

--
*Pride is what we have. Vanity is what others have.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Christian McArdle

Can I have an open vented pumped CH system and gravity HW with a
condensing boiler?

No you can't.

Note that this requirement isn't about condensing boilers. There is already
a requirement to upgrade to fully pumped and controlled hot water cylinder
heating when replacing the boiler and has been for some years. So even if
you replace right now with a traditional boiler, it would be against
building regulations to keep the gravity hot water primary circulation.

Christian.

Mixing header and pumps John Aston UK diy 79 December 8th 04 09:50 AM
11degC across Boiler, why? Tom UK diy 54 September 24th 04 07:32 AM
Heat banks (again!) Dave UK diy 148 September 6th 04 08:45 PM
Near death boiler + replacing a boiler David Hearn UK diy 9 January 26th 04 12:44 PM
Replacing Conventional with Combi Boiler - How DIY is this ? Kevin UK diy 7 October 24th 03 11:07 PM