Darren1971

Default Airlock or central heating pump problem?

Hi, I hope someone can help me diagnose this problem. Yesterday
overnight a leak occured in my central heating circuit. I drained down
the system and repaired the leak, then refilled and bled everything I
could find several times with the CH off - radiators, pump and a vent
screw

Now when I switch the boiler on it fires up for between 30s and 60s
before shutting off. It is an Ideal Std gas fired boiler (non-combi).
During the brief period when the boiler is fired, i have discovered
that the flow return pipe is cold and the pumped flow pipe gets
scalding. The pump is definitely running upstairs but I'm wondering if
there's either a large airlock or whether the pump is damaged and not
shifting water - resulting in the boiler heating static water and then
shutting down as it goes over-temperature.

Can anyone suggest how i check this or give me an idea what else it
could be? Could the pump be operational (it's quiet) but damaged enough
not to pump water? Any ideas for purging any remaining airlocks out of
the system.

It's either that or shelling out for a new CH pump to discover if
that's the problem (

Thanks for any advice you can give.

Peter Dickinson

Darren1971 wrote:
[...]

Any chance you turned off any valves during the draindown etc and forgot
to turn them on again.

Essentially this is an impeded flow problem. That is the water isnt
moving. This can be due to gunged pipes, broken pump, massive airlock
or .. closed valves.

Set Square

Darren1971 wrote:

[...]

It's pretty certainly an air lock, stopping the water from circulating.

I'm assuming it's a vented system - not a sealed one. Is this correct?

Have you got a bleed screw on the main circuit - maybe in the airing
cupboard near the hot cylinder? If so, you need to open that with the system
running - and be prepared to get quite wet. Also turn up the pump speed
while you do this, and turn the boiler stat down quite low to make it less
likely that it will trip through over-heating. Eventually, you will be
rewarded with a lot of spluttering and the water will start circulating
again ok.

I am writing from first-hand experience of this very problem!
--
Cheers,
Set Square

David M

Set Square wrote:
Darren1971 wrote:

[...]

This is the exact same situation I had last week after the microbore to one
radiator got damaged after taking too many knocks from the kids.

An alternative/similar solution is to just drain the system a little while
it is running, this made a significant difference, with minimal chance of
getting wet :-)

You could also check for a drainage point at the boiler, hook up a hose to
it and drain from there, given that the problem is likely right at the
boiler then this is a good place to do it.

cheers

David
John Stumbles

Darren1971 wrote:
[...]

There's probably a big chrome slot-head screw or a plastic cap in the
middle of the pump motor which you can remove (some water will come out,
how much and how fast depending broadly on the age of the pump) exposing
the shaft of the pump rotor which you can usually spin with a
screwdriver and see if it's spinning when the pump is running.

Any ideas for purging any remaining airlocks out of
the system.

Push comes to shove you can block the vent pipe and feed mains water
into the feed pipe at the header tank and open up drain cock(s) at low
points of the system to blast air (and maybe muck) out. Or feed in mains
at a low point and have the f&e tank overflow let off the outflow (with
vent pipe blocked off). This has worked for me for a system with severe
airlocking and a couple of systems which blocked up with muck from the
header tank getting drawn into the pipework.