WOODWRKRz

Default Water Softener; Technetic question

I had a Technetic 1000 water softener installed in my house in 1994. All I
have had to do is feed it salt for the last 10 years. I am on a private well,
the unit is programmed for a hardness setting of 18 and 3.4 lbs of salt per
regeneration, I do have a little iron in the water. I use the green bag of
morton salt pellets. The unit seems to be working fine up to now, although I
occaisionally I have had some iron come thru the system. My questions; Is
there any periodic maintenance I should have been doing? Is there any iron
treatment I could put in with the salt to help clean up any iron or other junk
in the resin bed? My brother recently gave me a 50lb box of resin beads he had
purchased for a Sears softener but never used. Should I consider changing out
the resin after all these years of service (we are a family of 6 and use about
400 gallons of water a day.)
Gary Slusser

"WOODWRKRz" wrote in message
[...]

Mix a cup of Iron Out in a gallon of water and pour it into the brine water,
add another 3-4 gallons of water to the brine water and do a manual
regeneration. Repeat with as little water as possible used between the
manual regenerations. Until the unit doesn't remove the iron and hardness,
there's no sense in replacing the resin. Plus your 50# is only 1' of resin
and your softener may be larger than 32k (1')

Gary
Quality Water Associates
www.qualitywaterassociates.com
Bulletin Board www.qualitywaterassociates.com/phpBB2