Default Access to CH drain under hall carpet

HID has decided that the rear corridor (6m x 0.7m) should have a fitted
carpet. Trouble is that the CH drain point and shut off valves for the
bedrooms (single storey cottage) are under a couple of lifting boards
about 2m from one end.

What's the best options please ?

Rob

Owain

Rob wrote
| HID has decided that the rear corridor (6m x 0.7m) should
| have a fitted carpet. Trouble is that the CH drain point
| and shut off valves for the bedrooms (single storey
| cottage) are under a couple of lifting boards about 2m
| from one end.
| What's the best options please ?

You can get double-sealed manhole covers which give a flush finish and
accept a panel of eg laminate, for when sewers have to run under interior
floors. I don't know how well carpet would fit into the cover panel. Another
option would be the floorboxes used for concealed power and data points in
offices -- they are designed to accept carpet. Neither will be invisible.

Owain

John

"Owain" wrote in message
Rob wrote
| HID has decided that the rear corridor (6m x 0.7m) should
| have a fitted carpet. Trouble is that the CH drain point
| and shut off valves for the bedrooms (single storey
| cottage) are under a couple of lifting boards about 2m
| from one end.
| What's the best options please ?

You can get double-sealed manhole covers which give a flush finish and
accept a panel of eg laminate, for when sewers have to run under interior
floors. I don't know how well carpet would fit into the cover panel.
Another
option would be the floorboxes used for concealed power and data points in
offices -- they are designed to accept carpet. Neither will be invisible.

I come across "a lot" of such installations where lifting one end and
rolling back of the fitted carpet is required. Considering the frequency of
access required its no big thing to simply do the same. Just don't glue the
carpet down.
The carpet may well be at the renewal stage before you next need to access
the valves.

Ian_m

wrote in message
ups.com...
HID has decided that the rear corridor (6m x 0.7m) should have a fitted
carpet. Trouble is that the CH drain point and shut off valves for the
bedrooms (single storey cottage) are under a couple of lifting boards
about 2m from one end.

What's the best options please ?

If it is just the drain valve you want access to, I extended my pipework in
one house to have a hose attachment point outside and a valve located inside
under a radiator poking up through the carpet. SWMBO not too happy about
valve but eventually forgot. To drain system (close header tank) attach hose
pipe outside emptying into suitable foul water drain and open valve, worked
a charm. Used an electric drill pump to get the last water out the bits
under the floor.

Fitting cheap carpet Jackie UK diy 7 June 5th 04 09:30 AM
Water heater pressure relief value drip Remove dots from userid to reply Home Repair 29 May 17th 04 07:46 PM
Easy drain central heating John Rumm UK diy 5 March 30th 04 10:58 PM
What to do with Wet Carpet in a house? TURTLE Home Repair 23 March 4th 04 02:17 AM
while *laying* carpet; anticipating human "cow-trails"? David Combs Home Repair 7 January 31st 04 06:33 PM