Mike Armstrong

Default Setting shower tray on silicone - what about the rim?

Hi all,

Like the subject says...

It seems from the google archives that quite a few of you have bedded
a stone resin shower tray on silicone. Question is, did you run a
thick bead all across the base area and rely on the weight of the tray
to flatten it out. If so, what about the rim? I suppose one could
just run one single bead where the rim will go. The tray would have
to go down very accurately 'first time' for that to work. Any
thoughts?

Also, I was going to floor tile the en-suite but we have since
decided to use laminate (floormaster aqua loc). I was going to fit
the tiles up to the shower tray but sit the sink/pedestal and toilet
on top of the tiles. Would you still take that approach with laminate
flooring or is there too much 'spring' in the laminate/underlay for
this to be practical? Sense is telling me to fit around.

Thanks

Mike
Dave

Mike Armstrong wrote:
Hi all,

Like the subject says...

It seems from the google archives that quite a few of you have bedded
a stone resin shower tray on silicone. Question is, did you run a
thick bead all across the base area and rely on the weight of the tray
to flatten it out. If so, what about the rim? I suppose one could
just run one single bead where the rim will go. The tray would have
to go down very accurately 'first time' for that to work. Any
thoughts?

I considered silicone but decided to follow the manufacturers advice and
used mortar, ... pretty straightforward and it supports the rim.

--
Dave S
(The return email address is a dummy)
Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave
Mike Armstrong wrote:
Hi all,

Like the subject says...

It seems from the google archives that quite a few of you have bedded
a stone resin shower tray on silicone. Question is, did you run a
thick bead all across the base area and rely on the weight of the tray
to flatten it out. If so, what about the rim? I suppose one could
just run one single bead where the rim will go. The tray would have
to go down very accurately 'first time' for that to work. Any
thoughts?

I considered silicone but decided to follow the manufacturers advice and
used mortar, ... pretty straightforward and it supports the rim.

--
Dave S
(The return email address is a dummy)

Manufacturers don't no jack. Silicone for success.
Lobster

Paul Barker wrote:
Dave Wrote:

I considered silicone but decided to follow the manufacturers
advice and used mortar, ... pretty straightforward and it supports
the rim.

Manufacturers don't no jack. Silicone for success.

Well my mortared one has worked fine, and in complying with the
manufacturer's instructions I've retained their x-year guarantee on the
product. Whereas you haven't.

David

Mike Armstrong

On Thu, 10 Feb 2005 23:58:26 GMT, Lobster
wrote:

Paul Barker wrote:
Dave Wrote:

I considered silicone but decided to follow the manufacturers
advice and used mortar, ... pretty straightforward and it supports
the rim.

Manufacturers don't no jack. Silicone for success.

Well my mortared one has worked fine, and in complying with the
manufacturer's instructions I've retained their x-year guarantee on the
product. Whereas you haven't.

David

Actually, the manufacturers instructions for my shower tray
'durastone' specify either mortar or silicone. Their technical line
was next to useless when I asked them this same question.

Mike

Rick Hughes

"Paul Barker" wrote in message

Dave Wrote:

Interesting to note that the 3 shower trays I used (Just Trays) all
specifically forbid the use of Silicone - stating Guarantee was void is it
was bedded down on anything other than weak mix mortar ... so I followed
their advice.

Senior Member

These wouldn't be the same manufacturers who make bath waste connections that don't work without silicone either would they? Don't believe all you read from manufacturers. Do you honestly believe when your shower tray cracks in 4 years time they are going to come and replace it for you re- do all your tiling and grouting, redecorate the room below? fit things properly, it's your house not theirs.

Whats the best way to fit shower tray Derek Doormer UK diy 7 December 22nd 04 01:31 PM
tiled shower tray william UK diy 19 July 28th 04 09:03 AM
Shower tray replacement James Fidell UK diy 2 April 29th 04 11:25 PM
Shower tray - advice on selection Lobster UK diy 5 January 9th 04 03:40 PM
Help bedding in a shower tray Martin UK diy 1 January 6th 04 02:31 AM