MXH

Default Central Heating question

I'm putting in a new radiator in an 'out of the way' location - The
central heating is a standard 'feed and return' type. Can I just plumb
into the existing 22mm feed and return pipes and use 15mm pipe to get
to the radiator which is about 4mtrs away, or must I re-route the 22mm
pipe to nearer to the radiator.

In short, the question is 'what is the maximum distance for a 'spur'
from the main 22mm pipe'?

Hope that makes sense

Mike
Pet @ www.gymratz.co.uk

MXH wrote:
I'm putting in a new radiator in an 'out of the way' location - The
central heating is a standard 'feed and return' type. Can I just plumb
into the existing 22mm feed and return pipes and use 15mm pipe to get
to the radiator which is about 4mtrs away, or must I re-route the 22mm
pipe to nearer to the radiator.

In short, the question is 'what is the maximum distance for a 'spur'
from the main 22mm pipe'?

Hope that makes sense

In my non-professional opinion, 4m is no problem at all.
in fact, any distance to a single or even multiples of radiatiors is no
problem at all in 15mm.

In my first house (3 bed. semi) the entire system was plumbed in 15mm
(except for the 28mm from the back boiler to the hot water
tank/pump/3-way valve, and worked a treat heating up really quickly over
the whole hose.

http://gymratz.co.uk/hot-seat.htm - Live web-cam! (sometimes)
Set Square

MXH wrote:

I'm putting in a new radiator in an 'out of the way' location - The
central heating is a standard 'feed and return' type. Can I just plumb
into the existing 22mm feed and return pipes and use 15mm pipe to get
to the radiator which is about 4mtrs away, or must I re-route the 22mm
pipe to nearer to the radiator.

In short, the question is 'what is the maximum distance for a 'spur'
from the main 22mm pipe'?

Hope that makes sense

Mike

There is no absolute limit to the length - the limiting factor usually being
the heat output of the radiator concerned. 15mm pipe is generally reckoned
to be good for 6kW - which would require a pretty big radiator! Maybe at 4
metres you should downrate it to 5kW - but even so, a single radiator is
unlikely to exceed that.

Plan your pipe runs carefully to avoid air locks, and make sure you put
drain cocks at the lowest points.
--
Cheers,
Set Square

Rayburn integrated into central heating David Cawkwell UK diy 2 February 8th 05 06:23 PM
Gas Central Heating question p UK diy 4 November 7th 04 09:38 PM
Central heating with no heating controls Hugo Nebula UK diy 7 October 18th 04 10:17 AM
Modification to central heating system. Chaz Packer UK diy 3 March 12th 04 07:37 PM
Central Heating costs + other questions The Question Asker UK diy 7 December 1st 03 06:28 PM