truman

Default Plastering poser

We have 2 artexed (light pattern) ceilings which we want refurbed. They are
quite sound. We've had 2 plasterers round to give estimates, one recommends
just skimming over the artex, the other recommends putting up plasterboard
on the existing ceiling then skimming. Speaking generally, which method
would be best? (strangely, the estimates are not far apart).
--
cheers
truman

Christian McArdle

Speaking generally, which method would be best?
(strangely, the estimates are not far apart).

How much to get the plasterboard one to just skim the Artex?

Christian.

Dave Baker

Subject: Plastering poser
From: "Christian McArdle"
Date: 04/06/04 11:19 GMT Daylight Time

Speaking generally, which method would be best?
(strangely, the estimates are not far apart).

How much to get the plasterboard one to just skim the Artex?

Lol - I like your train of thought. Good logic

Dave Baker - Puma Race Engines (
www.pumaracing.co.uk)
Next time someone insults you remember it takes 12 muscles to smile politely
and try to pass it off but only 4 to reach out your arm and slap the ****.
N. Thornton

From: "Christian McArdle"

Date: 04/06/04 11:19 GMT Daylight Time

Speaking generally, which method would be best?
(strangely, the estimates are not far apart).

How much to get the plasterboard one to just skim the Artex?

Lol - I like your train of thought. Good logic

Dave Baker - Puma Race Engines (
www.pumaracing.co.uk)
Next time someone insults you remember it takes 12 muscles to smile politely
and try to pass it off but only 4 to reach out your arm and slap the ****.

Indeed, I see no reason to put up PB if its sound. Note that running
over the artex quickly with a trowel nkocks the dits off and makes for
far less plaster use.

Regards, NT
Jeremy Smith

I've just had this done - they put PVA on the ceiling and went over it with
plaster when it was tacky. No plasterboard in sight and it's still (2 weeks
later) up there.

Naturally the plaster's adhesion also depends on the layers of paint which
sit between the PVA and the Artex itself, but they weren't flaking so I'm
confident I won't be woken up by tumbling ceilings.

Jeremy

"truman" wrote in message
We have 2 artexed (light pattern) ceilings which we want refurbed. They

are
quite sound. We've had 2 plasterers round to give estimates, one

recommends
just skimming over the artex, the other recommends putting up plasterboard
on the existing ceiling then skimming. Speaking generally, which method
would be best? (strangely, the estimates are not far apart).
--
cheers
truman

---

Stefek Zaba

We have 2 artexed (light pattern) ceilings which we want refurbed. They
are quite sound. We've had 2 plasterers round to give estimates, one
recommends just skimming over the artex, the other recommends putting up
plasterboard on the existing ceiling then skimming. Speaking generally,
which method would be best? (strangely, the estimates are not far apart).

We've had several ceilings done by the scrape-n-skim method. One
advantage is that the height changes minimally this way - it's not the
headroom that matters, but that the existing corners (e.g. cornices)
still look sensible - with the light pattern artexing you have and which
we had (still have in some rooms, but they'll all be gone one day!) the
extra thickness is maybe 3mm below the previous "natural base". The
scraping knocks off the high spots before the PVA-n-skim, which usefuly
reduces the volume of plaster to be applied, and stops your plasterer
swearing as some sharp high spot of Artex scratches their precious float
and naffs up the finish ;-)

By contrast, the PB will intrude some more into the existing corners
(9mm board would do for the ceiling), and be heavier (not that your
ceiling joists are likely to be that weak...)

HTH - Stefek

lime plastering - expected costs vs gypsum Stephen Fasham UK diy 42 May 22nd 04 03:59 PM
A few plastering questions Colin E. UK diy 2 March 15th 04 09:35 AM
Old plastering and fireplaces Richard Owen UK diy 1 October 30th 03 12:42 PM
plastering JOE UK diy 2 September 19th 03 12:25 PM