Grimly Curmudgeon

It was somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the
drugs began to take hold. I remember Lurch
saying something like:

On Tue, 22 Feb 2005 23:32:00 +0000, Grimly Curmudgeon
strung together this:

Here we go:
http://electrical-contractor.net/ubb...ML/000323.html

full of pics of pro disasters.

Holy ****!

You can spend days there, I have!

I think some of the perpetrators should be spending time somewhere else.
--

Dave
Bill

In message , Tony Bryer
writes
In article , Andy
Luckman (AJL Electronics) wrote:
Another gem I found last year, was the shower fed by a spur off
the ring main. 9kW was not a sensible load methinks!

According to the Triton website FAQ this is not uncommon

I'll second that. My present house had been seriously DIY'd by the
previous owner and that included a 7kW shower. Fed with 2.5T&E from the
CU and with a fused spur just out side the shower room. The 13A fuse
blew after 3 or 4 showers, I imagine it didn't blow immediately because
the volts drop in the cable was such that the current wasn't much above
13A anyway. After replacing the cable the shower was a heck of a lot
hotter.
The rest of the wiring, plumbing etc. wasn't much better either. When I
took a close look at a stud wall it was over the carpet of the room it
was dividing, he hadn't even bothered to lift it before constructing the
wall.
The most amusing one was the over flow from the toilet cistern, pipe
entered the wall but didn't exit it on the other side.

--
Bill

Grimly Curmudgeon wrote:
It was somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the
drugs began to take hold. I remember Lurch
saying something like:

On Tue, 22 Feb 2005 23:32:00 +0000, Grimly Curmudgeon
strung together this:

Here we go:
http://electrical-contractor.net/ubb...ML/000323.html

full of pics of pro disasters.

Holy ****!

You can spend days there, I have!

I think some of the perpetrators should be spending time somewhere

else.
--

Dave

Its a weird situation with that site. Joe T is trying to get these
practices acted on, or in some cases just made illegal, but no-one is
interested in his lead for one simple reason: accidents just arent
happening with abandoned installs. Although they look real dangerous,
no disasters means no resources spent on sorting it out. And he doesnt
seem to get that.

NT

Gary Cavie

In article ,
says...
[...]

My parents' next door neighbour, an elderly ledy in her 80s, had an
electric shower (8.5kW) installed by an NICEIC-registered contractor. He
spured out of the socket on the landing, up in a piece of MT1 trunking
inside the bathroom, via a 45A pull-cord, into the shower. All done in
1.0mm 3c+e. The problem came to light when the RCD wouldn't stay in,
possibly due to the congealed mess the cable was in. Took all of 1 hour
to run the correct cable back to the board, and do the missed bonding. I
suggested that she report it top NIC, but she preferred to get her sons
to deal with the gentleman concerned!
Bob Eager

On Thu, 24 Feb 2005 22:55:14 UTC, Gary Cavie
wrote:

My parents' next door neighbour, an elderly ledy in her 80s, had an
electric shower (8.5kW) installed by an NICEIC-registered contractor. He
spured out of the socket on the landing, up in a piece of MT1 trunking
inside the bathroom, via a 45A pull-cord, into the shower. All done in
1.0mm 3c+e. The problem came to light when the RCD wouldn't stay in,
possibly due to the congealed mess the cable was in. Took all of 1 hour
to run the correct cable back to the board, and do the missed bonding. I
suggested that she report it top NIC, but she preferred to get her sons
to deal with the gentleman concerned!

My mother-in-law's neighbour (a few years ago) would have asked her twin
sons to deal with him. Yes, a Mrs Kray...

--
Bob Eager
begin a new life...dump Windows!

wrote:

[...]

Sheet. Yet again, its the pros that need watching as often as not.

NT

Bill wrote:

I'll second that. My present house had been seriously DIY'd by the
previous owner and that included a 7kW shower. Fed with 2.5T&E from

the
CU and with a fused spur just out side the shower room. The 13A fuse
blew after 3 or 4 showers, I imagine it didn't blow immediately

because
the volts drop in the cable was such that the current wasn't much

above
13A anyway. After replacing the cable the shower was a heck of a lot
hotter.

13A fuses will hapily supply a great deal more thn 13A, just not for
very long. 7kW= 29A, so I'm not surprised it worked for a bit. Wire
fuses are generally rated so they will supply the rated load forever,
in a heatwave summer.

The rest of the wiring, plumbing etc. wasn't much better either. When

took a close look at a stud wall it was over the carpet of the room

it
was dividing, he hadn't even bothered to lift it before constructing

the
wall.

nowt wrong wi that lad.

The most amusing one was the over flow from the toilet cistern, pipe
entered the wall but didn't exit it on the other side.

Lol.
Really cisterns should use overflows that go down the pan, seems more
sensible. I guess folk wouldnt be so rushed to fix problems though.

NT