NickWW

Default Boiler Noise

Hello all,

I have a Gloworm 80E boiler in my house. When the heating kicks in a
noise resonates throughout the house (sounds like it is from the
boiler) the noise sounds like a hoover starting up and shutting down.
Also slight bubbling noise. Only happens every now and again but very
annoying. Could it be the pump? The rads dont appear to have any
airlock and they are red hot.

I'm a very basic novice on these things and I wont be attempting
anything out of my depth. I just want a rough idea before I call
someone out.

Thanks for you help people.
Nick

Old Bill

NickWW wrote:
Hello all,

I have a Gloworm 80E boiler in my house. When the heating kicks in a
noise resonates throughout the house (sounds like it is from the
boiler) the noise sounds like a hoover starting up and shutting down.
Also slight bubbling noise. Only happens every now and again but very
annoying. Could it be the pump? The rads dont appear to have any
airlock and they are red hot.

I'm a very basic novice on these things and I wont be attempting
anything out of my depth. I just want a rough idea before I call
someone out.

Thanks for you help people.
Nick

could be air in the system or maybe the pump is begining to fail.
http://www.diynot.com/pages/pl/pl034.php
RedOnRed

"Old Bill" wrote in message
NickWW wrote:
Hello all,

I have a Gloworm 80E boiler in my house. When the heating kicks in a
noise resonates throughout the house (sounds like it is from the
boiler) the noise sounds like a hoover starting up and shutting down.
Also slight bubbling noise. Only happens every now and again but very
annoying. Could it be the pump? The rads dont appear to have any
airlock and they are red hot.

I'm a very basic novice on these things and I wont be attempting
anything out of my depth. I just want a rough idea before I call
someone out.

Thanks for you help people.
Nick

could be air in the system or maybe the pump is begining to fail.
http://www.diynot.com/pages/pl/pl034.php

I've had similar noise problems with my boiler. However, my boiler is 28
years old, so it's lucky to be working at all.

I have found that there is one particular radiator that seems to need
bleeding weekly. Providing I do that then the boiler mostly seems to stay
quiet.

The boiler also has what's called kettling when it first comes on. Which
basically means it makes a noisey knocking noise but then quietens down. I
found Fernox Boiler Silencer...

http://www.fernox.com/?cccpage=sc_bo...silencer&sub=9

to be quite effective at sorting that out. It's available from any plumbers
mecrhant or large DIY place. Is easy to apply and costs around £25.

NickWW

Thankyou both for your valuable help. What i have done is knock the
pump speed from '3' to '2' It is now much quieter (but still there,
setting 1 was simply too low for the flame to maintain heating). Also
with regards to 'Kettling' I would'nt go as far to say it bangs at all
or rattles, more like a boiling with air bubble noise when the heating
kicks in.

If the pump is faulty would it still provide red hot heating to all
rads, upstairs and downstairs?

BTW its a Gloworm 100E not 80E (ive got the pressure at 1.5 bar as
recommended in the manual).

Thankyou chaps

Near death boiler + replacing a boiler David Hearn UK diy 9 January 26th 04 12:44 PM
noise from boiler hackus Home Ownership 3 January 18th 04 06:59 PM
Boiler kettling? David Hearn UK diy 5 January 1st 04 07:47 PM
Banshee noise from boiler Andy R UK diy 5 November 26th 03 09:13 PM
CH boiler - making droning noise - Potterton Suprima 60 Eric the Red UK diy 2 September 29th 03 03:01 PM