Pecanfan

Default This week I'll be mostly trying my hand at...

....Plumbing. Woohoo!! :-|

So, this coppery soldery stuff... what's the crack with running 10mm central
heating pipes up chased walls? I've seen Denso tape mentioned - any better
ideas? Is this really necessary? Does modern bonding coat harm copper
piping?

Think that's it for now...

TIA,

Andy

Andrew Gabriel

In article ,
"Pecanfan" writes:
...Plumbing. Woohoo!! :-|

So, this coppery soldery stuff... what's the crack with running 10mm central
heating pipes up chased walls? I've seen Denso tape mentioned - any better
ideas? Is this really necessary? Does modern bonding coat harm copper
piping?

No (unless it gets wet for a very long time).
However, copper pipes expand as they heat up, but the plaster doesn't.
When I've buried 15mm copper in plaster, I've threaded it inside 20mm
PVC electrical trunking so it can expand/slide without pushing the plaster
off. (PVC expands and shrinks too, but this doesn't seem to be an issue
here.) I also avoid any joins in the wall (except for a recessed shower
where that was impossible).

--
Andrew Gabriel
Aidan

Pecanfan wrote:
...Plumbing. Woohoo!! :-|

So, this coppery soldery stuff... what's the crack with running 10mm

central
heating pipes up chased walls?

If you must do that, use PEX (Speedfit, Marley Equator, or similar).
BES stock a range. Use pipe-in-pipe, an outer corrugated sleeve is
plastered into the chase, pipe slides up inside it. Much more
civilized.

Pecanfan

No (unless it gets wet for a very long time).
However, copper pipes expand as they heat up, but the plaster doesn't.
When I've buried 15mm copper in plaster, I've threaded it inside 20mm
PVC electrical trunking so it can expand/slide without pushing the plaster
off. (PVC expands and shrinks too, but this doesn't seem to be an issue
here.) I also avoid any joins in the wall (except for a recessed shower
where that was impossible).

OK - cheers for the info.

Andy