Kiran

Default Replacing a boiler

Currently have a Thorn M30/42c floorstanding boiler in our kitchen. It's
fitted within the old chimney breast and uses the chimney as its flue. It is
about 20 years old and has a max output of 40,000 btus, so we're looking for
something a bit more powerful.

Is there anything currently on the market that would be a simple replacement
for this?

Thanks

RedOnRed

"Kiran" wrote in message
Currently have a Thorn M30/42c floorstanding boiler in our kitchen. It's
fitted within the old chimney breast and uses the chimney as its flue. It
is about 20 years old and has a max output of 40,000 btus, so we're
looking for something a bit more powerful.

Is there anything currently on the market that would be a simple
replacement for this?

Thanks

If there is a suitable replacement you need to find it and get it installed
quickly. Because from 01/04/05 your only choice will be a high efficiency
boiler, which most likely won't be able to be installed like-for-like.

In fact even now it's doubtful you'd get away with using the chimney breast
as a flue.

Our boiler is a 28 year old floor standing Ideal boiler. It's still working
fine and I would have no hesitation in recommending you look at Ideal's
range of floor standing boilers.

Ian_m

"RedOnRed" wrote in message

"Kiran" wrote in message
[...]

My mates just had a new back boiler fitted about a week ago, non-condensing
like for like'ish replacement (old Baxi replaced with new Baxi). Fitter
decided impractical to fit a condensing boiler, without major replumbing, so
just fitted a back boiler. Works fine.

KS

Ian_m wrote:
"RedOnRed" wrote in message

"Kiran" wrote in message
[...]

That's what I'm hoping for. If we can fit a like for like, it will
avoid the need potentially to demolish the chimney and find a route for
the flue for a new boiler, as well as potential difficulties for the
water pipe needed for a condensing combi....

I've seen the Ideal floorstanders. Spec looks ok. I'm assuming my old
Thorn uses a conventional flue? Can't seem to find any details about it
on the web.

I should also add that although it uses the chimney as a flue, the
chimney at the top does seem to have a proper vent (if that's the
correct word) and it is sealed at the bottom.

Doctor Evil

"Kiran" wrote in message
Currently have a Thorn M30/42c floorstanding boiler in our kitchen. It's
fitted within the old chimney breast and uses the chimney as its flue. It

is
about 20 years old and has a max output of 40,000 btus, so we're looking

for
something a bit more powerful.

Is there anything currently on the market that would be a simple

replacement
for this?

Thanks

Look at a Keston. They have long plastic flue systems using cheap drain
pipes. It can use the existing flue. A high efficiency boiler. Best go for
one of these rather than an old fashioned designed open flued cast-iron
clunker. These are worst of all worlds.

Usenet Zone Free Binaries Usenet Server
More than 120,000 groups
Unlimited download

RedOnRed

"Doctor Evil" wrote in message

"Kiran" wrote in message
Currently have a Thorn M30/42c floorstanding boiler in our kitchen. It's
fitted within the old chimney breast and uses the chimney as its flue. It

is
about 20 years old and has a max output of 40,000 btus, so we're looking

for
something a bit more powerful.

Is there anything currently on the market that would be a simple

replacement
for this?

Thanks

Look at a Keston. They have long plastic flue systems using cheap drain
pipes. It can use the existing flue. A high efficiency boiler. Best go
for
one of these rather than an old fashioned designed open flued cast-iron
clunker. These are worst of all worlds.

Well my "old fashioned designed open flued cast iron clunker" is 28 years
old and still going strong. I've been told by many a plumber that i'll be
lucky to get 8 years out of a new boiler.

Usenet Zone Free Binaries Usenet Server
More than 120,000 groups
Unlimited download

Dave Plowman (News)

In article ,
Kiran wrote:
Currently have a Thorn M30/42c floorstanding boiler in our kitchen. It's
fitted within the old chimney breast and uses the chimney as its flue.
It is about 20 years old and has a max output of 40,000 btus, so we're
looking for something a bit more powerful.

Is there anything currently on the market that would be a simple
replacement for this?

IMHO for safety reasons I'd not use a CF boiler - and pretty well all
modern ones are RS (room sealed) in that they draw both their combustion
air and vent to the outside. It's a much safer arrangement - if anything
goes wrong there's little chance of poisonous fumes entering the house.

--
*Money isn't everything, but it sure keeps the kids in touch.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Heat banks (again!) Dave UK diy 148 September 6th 04 08:45 PM
Boiler TP valve problems? Linc Vannah Home Repair 9 May 8th 04 02:20 AM
Near death boiler + replacing a boiler David Hearn UK diy 9 January 26th 04 12:44 PM
Replacing a boiler David Hearn UK diy 38 November 12th 03 11:10 PM
Replacing Conventional with Combi Boiler - How DIY is this ? Kevin UK diy 7 October 24th 03 11:07 PM