Jerry G.

As long as the maximum current load does not exceed the current rating of
any of the cables that are used in the extension, it will be safe. There
should not be very much loss over a few hundred feet of extension. If there
is a loss, you can then change the extensions for ones that are of a larger
gauge.

I have run extensions of up to 400 feet. These were 10 Amp rated. I had no
performance loss in the loads that I was using. The load was about 4 to 5
amps. I am working with 120 VAC at my location. I took a voltage reading, at
the outlet, and one across the load. There was a drop of about one or two
volts. But, the total voltage at the extension output was still in specs
while under the load. The source voltage at the outlet was about 118 VAC.
Across the load, if I remember correctly, it was about approximately 116
VAC.

In areas that are using 220 VAC, the current is about 1/2 for the same
wattage, as when compared to 120 VAC. This would lead to less loss when
using an extension cord.

Most devices here in North America are rated at 105 to 125 VAC. Some are
rated from about 105 to 135 VAC.

--

Jerry G.
======

"Ian Stirling" wrote in message
In uk.d-i-y Sammo wrote:
I am in the UK (so mains voltage is about 230V or 240V).

I have a reel of main extension cable made of 3-core 1.0 mm^2 wire
rated at 10 Amps. So the nominal power rating would be about 2,400
Watts. (Link to tech reference for the cable is below.)

It's always going to be safe, as it's got a fuse.

Ok...
Copper has a resistivity of 0.7*10^-8 ohms/meter.

Or, for a 1mm^2 wire, 0.7*10^-2 ohms/meter.
Or for 2 wires, 1.4*10^-2 ohms.
Or for 60m, 8.4*10^-1 ohms, or .84 ohms.
At 10A, 8.4V, or heating by 84W.
If at the plug end is 240V, at the socket end will be 232V, which is
(232^2/240^2)= .93444444444444444444

So, you lose 7% of the power for a heater, for example.

Tim \(Remove NOSPAM.

"Watson A.Name - "Watt Sun, the Dark Remover"" wrote
in message ...

"Mike" wrote in message

"Watson A.Name - "Watt Sun, the Dark Remover""

wrote
in message ...
And then when they get tired of doing that, they go out and buy a

weed
wacker with the gas engine.

One question to somebody presumably residing in the western colonies.

What's a "weed wacker"?

Where are you from? Ever heard of Google?

This URL shows a pic of the business end of a weed wacker.
Traditionally they use monofilament. There are both electric and gas
engine types, but the noisy gasoline engines (and leaf blowers) are
sometimes banned from some communities.

Hell, if you have any more grass than that the size of a postage stamp here
in the UK, we buy a petrol driven "weed wacker", the electric ones, even at
230v are worse than useless!

Tim..

Dave Plowman (News)

In article ,
Peter A Forbes wrote:
Why use anything as small as 1mm sq cable???

For 30metres I'd want to see 2.5mm sq at least, if not 4mm sq.

If not for the volt drop or lack of, for the mechanical strength and
resistance to damage.

Dunno where you'd get 4mm flex, but you'd never get it to fit a 13 amp
plug. 2.5mm is the limit, and not all plugs will have a cord grip suitable.

--
*If a thing is worth doing, wouldn't it have been done already?

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Watson A.Name - "Watt Sun, the Dark Remover" wrote:
wrote in message
oups.com...

I'm in the U.S. and this gives me a flashback on what I was

thinking
about trying a few months ago. We have a PBX at work that's on 48V
batteries, but the batteries are 9 yrs old and need replacing.

They
cost a bundle

the first logical thought is repair them rather than replace. Lead
acids are often repairable.

Quick repair, doesnt always work:
rinse muck out of cells
fill with new acid
charge, monitor acid conc and adjust as required

This wont fix all cells by any means, but many it will. Those it

wont
in some cases may only need replacement plates and acid, which can

be
made much cheaper than buying new batts.

No. These cells are 4V each, 12 in all, each is sealed.

If youre going to deal with this you'll need a few clues. You will have
2v cells in pairs, 4v lead acid cells dont exist.

Well, except
for the one cell that's split open because of internal pressure. :-(

They must be replaced, not repaired. This is a phone system, where

it
has to be online during emergencies. Batteries that are working

fine,
but over 5 years old are considered unacceptable and must be

replaced.

thats fine if youve got the money, but since they've been there 9
years, and are found dead but still in service, I was guessing you
havent.

Is it April yet?

Also they can often be run happily at 24v, if not in all cases. If
yours could, it may be that your present cells would do that as is.

This is *not* how you run a battery backup system! The idea is to

start
out with fully charged batteries, so that when the power fails for a
long period, the voltage of the batteries may drop to 40V or less as

the
cells discharge, keeping the PBX online. If you start at anything

less,
even 36V, you're not going to have any discharge time before the PBX
system crashes. It would be essentially worthless.

You misunderstood completely, hopelessly, and idiotically. 48v is a
very old standard, and many 48v telecomms systems are now run on 24v.
If your equipment were 24v compatible, as some is, you would only need
half the number of cells.

And if you had no money to replace the battery, odds are you'll have at
least 50% of cells still serviceable.

Even if its not 24v compatible, you would get better backup performance
by removing any dead cells from the chain. Whether you remove them or
not you'll run below voltage.

What capacity at 48v is it on?

The rectifier can put out a hundred amps at 54VDC, to charge the
batteries while the PBX is also running. That must be 6 or so kW

input.
So I would guess that it's 208V at 30A breakers. But with no

batteries,
the load would be more like 3.6kW.

3=2E6kW @ 50v =3D 72A, so if we take an ultra-vague guess at C/10 charging,
that gives us 700ah capacity @48v. Ouch.

I thought it would be possible to run a power cable
underground to the big UPS we have in our computer room. Problem

is
that the PBX's rectifier takes 30A max at 120VAC, or about 3.6kW.

i've no ida how that fits into this

The UPS in the computer room is 150kW, easily capable of handling
another 6 or so kW.

And
the distance between is about 1300 feet or about 400m.

I would guess that the UPS output should go into a transformer and

come
out 480VAC, so the cable losses would be minimized. Then another

transf
on the PBX end to bring it back to 120VAC. But should I expect to

have
a max loss of 5% at max current, or what?

well how much current are you shifting??
And why cant you power your pbx from whatever power source it uses

now?
You havent given us nearly enough information.

The batteries and rectifier are a "UPS" to protect the PBX against
failure of the commercial power. That's what it's being fed from.

Why dont you find someone else to discuss this with.

I think I came up with 4GA
cable, but at 480VAC, I'm guessing that it would have to be special
insulated underground cable.

standard uk T&E should do that, but shuold be insulation tested to

the
required v first. Costs around =A312 a 100m reel, depending on

copper
size.

Assuming that it could be pulled 1300 feet. Probably not without
damage.

You thread it section by section. Regular access points also allow a
section can be replaced if it fails. The T&E also includes a spare
conductor for backup.

Heavily insulated cable would be needed. Probably double
jacketed.

T&E is double insulated, high v rated and cheap - thats why i suggested
it.

Someday I'll have to ask one of the electricians that work on our

HV
stuff. We have 4160VAC underground around campus but that's all
specialized switchgear, etc.

rf transmission co-ax is rated pretty high... and its concentric.

RF transmission coax is typically copper clad steel wire center
conductor, which would have much greater I^2R loss than pure copper
cable at 50 or 60Hz. That would be unacceptable.

obviously it depends what v and i youre running it at, its very much
higher v rated than T&E.

T&E's probably far more practical.

Thanks, but I've never heard of T&E here in the U.S. I don't know

what
that acronym stands for.

twin and earth, its our standard house wiring cable, 2 cores double
insulated plus one single, comes in various copper sizes, is very cheap
and can be bought at thousands of outlets... here, anyway. I dont know
what export would cost.

You would need to get some basic concepts sorted out before youre in a
position to imlpement anything.

NT

Watson A.Name - \Watt Sun, the Dark Remover\

oups.com...
wrote in message
[...]

I think I'm talking to a tree here. **PLONK**

3.6kW @ 50v = 72A, so if we take an ultra-vague guess at C/10 charging,
[...]

required v first. Costs around £12 a 100m reel, depending on

[...]

John Rumm

Jerry G. wrote:

As long as the maximum current load does not exceed the current rating of
any of the cables that are used in the extension, it will be safe. There
should not be very much loss over a few hundred feet of extension. If there
is a loss, you can then change the extensions for ones that are of a larger
gauge.

The other issue to beware of is as the length of wire increases, so does
it fault loop resistance (i.e. path from line to earth / ground). This
will reduce the maximum current that can be passed to earth in the event
of a fault, and hence extend the time between the fault occuring and the
circuit protective device (fuse, circuit breaker etc) opening to
disconnet the power. Obviously if *you* are forming part of this earth
fault loop, the sooner the power goes off the better!

Out of interest, are US style plugs fitted with fuses?

(An extension lead running outside ought to have RCD protection anyway
of course, to negate the problem)

--
Cheers,

John.

John Rumm

Paul Miller wrote:

The big problem is going to be earth loop impedance, I know it sounds
trivial
because it will work fine, but you did quote a PSC figure of 120A......must
be
a TT instalation. Please make sure you have a RCD on this circuit..

If you do the sums for 1mm sq cable that is the PSC you get *without*
including the supply impedance - it only gets worse in reality.

(not sure what significance the supply being TT would have on PSC mind you)

--
Cheers,

John.

Andy Wade

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

Dunno where you'd get 4mm flex,

RS for one, see stock no. 250-1410.

but you'd never get it to fit a 13 amp plug. 2.5mm is the limit, and
not all plugs will have a cord grip suitable.

Actually 1.25 mm^2 is the limit - in the sense that it's the largest
size that BS 1363 requires a plug to accept. Nevertheless _most_ plugs
will accept 1.5 mm^2 without too much difficulty and _some_ will accept
2.5 mm^2.

--
Andy
Dave Plowman (News)

In article ,
Andy Wade wrote:
Dunno where you'd get 4mm flex,

RS for one, see stock no. 250-1410.

but you'd never get it to fit a 13 amp plug. 2.5mm is the limit, and
not all plugs will have a cord grip suitable.

Actually 1.25 mm^2 is the limit - in the sense that it's the largest
size that BS 1363 requires a plug to accept. Nevertheless _most_ plugs
will accept 1.5 mm^2 without too much difficulty and _some_ will accept
2.5 mm^2.

Right. Didn't know chapter and verse.

Our location sparks use 2.5mm TRS for most uses - and as many things may
have to plug into a house supply at some point, use 13 amp adaptor leads
to feed theirs. Think the 13 amp plugs they use are Duraplugs

--
*A chicken crossing the road is poultry in motion.*

"John Rumm" wrote in message
Jerry G. wrote:

[...]

I just got thru working with some equipment that we inherited that had
the fuse in the plug. In this case, the luser that had replaced the
fuse used 32V auto fuses instead of the proper 125V or 250V rating. I'm
glad I caught that problem. But fuses in plugs are rare, usually the
only thing between the breaker panel and the equipment is the 15A
breaker built into the power strip.

--
Cheers,

John.

"Andy Wade" wrote in message
Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

Dunno where you'd get 4mm flex,

RS for one, see stock no. 250-1410.

but you'd never get it to fit a 13 amp plug. 2.5mm is the limit, and
not all plugs will have a cord grip suitable.

Actually 1.25 mm^2 is the limit - in the sense that it's the largest
size that BS 1363 requires a plug to accept. Nevertheless _most_

plugs
will accept 1.5 mm^2 without too much difficulty and _some_ will

accept
2.5 mm^2.

I don't know about the UK, but in the U.S. most decent plugs come with
three large headed screws that have a square washer under them, with one
edge of the washer hanging over the edge of the brass pin, so it retains
the copper wire. So if you can unscrew the screw 3/16" (5mm) and get
the copper strands in there and screw it down, then it would hold almost
that big a conductor. Of course getting it all thru the hole in the
cord grip is another matter..

--
Andy

**PLONK**

good, itll save me the temptation to reply in future

Bob Eager

On Sun, 13 Feb 2005 17:49:42 UTC, "Watson A.Name - \"Watt Sun, the Dark
Remover\"" wrote:

I don't know about the UK, but in the U.S. most decent plugs come with
three large headed screws that have a square washer under them, with one
edge of the washer hanging over the edge of the brass pin, so it retains
the copper wire. So if you can unscrew the screw 3/16" (5mm) and get
the copper strands in there and screw it down, then it would hold almost
that big a conductor. Of course getting it all thru the hole in the
cord grip is another matter..

Some earlier plugs were like that. These days, there is a hole in the
end of the pin, and a grubscrew into a threaded hole at right angles
that clamps the wire. Remember the wire is thinner over here.

And of course, nearly all of our plugs have fuses in them. A 15A breaker
is not too good at protecting a 5A flexible cable to an appliance.

--
Bob Eager
begin a new life...dump Windows!
raden

In message , "Watson A.Name - \"Watt
Sun, the Dark Remover\"" writes

"raden" wrote in message
In message , "Watson A.Name -

\"Watt
Sun, the Dark Remover\"" writes

T&E's probably far more practical.

Thanks, but I've never heard of T&E here in the U.S. I don't know

what
that acronym stands for.

Twin and earth

... colonials !

Yeah, we call it ground here stateside. And it's Romex.

And it's AC line in every schematic I've seen from the American mfgrs
the likes of HP, Tek, etc., not "mains". Mains are those wires up on
top of the power pole.

Separated by a common language, as they say

--
geoff
Stefek Zaba

John Rumm wrote:

(not sure what significance the supply being TT would have on PSC mind you)

A terminogical inexactitude, to a degree. The earthing derangements will
make naff-all difference to the PSC for an L-N fault, but will clearly
affect the current which'll flow for an L-to-E (or, since the
distinction is crucial here, actually an L-to-protective-conductor)
fault. It's precisely becuase the impedance of a local earth rod can't
be expected to be low enough to get a hefty enough fault current to flow
that UK regs [note trimming of followups :-] require a 100mA RCD on all
TT installs.

As you know anyway ;-)

Andrew Chesters

Spehro Pefhany wrote:
SNIP

Is that what you'd call a "Strimmer"?

Best regards,
Spehro Pefhany

Yep!
Andrew Chesters

John Rumm wrote:

SNIP

Out of interest, are US style plugs fitted with fuses?

(An extension lead running outside ought to have RCD protection anyway
of course, to negate the problem)

_FUSE?_ 1/2 of their plugs don't even have an earth!!
Stefek Zaba

Andrew Chesters wrote:

_FUSE?_ 1/2 of their plugs don't even have an earth!!

Aye - and their stores [sic] will happily sell you an adaptor to let you
plug those weird-ass 3pin plugs with that pinko-liberal ground pin into
an honest red-blooded real man's 2-pin outlet...
Watson A.Name - \Watt Sun, the Dark Remover\

"Andrew Chesters" wrote in
message ...
John Rumm wrote:

SNIP

Out of interest, are US style plugs fitted with fuses?

(An extension lead running outside ought to have RCD protection

anyway
of course, to negate the problem)

_FUSE?_ 1/2 of their plugs don't even have an earth!!

Yeah, but everything's gone cordless nowadays, even the weed wackers.
So who cares? ;-)

I think the appliances that have a plug with only two prongs have to be
double insulated, and meet stringent leakage specs.

I got one for you. I checked the fuse panel of a really old bldg (well
for the U.S., anyway..) - almost 100 yrs - and it had the ground
fused(!) Now _that's_weird.

Peter A Forbes

On Sun, 13 Feb 2005 12:22:02 -0800, "Watson A.Name - \"Watt Sun, the Dark
Remover\"" wrote:

I got one for you. I checked the fuse panel of a really old bldg (well
for the U.S., anyway..) - almost 100 yrs - and it had the ground
fused(!) Now _that's_weird.

Was it 3-wire DC originally??

Peter

--
Peter & Rita Forbes
Email:

VWWall

Andrew Chesters wrote:
John Rumm wrote:

SNIP

Out of interest, are US style plugs fitted with fuses?

(An extension lead running outside ought to have RCD protection anyway
of course, to negate the problem)

_FUSE?_ 1/2 of their plugs don't even have an earth!!

The standard 120V receptical has the two parallel blades polarized. The
"neutral" blade is wider than the "hot one", so even a proper two-blade
plug gives some protection to exposed components, like the shell on
thraded lamps. However there are still many table lamps with equal size
blades which can be inserted either way. Many small appliances and
tools are "double insulated", and these do not require a ground,
(earth), wire plug.

Years ago, as a broacast radio engineer, I had to set up remote
locations. If the "hum level" was too high the standard proceedure was
to reverse the plug on the amplifer. Almost all the new equpment has
three-prong grounded plugs.

--
Virg Wall, P.E.
Andrew Chesters

VWWall wrote:
Andrew Chesters wrote:

John Rumm wrote:

SNIP

[...]

I have to concede that my knowlege of colonial wiring pracice is
somewhat out of date. My family was part of the UK "Brain Drain", a
period of history where engineers (my father, not me) from here got _1st
class_ berths on liners taking them to the new world!
Graham W

John Rumm wrote:
Jerry G. wrote:

As long as the maximum current load does not exceed the current
rating of any of the cables that are used in the extension, it will
be safe. There should not be very much loss over a few hundred feet
of extension. If there is a loss, you can then change the extensions
for ones that are of a larger gauge.

The other issue to beware of is as the length of wire increases, so
does
it fault loop resistance (i.e. path from line to earth / ground). This
will reduce the maximum current that can be passed to earth in the
event
of a fault, and hence extend the time between the fault occuring and
the circuit protective device (fuse, circuit breaker etc) opening to
disconnet the power. Obviously if *you* are forming part of this earth
fault loop, the sooner the power goes off the better!

I doubt that a *you* of any value would survive if it were to pass
the fusing current of the plug-top fuse!

John Rumm

Stefek Zaba wrote:

(not sure what significance the supply being TT would have on PSC mind
you)

A terminogical inexactitude, to a degree. The earthing derangements will
make naff-all difference to the PSC for an L-N fault, but will clearly
affect the current which'll flow for an L-to-E (or, since the
distinction is crucial here, actually an L-to-protective-conductor)

I guess I was kind of hinting (gently) that the term PSC implies a L-N
short, rather than L-E.

Hence the fact that it is TT (from an earthing arrangement point of
view) will make no difference, although to be fair the likelihood of a
TT setup being out "in the sticks" a long way from a substation is
greater, and hence _may_ have a higher supply impedance as well.

fault. It's precisely becuase the impedance of a local earth rod can't
be expected to be low enough to get a hefty enough fault current to flow
that UK regs [note trimming of followups :-] require a 100mA RCD on all
TT installs.

As you know anyway ;-)

;-) (yes painfully... having just spent a fortune on a big pile of CUs
and RCDs ready for the great CU replacement party....)

--
Cheers,

John.

John Rumm

Graham W wrote:

disconnet the power. Obviously if *you* are forming part of this earth
fault loop, the sooner the power goes off the better!

I doubt that a *you* of any value would survive if it were to pass
the fusing current of the plug-top fuse!

Depends on if you are in serise or parallel with it!

--
Cheers,

John.

Jerry G. wrote:

As long as the maximum current load does not exceed the current rating of
any of the cables that are used in the extension, it will be safe. There
should not be very much loss over a few hundred feet of extension. If there
is a loss, you can then change the extensions for ones that are of a larger
gauge.

I have run extensions of up to 400 feet. These were 10 Amp rated. I had no
performance loss in the loads that I was using. The load was about 4 to 5
amps. I am working with 120 VAC at my location. I took a voltage reading, at
the outlet, and one across the load. There was a drop of about one or two
volts.

A ~ 2 volt drop at 4 amps means ~ 1/2 ohms. You had 800 feet of wire - 400
out and 400 back. That means your extension cord wire had to be rated at
(1000/800) * 1/2 = .625 ohms per 1000 feet. Your extension cords had to
be made from #6 or #8, given those numbers. That is highly unlikely.

A typical heavy duty extension cord 100 feet long would most likely use
#14 wire. #14 wire is rated at 3.1 ohms per 1000 feet. At 800 feet, if
the 4 amp load was running, there would be a drop of about 9.9 volts.
If #12 wire (rated at 2 ohms per 1000 feet) were used in the cords,
the drop would be about 6.4 volts. The ohms per 1000 feet numbers
come from table 9 in the National Electrical Code.

There has to be an error in this, somewhere.

Ed

But, the total voltage at the extension output was still in specs
while under the load. The source voltage at the outlet was about 118 VAC.
Across the load, if I remember correctly, it was about approximately 116
VAC.

In areas that are using 220 VAC, the current is about 1/2 for the same
wattage, as when compared to 120 VAC. This would lead to less loss when
using an extension cord.

Most devices here in North America are rated at 105 to 125 VAC. Some are
rated from about 105 to 135 VAC.

Sammo

On 13 Feb 2005, John Rumm wrote:

The other issue to beware of is as the length of wire increases,
so does it fault loop resistance (i.e. path from line to earth /
ground). This will reduce the maximum current that can be passed
to earth in the event of a fault, and hence extend the time
between the fault occuring and the circuit protective device
(fuse, circuit breaker etc) opening to disconnet the power.
Obviously if *you* are forming part of this earth fault loop,
the sooner the power goes off the better!

Out of interest, are US style plugs fitted with fuses?

(An extension lead running outside ought to have RCD protection
anyway of course, to negate the problem)

I am the original poster with two 30m extension cables. You refer to
RCD protection.

I have got a plug-in RCD device but I know nothing about earth fault
loops. It is similar to the one in this illustration.
http://www.argos.co.uk/wcsstore/argo...IFN104773M.JPG

Where should my RCD device be plugged in to best avoid the problem of
earth fault loops:

(1) At the mains supply end where the first extension goes into the
mains socket.
(2) In the middle of the two 30m extensions.
(3) At the far end of the two extensions where the appliciance I am
using is plugged in?
Ian Stirling

In uk.d-i-y Sammo wrote:
On 12 Feb 2005, Andrew Chesters wrote:

Others have discussed the current & voltage side of your post.
However, something else to concider is where you are doing this.
At 30-60m my guess is that you would be outdoors? If so, you
should be using an earth leakage circuit breaker (RCD)to supply
your extensions. This could be installed in your CU, built in
to the supply socket or a plugtop type.

CU?

Consumer Unit.
The box where the electricity comes into the house, which contains
RCD/breakers/fuses for the individual circuits.
Andrew Chesters

Sammo wrote:
On 12 Feb 2005, Andrew Chesters wrote:

Others have discussed the current & voltage side of your post.
However, something else to concider is where you are doing this.
At 30-60m my guess is that you would be outdoors? If so, you
should be using an earth leakage circuit breaker (RCD)to supply
your extensions. This could be installed in your CU, built in
to the supply socket or a plugtop type.

CU?

= Consumer unit. The RCD should protect the whole of the "outdoor" section.

Earth Loop Fault Current = the current that would flow in the event of a
live to earth fault. This current is calculated from the earth loop
impedance (measured or calculated) including suppliers cable. This
value is then compared with standard graphs for various protective
devices (fuse, circuit breakers) to ascertain the disconnect time. If
this does not meet the requirements, additional methods of protection
are required. This could be changing to a faster breaker, and/or adding
earth leakage protection.
John Rumm

Darcy B wrote:

What is earth fault loop impedance?

It is the sum total of the resistances af all the wiring in the path to
earth or ground. It is significant because should a major fault occur
(like a wire falls inside an appliance and shorts to the casework, or
you cut through an extension lead), the earth fault loop impedance will
place a limit on the maximum current that can flow to earth.

Ideally this fault current wants to be large, so that it causes the
protective device (fuse / breaker) to open quickly. We have regulations
in the UK that require a circuit with socket outlets to disconnect in
under 0.4 secs in these situations.

The fault loop impedance is also dictated by the impedance of the earth
provided at the supply where it comes into the house. In the UK there
are three common ways the power company can provide the supply - with
two of them (known as TN-C and TN-C-S (aka PME)) the supplier provides a
good earth (i.e. typically well under 1 ohm) which when used with
suitable fusing and circuit breakers should result in good disconnection
times in most cases. However if you add long circuits with undersized
earth conductors (i.e. big extension lead for example!), then the
impedance creeps up and lowers the fault current that could lead to much
greater electrocution risk. The third type of supply common over here
does not supply an earth at all (this is typical for power fed via
overhead wires - typically into rural locations), and relies on a local
earth rod that is staked into the ground. These tend to give much higher
resistance earths and hence you can no longer rely on them to allow
enough fault current to flow, so the whole installation must be
protected by additional Residual Current Device circuit breakers (RCDs)
to detect any leakage from the circuit and cut off the power that way.
(RCDs are also mandatory here for all socket circuits that may
potentialy feed portable equipment that could be used outside).

There is some more info he

http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Book/5.1.1.htm

--
Cheers,

John.

John Rumm

Sammo wrote:

I am the original poster with two 30m extension cables. You refer to
RCD protection.

I have got a plug-in RCD device but I know nothing about earth fault
loops. It is similar to the one in this illustration.
http://www.argos.co.uk/wcsstore/argo...IFN104773M.JPG

See my reply elsewhere in this thread for a fuller description of earth
fault loop impedance. Also see here for more background:

http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Book/5.1.1.htm

Where should my RCD device be plugged in to best avoid the problem of
earth fault loops:

(1) At the mains supply end where the first extension goes into the
mains socket.

Yes

(2) In the middle of the two 30m extensions.

No - but better than 3

(3) At the far end of the two extensions where the appliciance I am
using is plugged in?

no - but better than not at all!

Having the RCD at the start of the cable will mean the whole cable is
protected by it. So should you accidentally do the "hedge trimmer
through the extension lead" exercise, the RCD hopefully will cut off
power to the lead, rather than leaving live exposed conductors flopping
about in the wet grass under your ladder!

--
Cheers,

John.

Dimitrios Tzortzakakis

cable is not that expensive, it's copper after all.I can see in an invoice
that I paid 28 cents a meter for a 3G1.5 mm^2 A05VV-U cable.A 2.5 mm^2
conductor, single core, which we generally use to connect washing machines,
costs 9 cents a meter .Or 6 mm^2, for ranges, 22 cents a meter.Why don't you
ask an electrician to construct you an extra heavy duty extension cable,
with industrial-grade plugs?I did in college, when doing my Practicum, for a
high-temperature oven, three-phase, 25A, which plug tended to overheat.Cost
was negligent.

--
Tzortzakakis Dimitri?s
dimtzort AT otenet DOT gr
Remover\"" wrote:

"Bob Eager" wrote in message
On Sat, 12 Feb 2005 12:46:19 UTC, Ian Stirling

wrote:

Or for 60m, 8.4*10^-1 ohms, or .84 ohms.

Plus the resistance on the two connections. Not sure whether the earth
fault loop impedance is still OK...

Yeah, true. You 220VAC and 240VAC guys think you got it bad, we have
four times as much of a problem here in 120VAC land. ;-)

Those poor souls that put a hundred feet or so of 18GA (about 1mm sq)
extension cord on their weed wackers soon find that not only does it run
slow, but the motor overheats. So we have extension cords that are 16
or 14 gauge, and can handle the extra current. But people are too cheap
to pay double for the heavy duty extension cord, so they end up eating
their money up in burned out motors.

And then when they get tired of doing that, they go out and buy a weed
wacker with the gas engine. This is on the end of a long pole, so the
engine is right up next to their face, so they go deaf from all the
engine noise. And they put the weed wacker in the garage, where the gas
from the tank runs out and catches on fire!

--
Bob Eager

Why use anything as small as 1mm sq cable???

For 30metres I'd want to see 2.5mm sq at least, if not 4mm sq.

If not for the volt drop or lack of, for the mechanical strength and

resistance
to damage.

Peter

--
Peter & Rita Forbes
Email:
Web:
http://www.oldengine.org/members/diesel

The Natural Philosopher

Sammo wrote:

Jerry G. wrote:

[...]

You can draw the same current through any length of wire, asd long as it
isn't coiled up, because the heat per unit length does not vary with the
length, and that is what causes temp rise.

Which is why cable is rated in amps, not watts. Nor yet amp-meters.

The v drop on even quite extended lengths of extsnion cable is not
likely to be an issue.

Owain

"John Rumm" wrote
| Depends on if you are in serise or parallel with it!

I *still* get confused with blue being live because it's a 'brighter' colour
than brown in cables; WTF did cerise come into it? Will Channel 5 be giving
us Colin & Justin's How Not To Write Wiring Regulations in the near
future...

Owain

(This posting may contain UK-specific cultural references.)

Owain

"Sammo" wrote
| However, if the cable has resistence then presumably current capacity
| (ignoring voltage) gets reduced. I am thinking of W = I^2 * R.

No, because that resistance - and hence the heating effect - is spread along
the length of the cable. If 1m of cable is rated for 10A then 100m of cable
will also be rated for 10A. You will probably need a thicker cable to reduce
the voltage drop, but that is not the same as the current-carrying capacity
of the cable.

| I have got a plug-in RCD device but I know nothing about earth fault
| loops. It is similar to the one in this illustration.
| http://www.argos.co.uk/wcsstore/argo...IFN104773M.JPG
| Where should my RCD device be plugged in to best avoid the problem of
| earth fault loops:
| (1) At the mains supply end where the first extension goes into the
| mains socket.

Here, because the RCD protection must be applied to the whole extension
flex, because it is in effect a portable appliance.

| (2) In the middle of the two 30m extensions.

No, because that would leave the first flex (or more specifically - someone
handling it) unprotected.

| (3) At the far end of the two extensions where the appliciance I am
| using is plugged in?

No, same reason.

If you were wiring a *permanent circuit* then RCD protection could usually
be applied at the load end, because fixed wiring does not need such a high
standard of protection.

Note, however, that using an RCD plug on only one extension lead raises the
possibility that someone might plug the extension leads togther the wrong
way round, with the result that the first flex would be unprotected. The way
round this is to have an RCD plug on both leads -- this will do no harm, but
either or both may trip in the event of a fault -- or use an RCD socket.

The point remains -- why are you contemplating using 60m extension cables?

Owain

"Dimitrios Tzortzakakis" wrote in message
cable is not that expensive, it's copper after all.I can see in an

invoice
that I paid 28 cents a meter for a 3G1.5 mm^2 A05VV-U cable.A 2.5 mm^2
conductor, single core, which we generally use to connect washing

machines,
costs 9 cents a meter .Or 6 mm^2, for ranges, 22 cents a meter.Why

don't you
ask an electrician to construct you an extra heavy duty extension

cable,
with industrial-grade plugs?I did in college, when doing my Practicum,

for a
high-temperature oven, three-phase, 25A, which plug tended to

overheat.Cost
was negligent.

Negligent! Hah-hah-hah-hah!

--
Tzortzakakis Dimitri?s

Sammo

On 14 Feb 2005, Owain wrote:

| (1) At the mains supply end where the first extension goes into
| the mains socket.

Here, because the RCD protection must be applied to the whole
extension flex, because it is in effect a portable appliance.

| (2) In the middle of the two 30m extensions.

No, because that would leave the first flex (or more
specifically - someone handling it) unprotected.

| (3) At the far end of the two extensions where the appliciance
| I am using is plugged in?

No, same reason.

If you were wiring a *permanent circuit* then RCD protection
could usually be applied at the load end, because fixed wiring
does not need such a high standard of protection.

Note, however, that using an RCD plug on only one extension lead
raises the possibility that someone might plug the extension
leads togther the wrong way round, with the result that the
first flex would be unprotected. The way round this is to have
an RCD plug on both leads -- this will do no harm, but either or
both may trip in the event of a fault -- or use an RCD socket.

The point remains -- why are you contemplating using 60m
extension cables?

I live in a flat and my car is kept in a garage in a block which is
in the yard. The garages do not have power and sometimes I might
need to use a power drill, electric light, soldering iron, charge a
run-down battery, etc.

This is the layout:

I'm on the third storey and my cable flex would be slung along the
building for about 30 metres and be supported once where it goes
out of my flat and supported again (at about the same height) where
it leaves the building 30m later.

The next 15 metres of cable would be a sort of descent to my garage
roof. The last 5 metres or so takes the power to where I want it.
(I am using 30m + 30m because those are the lengths on my
two extension reels).

In this scenario, I don't really need to protect the cable from
accidental cutting or damage anywhere along its length as it runs
along the building or in the air away from any likely harm.

For my *own* protection as a user of an applicance at the far end of
the cable it seems that it might be better to put an RCD close to
whatever appliance I am using. Is this correct?

OTOH maybe a domestic RCD is so sensitive that it is likely to work
perfectly well at the mains end even when I am chiefly looking to
protect me at the far end?
Palindr˜»me

Sammo wrote:
On 14 Feb 2005, Owain wrote:

| (1) At the mains supply end where the first extension goes into
| the mains socket.

Here, because the RCD protection must be applied to the whole
extension flex, because it is in effect a portable appliance.

| (2) In the middle of the two 30m extensions.

No, because that would leave the first flex (or more
specifically - someone handling it) unprotected.

| (3) At the far end of the two extensions where the appliciance
| I am using is plugged in?

No, same reason.

If you were wiring a *permanent circuit* then RCD protection
could usually be applied at the load end, because fixed wiring
does not need such a high standard of protection.

Note, however, that using an RCD plug on only one extension lead
raises the possibility that someone might plug the extension
leads togther the wrong way round, with the result that the
first flex would be unprotected. The way round this is to have
an RCD plug on both leads -- this will do no harm, but either or
both may trip in the event of a fault -- or use an RCD socket.

The point remains -- why are you contemplating using 60m
extension cables?

I live in a flat and my car is kept in a garage in a block which is
in the yard. The garages do not have power and sometimes I might
need to use a power drill, electric light, soldering iron, charge a
run-down battery, etc.

This is the layout:

I'm on the third storey and my cable flex would be slung along the
building for about 30 metres and be supported once where it goes
out of my flat and supported again (at about the same height) where
it leaves the building 30m later.

The next 15 metres of cable would be a sort of descent to my garage
roof. The last 5 metres or so takes the power to where I want it.
(I am using 30m + 30m because those are the lengths on my
two extension reels).

In this scenario, I don't really need to protect the cable from
accidental cutting or damage anywhere along its length as it runs
along the building or in the air away from any likely harm.

For my *own* protection as a user of an applicance at the far end of
the cable it seems that it might be better to put an RCD close to
whatever appliance I am using. Is this correct?

OTOH maybe a domestic RCD is so sensitive that it is likely to work
perfectly well at the mains end even when I am chiefly looking to
protect me at the far end?

Basically, the gizmo senses when the current being shoved up
the live wire is greater than what comes back down the
neutral wire. If it is greater, then the difference, instead
of coming back down the wire, is going somewhere else - like
through /you/. If it finds a difference it cuts off the
power, very quickly.

So its sensitivitity will be the same no matter where you
put it - as the same current should be going up the live and
back the neutral - where ever you measure it.

Putting it in the wall socket ensures that the insulation of
the whole length of leads as well as the load is being
monitored. which give the most protection. Plugging it in
after the leads means that the unit doesn't monitor for
faults in the leads themselves, only in the load.

The only thing you gain from plugging it in at the load
end is if you have a piece of hardware that is prone to
tripping rcds on switch-on. Having it near the load makes it
easier to reset the thing if it trips and saves the hike
back upstairs. But you would only plug it in there for that
sort of reason.

Always use the test button each time you set this up. They
are remarkably sensitive devices that have to sense a
difference of a few hundredth's of an ampere in a load of
many amperes. For the cost, as I think another op may have
said, why not fit two - one at each end? Particularly if you
are lying on fairly damp ground under a car, clutching a
mains lamp in your hand.. I have a main one protecting the
sockets for the whole house (excepting a ring main that only
feeds my fridges and freezers - where each socket has an
rcd), but still use an additional plug-in one when doing
anything that makes me nervous.

--

Sue

Owain

"Sammo" wrote
| The point remains -- why are you contemplating using 60m
| extension cables?
| I live in a flat and my car is kept in a garage in a block which is
| in the yard. The garages do not have power and sometimes I might
| need to use a power drill, electric light, soldering iron, charge a
| run-down battery, etc.

[f/u set to uk.d-i-y as getting off-topic for other groups and definately
on-topic for this group; subject line changed]

Ah-ha! "How do I get electricity to my garage" is the real question you
should have asked.

This has been discussed before -- google for threads about garages without
mains power. Suggestions usually include a battery (recharged in the house,
possibly on a trolley for portability) with an inverter, or a small
generator. Photovoltaic (solar) panels are sometimes viable for keeping a
car battery topped up.

Especially as you have a 'block' of garages, it might be financially viable
to have a new public supply laid on to the block, as the cost can be divided
between all the garages, if other owners agree. Power to a garage is useful,
especially if remote from the house, and the cost of the supply would
probably be recouped in sale value. That might not be the case for a new
supply for one garage. A proper fixed supply will also allow garages to be
fitted with mains-powered alarms, which might help persuade your neighbours
to agree with the scheme.

| This is the layout:
| I'm on the third storey and my cable flex would be slung along the
| building for about 30 metres and be supported once where it goes
| out of my flat and supported again (at about the same height) where
| it leaves the building 30m later.

PLEASE STOP RIGHT NOW.

What you are proposing is wholly unacceptable. Ordinary flex and cable is
not designed for being self-supporting over this distance. The flex will be
under considerable mechanical strain at the supports. Have you considered
what happens when 30m of cable comes loose and whips through the air?
Extension lead flex is also not designed for permanent exterior installation
and is not completely waterproof or resistant to abrasion and uv light.

What you are proposing doing is fixed wiring and should be done according to
the regs for a permanent installation -- designed, installed, and inspected
and tested in full compliance with the IEE Wiring Regulations.

As I surmise you will also be running this supply across other people's
property -- even if only the freeholder's -- you will need legal permission
from them to do this.

| The next 15 metres of cable would be a sort of descent to my garage
| roof.

There are strict regulations over the height of suspended cables -- they
have recently been increased following, I think, the death of a BT engineer.

| The last 5 metres or so takes the power to where I want it.
| (I am using 30m + 30m because those are the lengths on my
| two extension reels).

And you are going to waterproof the connection between the two extension
reels how?

| In this scenario, I don't really need to protect the cable from
| accidental cutting or damage anywhere along its length as it runs
| along the building or in the air away from any likely harm.

On a domestic installation "protection by placing out of reach" is not
allowed as a means of protecting either cables or humans.

There are serious public liability issues with what you are proposing. If
anyone is hurt or killed -- even as a result of their own actions eg
vandalising the flex -- you will have to justify your actions in a coroner's
court, and possibly face a charge of manslaughter.

| For my *own* protection as a user of an applicance at the far end of
| the cable it seems that it might be better to put an RCD close to
| whatever appliance I am using. Is this correct?
| OTOH maybe a domestic RCD is so sensitive that it is likely to work
| perfectly well at the mains end even when I am chiefly looking to
| protect me at the far end?

I'm not going to say *anything* which could possibly encourage you to
consider what you are proposing any further. It frightens me :-)

Owain

Palindr˜»me

Sammo wrote:
On 15 Feb 2005, Owain wrote:

"Sammo" wrote
| The point remains -- why are you contemplating using 60m
| extension cables?
| I live in a flat and my car is kept in a garage in a block
| which is in the yard. The garages do not have power and
| sometimes I might need to use a power drill, electric light,
| soldering iron, charge a run-down battery, etc.

[f/u set to uk.d-i-y as getting off-topic for other groups and
definately on-topic for this group; subject line changed]

Ah-ha! "How do I get electricity to my garage" is the real
question you should have asked.

Yes I want power in my garage but only on a temporary basis such as
those occassions when I ned to charge my car battery or use power
tools, etc as I described.

[...]

You talk a lot of sense but my neighbours do not. They are not DIY
or car enthusiasts and have no ineterst in laying on power to the
garage block. :-(

| This is the layout:
| I'm on the third storey and my cable flex would be slung along
| the building for about 30 metres and be supported once where it
| goes out of my flat and supported again (at about the same
| height) where it leaves the building 30m later.

PLEASE STOP RIGHT NOW.

What you are proposing is wholly unacceptable. Ordinary flex and
cable is not designed for being self-supporting over this
distance. The flex will be under considerable mechanical strain
at the supports. Have you considered what happens when 30m of
cable comes loose and whips through the air? Extension lead flex
is also not designed for permanent exterior installation and is
not completely waterproof or resistant to abrasion and uv light.

What you are proposing doing is fixed wiring and should be done
according to the regs for a permanent installation -- designed,
installed, and inspected and tested in full compliance with the
IEE Wiring Regulations.

I was thinking of this arrangement purely on a temporary basis. So
far I have laid the wire on the ground but as it can get damp and/or
dirty then I figured it might be better to suspend it in the air.

Furthermore other might trip on it (even though it is a red colour)
and it seesm better not to inconvenience them.

As I surmise you will also be running this supply across other
people's property -- even if only the freeholder's -- you will
need legal permission from them to do this.

This is unlikely to be an issue as we have a 999 year lease and the
freeholder is an overseas trust fund. This means that we maintain
the flats through our own management company and it holds a lease for
the common parts.

| The next 15 metres of cable would be a sort of descent to my
| garage roof.

There are strict regulations over the height of suspended cables
-- they have recently been increased following, I think, the
death of a BT engineer.

| The last 5 metres or so takes the power to where I want it.
| (I am using 30m + 30m because those are the lengths on my
| two extension reels).

And you are going to waterproof the connection between the two
extension reels how?

No need as I will be using the two extensions in much the same way as
someone might use them for powering a mains hedge trimmer.

| In this scenario, I don't really need to protect the cable from
| accidental cutting or damage anywhere along its length as it
| runs along the building or in the air away from any likely
| harm.

On a domestic installation "protection by placing out of reach"
is not allowed as a means of protecting either cables or humans.

There are serious public liability issues with what you are
proposing. If anyone is hurt or killed -- even as a result of
their own actions eg vandalising the flex -- you will have to
justify your actions in a coroner's court, and possibly face a
charge of manslaughter.

| For my *own* protection as a user of an applicance at the far
| end of the cable it seems that it might be better to put an RCD
| close to whatever appliance I am using. Is this correct?
| OTOH maybe a domestic RCD is so sensitive that it is likely to
| work perfectly well at the mains end even when I am chiefly
| looking to protect me at the far end?

I'm not going to say *anything* which could possibly encourage
you to consider what you are proposing any further. It frightens
me :-)

Heh! :-)

I must admit to doing much the same when I was living in a
London flat - for very similar sorts of reasons and only to
rig up and put away each time I used it. It obviously
depends on your physical arrangements as to whether it is
totally reckless or not quite totally so.

What I did, however, was to take some polypropylene cord and
tied figure of eight knots on the bight every foot or so,
with the loop big enough to pass the plug through. You have
guessed the rest - one end of the cord was tied to the
window frame and the other to the garage and the power cable
just ran down through the loops. That way, the weight of the
cable was taken by loops in the tensioned cord -
particularly important at the ends, where otherwise the
cable would have had to be tied around something. Where I
had to do a change in direction to avoid the cable rubbing
against anything, I just took a piece of cord from the main
cord and tied it off, to a tree branch, IIRC - and then
tensioned the cords to get the run I wanted..

I don't know your layout and can only advise that doing
things like this is inherently high risk - but, if you are
going to do it anyway, this might help reduce that risk a
little. If it goes wrong, as you have been clearly told -
you will be wishing that you just bought an inverter or a
small genny (IIRC, B&Q do a perfectly good one for under
100GBP) - I have one and it has paid for itself time and
time again. They weren't available at anything like that
price when I played silly games with cables.

If you do think about leaving the cord(s) (but not the
cable) in place - with a pull through extra cord so that you
can pull the cable down as and when you need it, be aware
that man-made cords can be very affected by sunlight, by
relatively modest sudden shock loads, by abrasion, by
pressure at points of sharp change in direction, by the
knots and by a whole lot more. So you need to select the
cord carefully with a very high factor of safety and inspect
it often. Also note that birds will sit on it and do what
birds do to whatever is underneath - so routing it over a
neighbour's patio is not a good idea - unless you live in
London*.

--

Sue
* Where few flat-dwellers even know the names of their

Building an Extension katogrove UK diy 1 November 11th 04 10:48 PM
Help: Planning application for two storey extension [email protected] UK diy 31 June 15th 04 09:27 AM
sequence of tripping CB Sam UK diy 13 March 24th 04 09:24 AM
Problem Installing Delta Extension Table On Unisaw jegan Woodworking 4 March 1st 04 05:20 PM
how to do foundations for extension with snotty neighbour? Steve North UK diy 7 September 25th 03 12:01 PM