Simon

Default tiling onto browning plaster

I'm replacing a few tiles (about 25) on a fully tiled bathroom wall,
and where I've removed the old ones, the skim plaster coat has come
off, leaving browning underneath (which is flat). Can I tile onto the
browning coat with a slightly thicker layer of adhesive ? If not, what
is the minimum state to get the wall into for the tiles ?
TIA,
Simon.
Steven Briggs

In message , Simon
writes
I'm replacing a few tiles (about 25) on a fully tiled bathroom wall,
and where I've removed the old ones, the skim plaster coat has come
off, leaving browning underneath (which is flat). Can I tile onto the
browning coat with a slightly thicker layer of adhesive ? If not, what
is the minimum state to get the wall into for the tiles ?
TIA,
Simon.

Seal the browning with diluted PVA first.
Small bits of missing skim shouldn't be a problem, but if areas are
larger than a tile then the extra thickness of adhesive required can
make placing the tiles more tricky.
I'm in process of tiling a bathroom now, odd missing bits of finish
plaster I'm just tiling over as above. Where a shower valve was set in
to the wall, it was just plastered round with undercoat plaster, not
finishing skim - no point.

In fact, even worse, I had the move the flippin shower valve 1/4" due to
the tiles being narrower than expected, I replastered around it, and
then tiled straight on top of the small area of plaster then hadn't even
set.

Now where's me horse?
--
steve

Tiling on fresh plaster Dave UK diy 2 January 12th 05 11:26 AM
tiling plaster walls. [email protected] Home Repair 5 December 12th 04 02:31 AM
video on plastering TXXT123 UK diy 9 September 2nd 04 11:21 PM
Tiling over new plaster Nodge UK diy 2 August 28th 04 10:19 PM
How can I fix cracks in plaster of old house? Phil Munro Home Repair 5 October 18th 03 10:48 AM