Nodge

Default Tiling over new plaster

I've just removed the old tiles in my bathroom and made good with Wickes
Universal Plaster. Can I just tile over this as soon as it looks dry (one or
two days perhaps) or do I have to wait weeks?

Nodge

Andrew Gabriel

In article ,
"Nodge" writes:
I've just removed the old tiles in my bathroom and made good with Wickes
Universal Plaster. Can I just tile over this as soon as it looks dry (one or
two days perhaps) or do I have to wait weeks?

The tile adhesive I last used required walls/plaster to be completely
dried out before use. There are probably some that don't, because I
doubt most builders would wait that long. If you just reskimmed, a few
days after it looks dry (gone back to light colour if pink plaster)
would probably be good enough, but if it was a new brick wall and fully
plastered, it takes much longer to dry out.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Gordon Henderson

In article lgate.org,
Michael Mcneil wrote:
"Andrew Gabriel" wrote in message

The tile adhesive I last used required walls/plaster to be completely
dried out before use. There are probably some that don't, because I
doubt most builders would wait that long. If you just reskimmed, a few
days after it looks dry (gone back to light colour if pink plaster)
would probably be good enough, but if it was a new brick wall and fully
plastered, it takes much longer to dry out.

It takes about 3 days to dry it unaided in summer with good ventilation
for painting. I've no idea what the requirements are for tiling. How
does the water from the tile adhesive get out I wonder?

I think the theory goes that it escapes through the gaps you leave
between them in the 24 hours you leave it before grouting...

I have just put down 200 tiles in the bathroom including 100 fancy
itsy bitsy sandblasted glass jobbies that SWIMBO fancied... I hate
tiling. Still, it does look infinitely better than the mouldy stained
wood panels we had in before! Now to finish off the grouting )-:

Gordon

video on plastering TXXT123 UK diy 9 September 2nd 04 11:21 PM
plastering Jon W UK diy 12 March 8th 04 11:13 PM
How can I fix cracks in plaster of old house? Phil Munro Home Repair 5 October 18th 03 10:48 AM