troubleinstore

Default S-Video leads ?

As we will be moving later this year, hopefully, we have started packing.
The DVD layer was one of the first items to be packed away. Having a laptop
and a desktop pc both with s-video connectors on, I purchased a s-video lead
so that i could connect either to the tv and watch a video. The problem is,
that I only get a black & white piceture on the tv. Is this right ? Not
having a s-video connector on the tv I am running it through a scart adaptor
with s-video connection on.

Your help and commenbts would be much appreciated.

--
troubleinstore
Email address in posting is ficticious and is intended as spam trap

View my auction items on eBay & eBid:-
http://www.tuppencechange.co.uk/auction-idx.html

Tim Mitchell

In article , troubleinstore
writes
As we will be moving later this year, hopefully, we have started packing.
The DVD layer was one of the first items to be packed away. Having a laptop
and a desktop pc both with s-video connectors on, I purchased a s-video lead
so that i could connect either to the tv and watch a video. The problem is,
that I only get a black & white piceture on the tv. Is this right ? Not
having a s-video connector on the tv I am running it through a scart adaptor
with s-video connection on.

It means that your TV probably can't accept S-video, or it has an option
switch somewhere which you need to turn on.

S-video on SCART uses the composite video pin for luminance (black&white
signal) and one of the RGB pins (I think) for chrominance (colour
signal), but you have to switch the SCART to s-video mode in an option
because it is incompatible with RGB mode.
--
Tim Mitchell
Christian McArdle

Is this right ? Not having a s-video connector on the tv I am
running it through a scart adaptor with s-video connection on.

Few TVs will support S-Video on SCART. This is particularly true if they
don't already have an S-Video input. After all, if they had the circuitry to
accept S-Video, they'd have spent the 20p on a proper socket for it.

Christian.

:::Jerry::::

"troubleinstore" wrote in message
snip
so that i could connect either to the tv and watch a video. The problem

is,
that I only get a black & white piceture on the tv. Is this right ?

snip

Please don't multi-post question, you have replies in another group as well.

John Rumm

troubleinstore wrote:

that I only get a black & white piceture on the tv. Is this right ? Not
having a s-video connector on the tv I am running it through a scart adaptor
with s-video connection on.

Your help and commenbts would be much appreciated.

See if the TV has a sepearate logical input for s-video (i.e. look to
see in the number of AV in "channels" is greater than the physical
number of sockets). If it does not have one, then you will need to
modify your s-video lead to convert its output to composite video (aka
CVBS). This is usually a case of just combining the Chroma and Luma
wires together before connecting them to the composite input on the SCART.

--
Cheers,

John.

Andrew Chesters

John Rumm wrote:
troubleinstore wrote:

that I only get a black & white piceture on the tv. Is this right ? Not
having a s-video connector on the tv I am running it through a scart
adaptor
with s-video connection on.

Your help and commenbts would be much appreciated.

See if the TV has a sepearate logical input for s-video (i.e. look to
see in the number of AV in "channels" is greater than the physical
number of sockets). If it does not have one, then you will need to
modify your s-video lead to convert its output to composite video (aka
CVBS). This is usually a case of just combining the Chroma and Luma
wires together before connecting them to the composite input on the SCART.

You can get two types of adapters fairly easily. S-VID to SCART or
S-VID to COMP VID. Combining the two signals is done with a small value
capacitor, ISTR 10pf.

One other option would be to check that the PC is ouputing the signal as
PAL, not NTSC. Where you'd check I have no idea!

Andrew
Dave Plowman (News)

In article ,
troubleinstore wrote:
As we will be moving later this year, hopefully, we have started
packing. The DVD layer was one of the first items to be packed away.
Having a laptop and a desktop pc both with s-video connectors on, I
purchased a s-video lead so that i could connect either to the tv and
watch a video. The problem is, that I only get a black & white piceture
on the tv. Is this right ? Not having a s-video connector on the tv I am
running it through a scart adaptor with s-video connection on.

Not all SCART sockets accept S-Video. In practice, the majority don't, as
it's a bodge and shouldn't be allowed. However, if yours does and it says
so in the instructions, you might still have to enable it in the menu.

Mono from an S-Video feed says it's getting the Y signal to the composite
input on the SCART, pin 20, but not the C to pin 15.

--
*Be more or less specific *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Rick Hughes

"troubleinstore" wrote in message
As we will be moving later this year, hopefully, we have started packing.
The DVD layer was one of the first items to be packed away. Having a
laptop
and a desktop pc both with s-video connectors on, I purchased a s-video
lead
so that i could connect either to the tv and watch a video. The problem
is,
that I only get a black & white piceture on the tv. Is this right ? Not
having a s-video connector on the tv I am running it through a scart
adaptor

I had a similar problem ... had to go into TV settings and tell it to use
S-Video, by default it looked for RGB.

Rick

Steven Briggs

In message , Christian
McArdle writes
Is this right ? Not having a s-video connector on the tv I am
running it through a scart adaptor with s-video connection on.

Few TVs will support S-Video on SCART. This is particularly true if they
don't already have an S-Video input. After all, if they had the circuitry to
accept S-Video, they'd have spent the 20p on a proper socket for it.

Christian.

IME (panasonic stuff) the 2nd scart often accepts S-Video.
Its labelled as "AV2(S)", by default you get the B&W picture from an
S-Video source (i.e. it assumes composite input). Pressing the red
button on the remote switches to S-Video mode & you get a colour pic.

YMMV

--
steve
Dave Plowman (News)

In article ,
Rick Hughes wrote:
I had a similar problem ... had to go into TV settings and tell it to
use S-Video, by default it looked for RGB.

No SCART I've ever come across looks for RGB as a default - they need a
switching volts on pin 16, otherwise just use composite.

--
*Can vegetarians eat animal crackers?

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Dave Plowman (News)

In article ,
. wrote:
While we're on S-video... can I record onto a PC CD/DVD drive from a VCR
via an S-video cable?

If they both have S-Video ports, then yes. Of course the sound has to go
separately.

--
*What happens if you get scared half to death twice? *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
John Rumm

.. wrote:

While we're on S-video... can I record onto a PC CD/DVD drive from a VCR
via an S-video cable?

Only if the PC has some way of capturing and digitizing the video first
(e.g.. video capture card). The CD/DVD drive in a PC has no video
capability of its own.

--
Cheers,

John.

.

In article , Dave Plowman (News)
writes
In article ,
. wrote:
While we're on S-video... can I record onto a PC CD/DVD drive from a VCR
via an S-video cable?

If they both have S-Video ports, then yes. Of course the sound has to go
separately.

Thanks Dave, I have a number of family videos that I want to put onto
DVD when I get a roundtuit, is using S-video the best way to connect
video to PC for this?
--
David
.

In article , John
Rumm writes
. wrote:

While we're on S-video... can I record onto a PC CD/DVD drive from a VCR
via an S-video cable?

Only if the PC has some way of capturing and digitizing the video first
(e.g.. video capture card). The CD/DVD drive in a PC has no video
capability of its own.

As I have an S-video port on the PC, it should have the hardware
shouldn't it? if so I just need the correct software.
--
David
Keith G. Powell

"." wrote in message
In article , John
Rumm writes
. wrote:

While we're on S-video... can I record onto a PC CD/DVD drive from a VCR
via an S-video cable?

Only if the PC has some way of capturing and digitizing the video first
(e.g.. video capture card). The CD/DVD drive in a PC has no video
capability of its own.

As I have an S-video port on the PC, it should have the hardware
shouldn't it? if so I just need the correct software.
--
David

I have an S-video port on my PC, but it only for *output* e.g. to a TV

Keith G. Powell

Andrew Chesters

.. wrote:
In article , John
Rumm writes

. wrote:

While we're on S-video... can I record onto a PC CD/DVD drive from a VCR
via an S-video cable?

Only if the PC has some way of capturing and digitizing the video first
(e.g.. video capture card). The CD/DVD drive in a PC has no video
capability of its own.

As I have an S-video port on the PC, it should have the hardware
shouldn't it? if so I just need the correct software.

Check that the S-VID connector is an input, if so you're fine. On a TV
card? Connect your sound to the sound input on that card too, or you
can get synchronization problems. If using a flat screen, beware that
the synchronisation can look wrong due to delays in the screen itself.
John Rumm

.. wrote:

As I have an S-video port on the PC, it should have the hardware
shouldn't it? if so I just need the correct software.

Chances are it is an output only. Unless you have bought a high end
graphics card with capture, like one of the ATI All in Wonder series, or
added a dedicated video capture card.

You could either go that route, or if you have a digital camcorder
with firewire you can use that as a digitizer (firewire is cheap to add
to the PC if you don't already have it).

--
Cheers,

John.

Mike Tomlinson

In article , troubleinstore
writes

Not
having a s-video connector on the tv I am running it through a scart adaptor
with s-video connection on.

In addition to Tim's comments about turning on S-video-on-SCART, perhaps
you could also check your laptop and desktop are configured to put out a
PAL signal, not NTSC. (If I tell my DVD player to put out NTSC, the
picture on my TV goes B&W.)

--
..sigmonster on vacation

Mike Tomlinson

In article , Christian
McArdle writes

Few TVs will support S-Video on SCART. This is particularly true if they
don't already have an S-Video input.

shrug Mine does. It has two SCART and composite in, but no S-video.
S-video on SCART is an option in the SCART setup menus. The TV's a JVC
something-or-other.

--
..sigmonster on vacation

Dave Plowman (News)

In article ,
Mike Tomlinson wrote:
Few TVs will support S-Video on SCART. This is particularly true if they
don't already have an S-Video input.

shrug Mine does. It has two SCART and composite in, but no S-video.
S-video on SCART is an option in the SCART setup menus. The TV's a JVC
something-or-other.

Same on my Philips. And Panasonic.

--
*A clear conscience is usually the sign of a bad memory *