Peter Scott

Default Voice over IP free phones: good experience shared

Hope people feel this is appropriate to this NG. We're all in it to get
something better for less money.

From an article in New Scientist I found out about Skype. Seemed too good to
be true. The deal is that you create a Skype identity and go in a directory.
You can then call any other ID anywhere in the world for nothing. If you
want to call an ordinary landline or mobile you need money in your account
and dial using the on-screen keyboard or your real keyboard. This is called
SkypeOut. Using a pretty naff headset the quality is good to excellent and
there seems to be no noticeable latency delay. Connection is quicker than BT
if anything.

The rates look amazing. It's about 1.2 pence to a landline almost anywhere
in the world, and under 2 pence to a mobile. The exception, wouldn't you
believe it, is european mobiles, which are about 15 pence, and some less
developed countries.

I downloaded the software (free). I then put 10 euros into my account,
clamped on my headset and have been dialling UK local and national calls at
1.2p. I checked duration and cost and the rates are correct. So far I
haven't got any other Skype IDs so haven't tried the free service. I was
going to include mine but on second thoughts decided against as I don't want
dozens of test calls.

I think my next step is to get a Skype Cyberphone. They reckon it is just
the same as using a normal phone. Its 40ukp so I think I'll try out the
service for a bit longer first. There must be a catch!

BTW this is *not* an ad. I have no connection with Skype. Just wanted to
share this.

Address is www.skype.com

Peter Scott

Peter Scott

Skype

Just a small correction. I've just checked the international mobile rates,
and they do vary wildly. Many are a few pence but some are much more.

Peter Scott

The Natural Philosopher

Peter Scott wrote:

Hope people feel this is appropriate to this NG. We're all in it to get
something better for less money.

From an article in New Scientist I found out about Skype. Seemed too good to
[...]

Yes. with efficient bandwith usage, and multiplexing done by the magic
of IP and not by hugely expensive exhange kit, this is the way voice
will go eventually.

Actualy, you shopuld be paying almost nothing to connect to another IP
based phone - this service is interim stuff. Eventually we will all
simply have dial-by-IP address.

Dedicated IP phones are still expensive though. Wait a little.

This transformation - from IP over voice circuits to voice over IP
cuircuits has taken a few years to become reality. Its got a lot further
to go though,
tony sayer

Yes. with efficient bandwith usage, and multiplexing done by the magic
of IP and not by hugely expensive exhange kit, this is the way voice
will go eventually.

Actualy, you shopuld be paying almost nothing to connect to another IP
based phone - this service is interim stuff. Eventually we will all
simply have dial-by-IP address.

Dedicated IP phones are still expensive though. Wait a little.

This transformation - from IP over voice circuits to voice over IP
cuircuits has taken a few years to become reality. Its got a lot further
to go though,

Some useful info....

http://www.solwise.com/voiceoverip_intro.htm
--
Tony Sayer

Pet @ www.gymratz.co.uk

Peter Scott wrote:
Skype

Just a small correction. I've just checked the international mobile rates,
and they do vary wildly. Many are a few pence but some are much more.

Peter Scott

ANother vote for Skype here.
Only use it as an alternative to MSN mesenger as the sound quality is
superb.
In fact, we use MSN video from web-cam with Skype doing the audio.
Works perfectly.

There is also a Skype "answering machine" which records voice message if
call isn't answered.... though it can't see my sound card, so not as
good as it could be.

:¬¬)

http://gymratz.co.uk/hot-seat.htm - Live web-cam! (sometimes)

raden

In message , Peter Scott
writes
Skype

Just a small correction. I've just checked the international mobile rates,
and they do vary wildly. Many are a few pence but some are much more.

It's been going a couple of years now. My son is talking to his
girlfriend who is in America ATM computer to computer as I'm typing this

--
geoff
Peter Scott

Dedicated IP phones are still expensive though. Wait a little.

--
Tony Sayer

Skype sells a USB 'CyberPhone' (yuk) at just under 40 ukp. So things are
moving on rapidly.

Peter Scott

dave @ stejonda

In message , Peter Scott
writes

Dedicated IP phones are still expensive though. Wait a little.

--
Tony Sayer

Skype sells a USB 'CyberPhone' (yuk) at just under 40 ukp. So things are
moving on rapidly.

this one by any chance? (GBP35 at dabs)

http://tinyurl.com/4x69q
--
dave @ stejonda

http://costofwar.com/
Peter Scott

"dave @ stejonda" wrote in message
In message , Peter Scott
writes

Dedicated IP phones are still expensive though. Wait a little.

--
Tony Sayer

Skype sells a USB 'CyberPhone' (yuk) at just under 40 ukp. So things are
moving on rapidly.

this one by any chance? (GBP35 at dabs)

http://tinyurl.com/4x69q
--
dave @ stejonda

http://costofwar.com/

Well spotted Dave!

No I saw it as a link from Skype's own site but the Dabs one is cheaper.
Trouble is I had a lot of hassle with Dabs a while back. They delivered a
faulty processor and flatly refused to replace insisting that it had to be
returned to AMD. Explaining the law to them had no effect and in the end the
manager became quite offensive. Actually I meant to do them under the Data
Pro Act because they failed to remove my data from their system. But I never
got a round tuit. Hmmph!

Its tempting to use them but pride comes in here somewhere.

Peter Scott

Peter Scott

"dave @ stejonda" wrote in message
In message , Peter Scott
writes

Dedicated IP phones are still expensive though. Wait a little.

--
Tony Sayer

Skype sells a USB 'CyberPhone' (yuk) at just under 40 ukp. So things are
moving on rapidly.

this one by any chance? (GBP35 at dabs)

http://tinyurl.com/4x69q
--
dave @ stejonda

http://costofwar.com/

In fact once you've paid the postage the Skype web site offer is cheaper
than Dabs.

Peter Scott

Tony Hogarty

On Thu, 24 Feb 2005 11:27:42 +0000, Peter Scott wrote:

Its tempting to use them but pride comes in here somewhere.

It's not pride - don't reward poor service with more custom! How will you
feel if they send you a faulty phone and you have to go through the same
mess again?

--
Regards

Tony Hogarty
(Take out the garbage to reply)

Sam Nelson

In article ,
"Peter Scott" writes:
No I saw it as a link from Skype's own site but the Dabs one is cheaper.
Trouble is I had a lot of hassle with Dabs a while back. They delivered a
faulty processor and flatly refused to replace insisting that it had to be
returned to AMD. Explaining the law to them had no effect and in the end the
manager became quite offensive.

Trading Standards time, I think?
--
SAm.
Peter Scott

"Sam Nelson" wrote in message
In article ,
"Peter Scott" writes:
No I saw it as a link from Skype's own site but the Dabs one is cheaper.
Trouble is I had a lot of hassle with Dabs a while back. They delivered

faulty processor and flatly refused to replace insisting that it had to

be
returned to AMD. Explaining the law to them had no effect and in the end

the
manager became quite offensive.

Trading Standards time, I think?
--
SAm.

You are right of course. But I am a busy person and sometimes it is not
worth the inevitable time- and energy-consuming battle.

Peter Scott

jog

On Thu, 24 Feb 2005 12:28:39 -0000, "Peter Scott"
wrote:

"Sam Nelson" wrote in message
In article ,
"Peter Scott" writes:
No I saw it as a link from Skype's own site but the Dabs one is cheaper.
Trouble is I had a lot of hassle with Dabs a while back. They delivered

faulty processor and flatly refused to replace insisting that it had to

be
returned to AMD. Explaining the law to them had no effect and in the end

the
manager became quite offensive.

Trading Standards time, I think?
--

I suggest that you drop an email to the Dab's owner (forgotten his
name) ,

When I had a problem a few years back I found him to be very
approachable and helpful.

Very little stress + little time = complete satisfaction

rockdoctor

"Peter Scott" wrote in message ...
"dave @ stejonda" wrote in message
In message , Peter Scott
writes

Dedicated IP phones are still expensive though. Wait a little.

--
Tony Sayer

Skype sells a USB 'CyberPhone' (yuk) at just under 40 ukp. So things are
moving on rapidly.

this one by any chance? (GBP35 at dabs)

http://tinyurl.com/4x69q
--
dave @ stejonda

http://costofwar.com/

In fact once you've paid the postage the Skype web site offer is cheaper
than Dabs.

Peter Scott

Sadly neither of the phones offered on the Skype site is Mac-compatible.

Colin

Not wanting to hijack the thread but...

Has anyone tried using skype over a dial-up connection? Does it work?

Colin

William Joones

No I saw it as a link from Skype's own site but the Dabs one is cheaper.
Trouble is I had a lot of hassle with Dabs a while back. They delivered a
faulty processor and flatly refused to replace insisting that it had to be
returned to AMD. Explaining the law to them had no effect and in the end the
manager became quite offensive. Actually I meant to do them under the Data
Pro Act because they failed to remove my data from their system. But I never
got a round tuit. Hmmph!

Its tempting to use them but pride comes in here somewhere.

Peter Scott

Absolutley nothing to do with this thread - but if that was my
experience of a company I would refuse to ever do business with them
again. Full stop. I doubt it will change the company's working
practices, but it makes me feel better.
John Rumm

dave @ stejonda wrote:

this one by any chance? (GBP35 at dabs)

http://tinyurl.com/4x69q

Here you go, cheaper still:

http://www.firebox.com/index.html?di...oduct&pid=1025

--
Cheers,

John.

John Rumm

Colin wrote:

Not wanting to hijack the thread but...

Has anyone tried using skype over a dial-up connection? Does it work?

It does... Voice quality is fine (at least as good as a ordinary land
line call - as opposed to skype over broadband where the voice quality
seems better than a landline). There is a GSM Mobile esque delay to the
voice however, which makes conversation slightly less "comfortable".

Can be handy when you need to chat at the same time as use the modem and
there is only one line.

--
Cheers,

John.

The Natural Philosopher

Colin wrote:

Not wanting to hijack the thread but...

Has anyone tried using skype over a dial-up connection? Does it work?

Colin

Should almost do. But of course it will fully occupy it. And sound a bit
dire.

dave @ stejonda

In message , John
Rumm writes
dave @ stejonda wrote:

this one by any chance? (GBP35 at dabs)
http://tinyurl.com/4x69q

Here you go, cheaper still:

http://www.firebox.com/index.html?di...oduct&pid=1025

ta - In the Q&A section on Firebox it says - "Q. I cannot hear the other
person or the other person cannot hear me during a VoIP call? A. You are
accessing the Internet through a Firewall, Proxy or NAT system.
Generally these allow outgoing data without interference, but with only
'recognised' data types being allowed back in. Hence they hear you but
you can't hear them. "

I guess that would be a symptom of SPI?

--
dave @ stejonda
John Rumm

The Natural Philosopher wrote:

Has anyone tried using skype over a dial-up connection? Does it work?

Colin

Should almost do. But of course it will fully occupy it. And sound a bit
dire.

You need about 21kb/sec for decent quality. So if you are using a V90/92
modem you ought to only be using about half of your available bandwidth.
If you are running the VoIP along with another application that can
saturate the link however, you will need something that can do traffic
shaping otherwise you may glitch the audio.

--
Cheers,

John.

John Rumm

dave @ stejonda wrote:

ta - In the Q&A section on Firebox it says - "Q. I cannot hear the other
person or the other person cannot hear me during a VoIP call? A. You are
accessing the Internet through a Firewall, Proxy or NAT system.
Generally these allow outgoing data without interference, but with only
'recognised' data types being allowed back in. Hence they hear you but
you can't hear them. "

I guess that would be a symptom of SPI?

SPI? or do you mean SIP (i.e. Session Initiation Protocol)..

You can get a problem with routers that use NAT and are not SIP or H.323
aware. Sometimes these are issues relating to protocols that embed the
PCs actual IP address inside packets, a NAT router will hence need to
spot these and rewrite the addresses, if end to end comms are to work
correctly.

Other times it can simply be that the router needs its packet filter
configured to allow the packets types through, or possibly a NAT
forwarding entry added to get the packets to the correct computer.

--
Cheers,

John.

Grimly Curmudgeon

It was somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the
drugs began to take hold. I remember jog saying something like:

Dabs

I suggest that you drop an email to the Dab's owner (forgotten his
name) ,

David Atherton. He used to lurk in uk.comp.vendors but I don't know if
he still does.

When I had a problem a few years back I found him to be very
approachable and helpful.

Certainly when he saw something in ucv he would sort it out promptly.
--

Dave
Tony Hogarty

On Thu, 24 Feb 2005 20:37:06 +0000, John Rumm wrote:

dave @ stejonda wrote:

ta - In the Q&A section on Firebox it says - "Q. I cannot hear the other
person or the other person cannot hear me during a VoIP call? A. You are
accessing the Internet through a Firewall, Proxy or NAT system.
Generally these allow outgoing data without interference, but with only
'recognised' data types being allowed back in. Hence they hear you but
you can't hear them. "

I guess that would be a symptom of SPI?

SPI? or do you mean SIP (i.e. Session Initiation Protocol)..

Stateful Packet Inspection I suspect?

--
Regards

Tony Hogarty
(Take out the garbage to reply)

Peter Scott

"Grimly Curmudgeon" wrote in message
It was somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the
drugs began to take hold. I remember jog saying something like:

Dabs

I suggest that you drop an email to the Dab's owner (forgotten his
name) ,

David Atherton. He used to lurk in uk.comp.vendors but I don't know if
he still does.

When I had a problem a few years back I found him to be very
approachable and helpful.

Certainly when he saw something in ucv he would sort it out promptly.
--

Dave

Thank you. That's very useful. I will try that. I usually believe that
attitudes towards customers come down from the top. Perhaps not in this
case, in the light of the comments about him.

Peter Scott

Peter Scott

"John Rumm" wrote in message
dave @ stejonda wrote:

this one by any chance? (GBP35 at dabs)

http://tinyurl.com/4x69q

Here you go, cheaper still:

http://www.firebox.com/index.html?di...oduct&pid=1025

--
Cheers,

John.

Brilliant! Just ordered one. I'll post when I've tried it.

Peter Scott

Pete C

On Thu, 24 Feb 2005 10:43:17 +0000, "dave @ stejonda"
wrote:

In message , Peter Scott
writes

Dedicated IP phones are still expensive though. Wait a little.

--
Tony Sayer

Skype sells a USB 'CyberPhone' (yuk) at just under 40 ukp. So things are
moving on rapidly.

this one by any chance? (GBP35 at dabs)

http://tinyurl.com/4x69q

Hi,

VOIP routers and RJ11 adapters are just around the corner.

Before long it should be possible to use a PC as a VOIP PABX.

cheers,
Pete.
Owain

"Pete C" wrote
| Before long it should be possible to use a PC as a VOIP PABX.

Yes, somebody will write something like, umm, Asterisk.

Owain

Peter

Do you know if there is a VOIP gadget that will fit between the
telephone line a telephone and which will connect to the PC USB port
and act a sound card and ringer.

i.e. It will allow a regular telephone to be used to do the VOIP via
the PC and when a VOIP telephone call comes in will make the regular
telephone ring.

Pete C

On Fri, 25 Feb 2005 15:03:07 +0000, Peter
wrote:

Do you know if there is a VOIP gadget that will fit between the
telephone line a telephone and which will connect to the PC USB port
and act a sound card and ringer.

i.e. It will allow a regular telephone to be used to do the VOIP via
the PC and when a VOIP telephone call comes in will make the regular
telephone ring.

Hi,

Theres a few on Ebay:

http://search.ebay.co.uk/voip-usb-rj11_W0QQsofocusZbsQQsbrftogZ1QQfromZR10QQsacatZ-1QQcatrefZC6QQfltZ9QQftrtZ1QQftrvZ1QQsadisZ200QQfp osZKT89AXQQfsopZ1QQfsooZ1QQcoactionZcompareQQcopag enumZ1QQcoentrypageZsearch

I'm not sure whether they will also connect to the normal line though.

cheers,
Pete.
Peter

Excellent, thanks,
This item looks good from the hits your Google search found

TransAkt/IPmental USB to RJ11 Skype Box and more
eBay item: 5168843335

John Rumm

Steve Firth wrote:

Peter wrote:

Do you know if there is a VOIP gadget that will fit between the
telephone line a telephone and which will connect to the PC USB port
and act a sound card and ringer.

Draytek have an ADSL modem with a phone jack on hte back. Plug your
standard phone into the ADSL modem to get VoIP. They also offer routing
to PSTN at reasonable prices.

Solwise are just about to launch a VoIP gateway / ethernet-ethernet
router that has POTS pass though, and can sit in front of an existing
cable modem / adsl router. Cost will in the region of 40 quid IIUC.

--
Cheers,

John.

Rick

On Wed, 23 Feb 2005 11:15:06 -0000, "Peter Scott"
wrote:

Hope people feel this is appropriate to this NG. We're all in it to get
something better for less money.

From an article in New Scientist I found out about Skype. Seemed too good to
[...]

VOIP is going to turn the telecoms market arround. You are still using
the same wires, but the ISP connection model, is different from the
normal telecoms charging model, so for many calls VOIP is much
cheeper.

In countries with deregulated internet services, but regulated voice
services, its going to make a mockery of the regulator.

Rick

Peter

Draytek have an ADSL modem with a phone jack on hte back. Plug your
standard phone into the ADSL modem to get VoIP. They also offer routing
to PSTN at reasonable prices.

Great, that and the new Solwise design seem ideal. Does these hardware
VOIP designs conform to an open standard ?

-
I am a bunny rabbit
Sitting in me hutch
I like to sit up this end
I don’t care for that end much.

Peter

VOIP is going to turn the telecoms market arround. You are still using
the same wires, but the ISP connection model, is different from the
normal telecoms charging model, so for many calls VOIP is much
cheeper.

Sure. If and when Always connected wireless also takes off it's going
to also change the mobile market a lot too. I hope it is the end of
extortionate mobile bills!

John Rumm

Peter wrote:

Draytek have an ADSL modem with a phone jack on hte back. Plug your
standard phone into the ADSL modem to get VoIP. They also offer routing
to PSTN at reasonable prices.

Great, that and the new Solwise design seem ideal. Does these hardware
VOIP designs conform to an open standard ?

Looks like it:

http://www.solwiseforum.co.uk/downlo...or_RouterP.pdf

--
Cheers,

John.

Chris

John Rumm wrote:
Peter wrote:

Draytek have an ADSL modem with a phone jack on hte back. Plug your
standard phone into the ADSL modem to get VoIP. They also offer routing
to PSTN at reasonable prices.

Great, that and the new Solwise design seem ideal. Does these hardware
VOIP designs conform to an open standard ?

Looks like it:

http://www.solwiseforum.co.uk/downlo...or_RouterP.pdf

However, I thought Skype wasn't standards compliant (though I'm open to
be corrected on this):

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2004/06..._versus_skype/

Cheers,

Chris

--
Cut along the dotted line to reply
John Rumm

Chris wrote:

However, I thought Skype wasn't standards compliant (though I'm open to
be corrected on this):

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2004/06..._versus_skype/

I did ask the question if it would integrate with skypeout, and they
answered that it would. To be honest I am not convinced as yet. I will
reserve judgment until I have had a chance to play with one.

--
Cheers,

John.