Riz1

Default dishwasher salt question

Hi
i live in manchester and the water here is soft. Do i still need to
add salt to my dishwasher and if so is it titrated again water
hardness?
apologies for the dumbass question but new to this malarky and dont
ask, dont learn!
Aidan

Riz1 wrote:
Hi
i live in manchester and the water here is soft.

On my dishwasher (Bosch) there's an adjustment which is set according
to the hardness of the water supply. I'd imagine that this alters the
frequency at which the integral water softener regenerates and so the
salt consumption. You'd find out from the water suppliers what the
typical hardness is. I don't think they'd supply water at 0 ppm
hardness 'cos it would cause problems with lead pipe plumbo-solvency,
copper pin-holing and stuff.

So, I think the answer is yes, but you'd need to read the relevant
manual.

Broadback

Riz1 wrote:
Hi
i live in manchester and the water here is soft. Do i still need to
add salt to my dishwasher and if so is it titrated again water
hardness?
apologies for the dumbass question but new to this malarky and dont
ask, dont learn!

There should be different settings according to water hardness. The
local water authority will tell you that and the dishwasher
manufacturers will tell you which setting you need.
Nick Finnigan

"Riz1" wrote in message
om...
Hi
i live in manchester and the water here is soft. Do i still need to
add salt to my dishwasher and if so is it titrated again water
hardness?

I haven't added salt for years, and haven't noticed a problem
(except the annoying delay at the start of every cycle).

Mike Barnes

In uk.d-i-y, Riz1 wrote:
i live in manchester and the water here is soft. Do i still need to
add salt to my dishwasher and if so is it titrated again water
hardness?

I've lived in the Manchester area for the 25-years-or-so I've been using
a dishwasher, and I've never added salt. There doesn't seem to be any
need. I'm not sure exactly what I should be looking for that might
indicate a need for salt, though.

--
Mike Barnes

Ian Middleton

"Mike Barnes" wrote in message
In uk.d-i-y, Riz1 wrote:
i live in manchester and the water here is soft. Do i still need to
add salt to my dishwasher and if so is it titrated again water
hardness?

I've lived in the Manchester area for the 25-years-or-so I've been using
a dishwasher, and I've never added salt. There doesn't seem to be any
need. I'm not sure exactly what I should be looking for that might
indicate a need for salt, though.

--

The salt is for recharging the water softener built into the dishwasher.
There are some washing machines (rare) that have softeners built in. The

- You need less detergent (all doses are for soft water anyway).
- Soft water lifts dirt off better than hard water.
- You don't get scale stains on your glasses (and scaling of dishwasher).

Before we had a house water softener fitted it was pretty obvious the salt
had run out on the dishwasher by the scale stains on the glasses. Add salt,
nice clean glasses again.

Riz1

Mike Barnes wrote in message d...
In uk.d-i-y, Riz1 wrote:
i live in manchester and the water here is soft. Do i still need to
add salt to my dishwasher and if so is it titrated again water
hardness?

I've lived in the Manchester area for the 25-years-or-so I've been using
a dishwasher, and I've never added salt. There doesn't seem to be any
need. I'm not sure exactly what I should be looking for that might
indicate a need for salt, though.

thanks chaps.
i rang united utilities and they gave me the clarkes value of hardness
for both mine and my parents house [2 miles apart, different base
supply] and this was 2.8 in both cases and hence very low - no need
for salt.
Ian Middleton

om...
In uk.d-i-y, Riz1 wrote:
i live in manchester and the water here is soft. Do i still need to
add salt to my dishwasher and if so is it titrated again water
hardness?

I've lived in the Manchester area for the 25-years-or-so I've been using
a dishwasher, and I've never added salt. There doesn't seem to be any
need. I'm not sure exactly what I should be looking for that might
indicate a need for salt, though.

thanks chaps.
i rang united utilities and they gave me the clarkes value of hardness
for both mine and my parents house [2 miles apart, different base
supply] and this was 2.8 in both cases and hence very low - no need
for salt.

Blimey 19 Clarkes here in Eastleigh (measured over 20 by my test kit), no
wonder our baths/showers got covered in scale so quickly. All in the past
now with a watersoftener.

Aidan

Riz1 wrote:
..
i rang united utilities and they gave me the clarkes value of

hardness

350 ppm around me, a lot of water from boreholes in chalk, apparently.
No idea what that is on the Clarke's scale.

I'd have thought you'd put salt in and it would regenerate very
infrequently, so minimal salt consumption.

Mark Gittoes

I also asked my water supplier for a hardness value and they said that
my location in Bracknell Berkshire was 20 Degrees Clarke hardness
which was rated as fairly hard. When I came to commission my new water
softener this weekend this turned out to be almost spot on the default
setting for the unit. This is good for me as I don't have to worry
about resetting the hardness control following a power cut.

In uk.d-i-y, Riz1 wrote:
i live in manchester and the water here is soft. Do i still need to
add salt to my dishwasher and if so is it titrated again water
hardness?

I've lived in the Manchester area for the 25-years-or-so I've been using
a dishwasher, and I've never added salt. There doesn't seem to be any
need. I'm not sure exactly what I should be looking for that might
indicate a need for salt, though.

thanks chaps.
i rang united utilities and they gave me the clarkes value of hardness
for both mine and my parents house [2 miles apart, different base
supply] and this was 2.8 in both cases and hence very low - no need
for salt.

Ian Middleton

"Aidan" wrote in message
ups.com...

Riz1 wrote:
.
i rang united utilities and they gave me the clarkes value of

hardness

350 ppm around me, a lot of water from boreholes in chalk, apparently.
No idea what that is on the Clarke's scale.

I'd have thought you'd put salt in and it would regenerate very
infrequently, so minimal salt consumption.

The softener regenerates every cycle the salt setting just controls the
amount of salt water used to regenerate the resin. Turn it down and salt
lasts longer, though whether you need it at 2 clark.

I think you will find 350ppm is clasiified as hard. See
http://www.aqua-correct.dk/dk1skw/uk...ess-tabel.html

West Midlands, UK.

When I worked as a Lab Assistance years ago, we use to use salt to harden
water, then when I worked for a company in Birmingham's Jewellery Quarter,
they use SALT to Soften water.
We you get a teaspoon of salt, or dip your hands in salt, you foind you cant
get a lather, so its harden water, thats why you can wash with it.
But as for adding salt in Soft water area, it not needed.

I should not feel yourself as being dumb, Question are only easy if you know
the answer, that why I never what "THE WEAKEST LINK ".
some of us men might get good tip from what you call dumb women, men are
good at some things, but not all thing, if I've made any spelling mistakes
excuse me, I a MAN.

I can only receive Plain Text, not HTML, I like it that way.
I don't buy any items outside the UK.
I'm not interested in any state lotteries from any country,
if I've won just send the money, other wise "Go to hell"
=============================
If your asking me to phone you, the phone does not
allow 07??, 08??, & 09?? numbers to be dialed, THANK YOU !
===========================
If your a friend, you will respect me as a friend.
===========================
I do not want a Business partnership, with anyone offering
??000000 million dollars $, especially from Africa or Holland,
or connected to: . Not interested in any Business Partnership
from any country, offering 1000 plus $ etc;
============================
And I do not wish to be directed to your Web-Page,
to see you on Web-Camera, as most are dead ends.
=====================
I GET MY MEDICINES FREE.....!.....Thanks
"Riz1" wrote in message
om...
Hi
i live in manchester and the water here is soft. Do i still need to
add salt to my dishwasher and if so is it titrated again water
hardness?
apologies for the dumbass question but new to this malarky and dont
ask, dont learn!

On Tue, 8 Feb 2005 09:35:16 -0000, "Ian Middleton"
wrote:

Blimey 19 Clarkes here in Eastleigh (measured over 20 by my test kit), no
wonder our baths/showers got covered in scale so quickly. All in the past
now with a watersoftener.

Water standards can even vary across a very small area.

For a period of time, I lived in a city centre property. The water in
Coventry town centre was awful. It stank of chlorine and if you ran
the hot water tap on high for a bath the water would foam and the
chlorine smell would become very bad.

The water in the city centre is also very hard. A kettle would become
very badly scaled within two months.

However, you only need to go a mile outside the city centre and
the water is completely different. It has no chlorine smell and there
is never any need to discale the kettle.

I think that Coventry is supplied from two different water sources. I
know that one of them is an underground spring.

Graham

Mike Hibbert

Riz1 wrote:
Hi
i live in manchester and the water here is soft. Do i still need to
add salt to my dishwasher and if so is it titrated again water
hardness?
apologies for the dumbass question but new to this malarky and dont
ask, dont learn!

You can get those 3in1 tablet for the dishwasher, contain detergent,
salt and rinseaid, then you don't need to worry about anything.
Bob Eager

On Tue, 8 Feb 2005 21:18:30 UTC, Mike Hibbert
wrote:

Riz1 wrote:
Hi
i live in manchester and the water here is soft. Do i still need to
add salt to my dishwasher and if so is it titrated again water
hardness?
apologies for the dumbass question but new to this malarky and dont
ask, dont learn!

You can get those 3in1 tablet for the dishwasher, contain detergent,
salt and rinseaid, then you don't need to worry about anything.

Except that they are reputed to not work as well, and they're more
expensive.
--
Bob Eager
begin a new life...dump Windows!

On Tue, 08 Feb 2005 21:18:30 GMT, Mike Hibbert
wrote:

You can get those 3in1 tablet for the dishwasher, contain detergent,
salt and rinseaid, then you don't need to worry about anything.

Apparently, the salt unit in some dishwashers will fail if they are
run for some time without any salt.

You may find that if you switch to tablets that you cannot then go
back to using conventional granular salt at a later date.

Graham

Steve Walker

On 7 Feb 2005 01:20:45 -0800, Aidan wrote:

Riz1 wrote:
Hi
i live in manchester and the water here is soft.

On my dishwasher (Bosch) there's an adjustment which is set according
to the hardness of the water supply. I'd imagine that this alters the
frequency at which the integral water softener regenerates and so the
salt consumption. You'd find out from the water suppliers what the
typical hardness is. I don't think they'd supply water at 0 ppm
hardness 'cos it would cause problems with lead pipe plumbo-solvency,
copper pin-holing and stuff.

So, I think the answer is yes, but you'd need to read the relevant
manual.

Manchester's water is very soft - dishwashers, kettles, pipes, don't have a
mark on them after many years. In fact the water here is so soft that the
water suppliers have to add chemicals (phosphates if I remember right) to
stop the water slowly dissolving lead pipes - I really should be able to
remember, as I designed the control panels for some of the dosing rigs!

Steve Walker
Steph Peters

(Riz1) of http://groups.google.com wrote:

Hi
i live in manchester and the water here is soft. Do i still need to
add salt to my dishwasher and if so is it titrated again water
hardness?
apologies for the dumbass question but new to this malarky and dont
ask, dont learn!

I also live in Manchester. I've never put salt in any dishwasher here,
including my current Bosch. They all work(ed) fine without.
--
The very purpose of existence is to reconcile the glowing opinion we hold of
ourselves with the appalling things that other people think about us.

Water Softener; Technetic question WOODWRKRz Home Repair 1 June 28th 04 12:11 AM
Dishwasher Drain Greg Home Repair 2 June 8th 04 11:54 AM
Simple question regarding Ceiling tiles and sound? lbbs Home Repair 6 March 26th 04 01:23 AM
Dishwasher stopped working mid-cycle Kamal Home Ownership 3 December 23rd 03 02:08 PM
Dishwasher Install Michael Roback Home Ownership 2 November 10th 03 09:00 PM