Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Pecanfan

Default Dangerous product alert: Screwfix junction boxes

I've tried telling Screwfix about this, but they don't seem interested. In
fact the general 'shoddy goods' level from Screwfix seems particularly high
at the moment - not sure if it's just me?!

Anyway - 'Standard Junction Boxes' - I've tried the 20A and 30A jobs (13013
and 12802) and how these meet any relevant BS is beyond me. I've also tried
replacements, on the off chance it was a dodgy batch, but same problem -
clearly a fundamental design fault. I know you get what you pay for, but
these are plain dangerous - don't buy them!

Basically the grub screws cannot be properly tightened since the surrounding
brass socket gives way under any reasonable pressure. As can be seen by the
picture below, this causes the screws to jump out their threads, creating a
hot joint. Sometimes the thread will give way AFTER installation - so even
if it seems fine initially, it can fail later down the line:-

http://www.pciq.co.uk/pics/junctsfx.jpg

Comparing the Screwfix version to the Wickes version (both 30A) there's a
considerable difference between the two (Wickes on the right).

http://www.pciq.co.uk/pics/junctcomp.jpg

Andy

20A Junction boxes take only 3 cables? Aldrich UK diy 6 December 30th 04 11:57 PM
Lighting circuit junction boxes MG UK diy 15 December 17th 04 06:21 PM
Junction boxes, cables and 250mm Rockwool Lobster UK diy 2 June 26th 04 09:38 PM
Screwfix PoP UK diy 28 March 12th 04 09:19 PM
Junction boxes Christian McArdle UK diy 3 August 30th 03 01:25 PM