Andrew

Default RENDERING MADE EASY?!!

Help! We are in the process of renovating an old French farmhouse which
requires a lot of rendering. Most surfaces to be rendered are brickwork and
some cob walls. Is there are an easy way or is it a laborious backbreaking
process! Any advice on the best mix would be most welcome! Regards Andrew

Alex

Shouting does not help

Mike

"Andrew" wrote in message
Help! We are in the process of renovating an old French farmhouse which
requires a lot of rendering. Most surfaces to be rendered are brickwork

and
some cob walls. Is there are an easy way or is it a laborious backbreaking
process! Any advice on the best mix would be most welcome! Regards Andrew

Is this Portland or lime cement ?

Mike

On this great daySun, 20 Feb 2005 20:07:45 -0000, "Mike"
wrote:

snipped
Is this Portland or lime cement ?

French ...... lookin at where he is!

Mike

Pullout "stop" to reply by email
Mike

"Mike" wrote in message
On this great daySun, 20 Feb 2005 20:07:45 -0000, "Mike"
wrote:

snipped
Is this Portland or lime cement ?

French ...... lookin at where he is!

They use both - hence the question. They have sprayers for the lime based
stuff.

Anna Kettle

On Sun, 20 Feb 2005 10:58:13 +0000 (UTC), "Andrew"
wrote:

Help! We are in the process of renovating an old French farmhouse which
requires a lot of rendering. Most surfaces to be rendered are brickwork and
some cob walls. Is there are an easy way or is it a laborious backbreaking
process! Any advice on the best mix would be most welcome! Regards Andrew

Well you will build up lots of muscles you didn't know you had. Use
lime mortar with no cement in it on an old house. I believe French
builders / builders merchants know as little about lime as they do
here in England, but chase up a French company called St Astier who
make hydraulic lime. Their web pages are helpful. What St Astier don't
make is non-hydraulic lime (aka putty lime or hydrated lime) which
would be better for the cob but is I think almost unheard of in France
so if you go the St Astier route then use the most feebly hydraulic
lime they make which may be NHL 2

The two bits of kit you can use to make the work less exhausting are

1. A mixer. A pan mill mixes better than a cement mixer, but is less
readily available
2. An applicator gun. These are used more frequently in France than
here in England. You will still have to rub up the surface

Anna

~~ Anna Kettle, Suffolk, England
|""""| ~ Lime plaster repairs
/ ^^ \ // Freehand modelling in lime: overmantels, pargeting etc
|____| www.kettlenet.co.uk 01359 230642

Quick and Easy Money [email protected] Metalworking 4 February 11th 05 04:59 PM
Custom made table saw Marton Czebe Woodworking 13 October 30th 04 12:24 AM
easy money Onemoredrunk Home Ownership 0 October 11th 04 01:00 AM
Best three easy improvements to my shop. How about yours? Rich Stern Woodworking 112 February 20th 04 10:57 PM
A question for anyone who has made a rotary tool shank. John Doe Woodworking 6 February 14th 04 01:21 AM