r.p.mcmurphy

Default Compressors and airline fittings

Hi all, bought a compressor of ebay, and some airline and tools from machine
mart only to find i now need fittings to couple 'em all together! can
someone explain the basics about compressors for me? i.e...lubrication for
the tools, using paint spray guns, precautions etc etc? also the compressor
has an air outlet attached to the body of the air receiver and two outlets
on what appears to be an air pressure adjustable gadget...which do i use for
what?

TIA!

Steve

keng

Compressors aren't a basic d.i.y. tool to be treated with a casual,
learn as you potter along attitude.

Try a google search using any of your post phrases.

Kaiser

"r.p.mcmurphy" wrote in message
Hi all, bought a compressor of ebay, and some airline and tools from
machine mart only to find i now need fittings to couple 'em all together!
can someone explain the basics about compressors for me?
i.e...lubrication for the tools, using paint spray guns, precautions etc
etc? also the compressor has an air outlet attached to the body of the
air receiver and two outlets on what appears to be an air pressure
adjustable gadget...which do i use for what?

TIA!

Steve

Usually Machine Mart sell their air tools and hoses with 1/4"BSP screw
connections made on, but I assume you are talking about quick release
connectors.

There are various types of connectors, PCL, Euro, and Bayonet connectors. I
bought some sets from Ebay that were similar to the Euro type connectors but
were very reasonably priced.

Spray guns, Blow guns, Tyre inflators don't need lubrication. Nail guns /
staplers do need lubrication, you can lubricate them manually or buy an
inline oiler for constant use.

The variable pressure regulator normally controls pressure on one of the
outlets, the outlet other may be unregulated.

:::Jerry::::

"Kaiser" wrote in message

snip

Spray guns, Blow guns, Tyre inflators don't need lubrication.

Another point is that the above tools often require any lubricant in the air
supply to be removed using a suitable trap, especially spray guns.

Nail guns /
staplers do need lubrication, you can lubricate them manually or buy an
inline oiler for constant use.

But there should be a water trap before the tool.

The variable pressure regulator normally controls pressure on one of the
outlets, the outlet other may be unregulated.

If the unregulated outlet is low down on the tank it could be intended as a
tank drain, and certainly if it is at the bottom, to allow trapped water to
be removed.

T i m

On Fri, 4 Feb 2005 23:52:15 -0000, "Kaiser" wrote:

But there should be a water trap before the tool.

Agreed, but not really so important on small portable compressors as they
don't often get used long enough to get much of a moisture build up, and you
can always drain it off using the drain valve at the bottom of the tank.

I was 'given' one of those little 'Bambi' (I think they are called?)
super quiet compressors (that sits on a tank that looks like a big
cheese g) and when I collected it I found it was 'very' heavy for
it's size.

When I tested it it seemed to come up to pressure very quickly and in
use had little capacity?

I undid the lower drain tap and the tank must have been completely
full of water! ;-(

It had been used in a "Goods out" area to power one of those instant
two part foam packing machines and was on (but not running) most of
the day (but never drained off obviously!).

All the best ..

T i m

John Rumm

r.p.mcmurphy wrote:

Hi all, bought a compressor of ebay, and some airline and tools from machine
mart only to find i now need fittings to couple 'em all together! can

Various connections get commonly used. The simplest is the PCL
connector. You would typically fit a female one to the compressor and
the tool and of the hose, and a male one to the other end of the hose
and each of your tools. That way you can quickly plug and unplug tools
and hoses. The PCL is self sealing as well, so if you disconnect a tool
from the end of the hose you don't then have air blasting out the end!

Look in the Axminster catalogue, there is a good range there including
the lubricants.

someone explain the basics about compressors for me? i.e...lubrication for

If your compressor is "oil free", then it does not use any. Otherwise
compressor oil would be the stuff to use. Many have a dipstick and can
be topped up much as you would a car.

Lubrication of the tools is done with air tool oil (or any light oil in
many cases). Some tools will be happy with a few drops of oil up their
supply connector each time you finish using them. Others would prefer an
in-line oiler. These can be either mounted on the compressor,
automatically feeding all tools, or smaller in-line ones mounted on the
tools inlet.

If you are paint spraying you may not want in-line oiling since it can
contaminate your paint finish.

the tools, using paint spray guns, precautions etc etc? also the compressor

Treat with great respect! Spray guns in particular - placed close to the
skin they can inject paint and thinners straight through it, and cause a
nice big embolism in the process.

Take care when connecting or disconnecting hoses, use ear defenders even
for this. Long hoses can give quite an explosive decompression when
disconnected from the feed end - fitting a blow head and discharging the
air in the hose first can be a good move.

Blow heads/dusters can be very useful, but can also give you a face or
eye full of dust/swarf in short order in not used with care and eye
protection.

has an air outlet attached to the body of the air receiver and two outlets
on what appears to be an air pressure adjustable gadget...which do i use for
what?

Depends a bit on the type of compressor... (do you have the ebay item
number, we could have a look?). Often there are two pressure gauges, one
reads the pressure in the receiver, the other the pressure of the
output. A pressure switch will keep the receiver topped up to within
upper and lower limits by turning the compressor on and off as required.
An adjustable regulator can be used to select the output pressure to the
tool. Most will state what their ideal and maximum pressures are. 60 -
90psi is quite common.

Check for a water drain on the compressor, let out any water that has
condensed in it at the end of the day once it has been depressurised.

--
Cheers,

John.

Kaiser

"T i m" wrote in message
[...]

Most manufacturers recommend draining the tank every day to help prevent
corrosion inside of the tank. Moisture/Water traps (some times referred to
as separators) are generally used on industrial permanent installations
where moisture lays trapped in the distribution pipe work.

Aidan

Kaiser wrote:

I undid the lower drain tap and the tank must have been completely
full of water! ;-(

Most manufacturers recommend draining the tank every day to help

prevent
corrosion inside of the tank.

The inside of the tank (receiver) can corrode and can be weakened to
the point where it is unsafe. If it should fail under pressure, it will
burst in an explosive manner, scattering metal fragments at lethal
velocities.

If the compressor is second-hand, it is important to pressure test the
receiver, with water, to a pressure in excess of it's working pressure
to ensure that it won't fail.

If it's used for work, I think the Pressure System Regulations apply. I
don't know if there's any legal requirement to inspect & test DIY
compressors, like an MOT test. It could still kill.

Anyone know of any relevant legislation?

Kaiser

"Aidan" wrote in message
oups.com...

Kaiser wrote:

[...]

It's a code of practice and the inspection carried out by the Companys
Insurer.

Aidan

Kaiser wrote:

If it's used for work, I think the Pressure System Regulations

apply.

I don't know if there's any legal requirement to inspect & test DIY
compressors, like an MOT test.

It's a code of practice and the inspection carried out by the

Companys
Insurer.

Yes. I know.

So, if it's a compressor for DIY use, there is no company and no
company's insurer.

Anyone know of any relevant legislation?

Kaiser

"Aidan" wrote in message
ups.com...

Kaiser wrote:

If it's used for work, I think the Pressure System Regulations

apply.

I don't know if there's any legal requirement to inspect & test DIY
compressors, like an MOT test.

It's a code of practice and the inspection carried out by the

Companys
Insurer.

Yes. I know.

So, if it's a compressor for DIY use, there is no company and no
company's insurer.

Anyone know of any relevant legislation?

I have just done a google search and found this government document, but it
doesn't seem to mention anything to do with DIY use, unless I've missed
something.
http://www.legislation.hmso.gov.uk/s...12749_en_1.htm

Jeff

"Kaiser" wrote in message

"Aidan" wrote in message
ups.com...

Kaiser wrote:

If it's used for work, I think the Pressure System Regulations

apply.

I don't know if there's any legal requirement to inspect & test DIY
compressors, like an MOT test.

It's a code of practice and the inspection carried out by the

Companys
Insurer.

Yes. I know.

So, if it's a compressor for DIY use, there is no company and no
company's insurer.

Anyone know of any relevant legislation?

I have just done a google search and found this government document, but

it
doesn't seem to mention anything to do with DIY use, unless I've missed
something.
http://www.legislation.hmso.gov.uk/s...12749_en_1.htm

If its used for work there is an insurance inspection, bi-annually iirc.
Usual set up is compressor - drier - reciever, with auto drain into
oil/water seperator and at the business end FRL (filter, regulator,
lubricator)

Regards Jeff

:::Jerry::::

"Jeff" wrote in message
. ..

snip
Usual set up is compressor - drier - reciever, with auto drain into
oil/water seperator and at the business end FRL (filter, regulator,
lubricator)

All the installations I've seen have the dryer *after* the receiver, due to
the need to 'chill' the air (although this might be specific to
installations feeding air feed breathing masks etc.

Jeff

":::Jerry::::" wrote in message

"Jeff" wrote in message
. ..

snip
Usual set up is compressor - drier - reciever, with auto drain into
oil/water seperator and at the business end FRL (filter, regulator,
lubricator)

All the installations I've seen have the dryer *after* the receiver, due

the need to 'chill' the air (although this might be specific to
installations feeding air feed breathing masks etc.

I stand corrected - you are right Jerry, the compressor feeds into the
reciever (which removes the bulk of the water) and then the air is feed
through the drier.
(I just pictured the physical arrangement at work)

Regards Jeff