Stix

Default US - UK transforming

Hi - I have a retro 60's american blender I'd like to use in the UK.
It lists on the back the following electrical info :

115 V
25-60 Cycle
5.2 Amps (!!)
575 Watts

I'm guessing I can't just use a plug converter (too much load) and if
I use a transformer it will be bigger than the blender..?

Are there any other options - anyone know a company that will convert
- re-wire etc ?

Rgds
Ian Stirling

Stix wrote:
Hi - I have a retro 60's american blender I'd like to use in the UK.
It lists on the back the following electrical info :

115 V
25-60 Cycle
5.2 Amps (!!)
575 Watts

I'm guessing I can't just use a plug converter (too much load) and if
I use a transformer it will be bigger than the blender..?

Are there any other options - anyone know a company that will convert
- re-wire etc ?

It is probably technically possible to rewire it.
However, it will cost lots more than the appropriate size of isolation
transformer. (which you could conceal, as long as it has ventilation).

A 600W transformer (or better, an 800W) one would be fine.
Screwfix have a 3000W one for 50 quid or so, so you'll be looking at
paying somewhat less.
BigWallop

"Stix" wrote in message
om...
Hi - I have a retro 60's american blender I'd like to use in the UK.
It lists on the back the following electrical info :

115 V
25-60 Cycle
5.2 Amps (!!)
575 Watts

I'm guessing I can't just use a plug converter (too much load) and if
I use a transformer it will be bigger than the blender..?

Are there any other options - anyone know a company that will convert
- re-wire etc ?

Rgds

Finding someone to install a 240 volts ac motor of the right size might be
expensive.

The TLC-Direct.co.uk site has step down transformers of working ranges up to
3000 Watts.

Go to: www.tlc-direct.co.uk and type in the search words "Step Down" and it
should give you a list.

---
http://www.basecuritysystems.no-ip.com

Christian McArdle

The TLC-Direct.co.uk site has step down transformers of working ranges up
3000 Watts.

They've also got building site types cheaper, provided it doesn't matter
than neutral and earth are at different potentials and you don't mind BS3535
isolation.*

Christian.

* I didn't realise that transformers of that size could comply with BS3535.
Does that mean you could use them in a bathroom?

Andy Hall

On 24 May 2004 08:20:21 -0700, (Stix) wrote:

Hi - I have a retro 60's american blender I'd like to use in the UK.
It lists on the back the following electrical info :

115 V
25-60 Cycle
5.2 Amps (!!)
575 Watts

I'm guessing I can't just use a plug converter (too much load) and if
I use a transformer it will be bigger than the blender..?

Are there any other options - anyone know a company that will convert
- re-wire etc ?

Rgds

Have a look at
www.tlc-direct.co.uk

SX6992 would do the job

However, a site transformer, SD TR750/1 would as well, is isolated and
it doesn't matter if it gets a bit wet in the kitchen. Half the
price as well, if not a thing of beauty. You may like bright yellow
of course......

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl
Andy Hall

On Mon, 24 May 2004 17:12:33 +0100, "Christian McArdle"
wrote:

The TLC-Direct.co.uk site has step down transformers of working ranges up

3000 Watts.

They've also got building site types cheaper, provided it doesn't matter
than neutral and earth are at different potentials and you don't mind BS3535
isolation.*

Christian.

* I didn't realise that transformers of that size could comply with BS3535.
Does that mean you could use them in a bathroom?

What would you do with a food mixer in the bath though?

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl
Dave Plowman

In article ,
Stix wrote:
Hi - I have a retro 60's american blender I'd like to use in the UK.
It lists on the back the following electrical info :

115 V
25-60 Cycle
5.2 Amps (!!)
575 Watts

I'm guessing I can't just use a plug converter (too much load) and if
I use a transformer it will be bigger than the blender..?

You'd probably get away with a 500Va one, but yes, it will be large.

--
*Confession is good for the soul, but bad for your career.

Dave Plowman London SW 12
RIP Acorn
Christian McArdle

However, a site transformer, SD TR750/1 would as well, is isolated and
it doesn't matter if it gets a bit wet in the kitchen.

That's the one I was looking at. If buying one, I'd be tempted to buy a 3kVA
tucked away in a spare cupboard. You could then run a couple of 110V US
style sockets around the house to a 110V industrial plug. Your US visitors
will love you, and you can always borrow the transformer every time you hire
something 110V from the hire shop and want to save yourself a couple of
quid. Alternatively you can start buying proper 110V tools yourself.

Christian.

Dave Plowman

In article ,
Christian McArdle wrote:
Alternatively you can start buying proper 110V tools yourself.

Given that most prefer cordless stuff anyway regardless of the performance
disadvantage, I'd say the idea of having to lug round a heavy transformer
as well is a total no-no.

--
*A hangover is the wrath of grapes.

Dave Plowman London SW 12
RIP Acorn

Andy Hall

On Mon, 24 May 2004 18:31:02 +0100, Dave Plowman
wrote:

In article ,
Christian McArdle wrote:
Alternatively you can start buying proper 110V tools yourself.

Given that most prefer cordless stuff anyway regardless of the performance
disadvantage, I'd say the idea of having to lug round a heavy transformer
as well is a total no-no.

I have quite a few 110v tools ranging from chargers for cordless
tool batteries up to a table saw.

I've put a 110v transformer in the workshop and wired to a set of
EN60309-1 yellow outlets.

Then I have a site transformer that gets taken to where it's needed -
I don't find it that big a deal....

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl
Lurch

On Mon, 24 May 2004 17:21:40 +0100, Andy Hall strung
together this:

What would you do with a food mixer in the bath though?

Erm, mix food maybe?
--

SJW
A.C.S. Ltd
N. Thornton

(Stix) wrote in message . com...
Hi - I have a retro 60's american blender I'd like to use in the UK.
It lists on the back the following electrical info :

115 V
25-60 Cycle
5.2 Amps (!!)
575 Watts

I'm guessing I can't just use a plug converter (too much load) and if
I use a transformer it will be bigger than the blender..?

Are there any other options - anyone know a company that will convert
- re-wire etc ?

Rgds

A few helpful points.

Your options a
1. use a 110v transformer
2. have the motor rewound so it runs on 240v

Beware, there are apparently some US devices where the voltage on the
neutral ends up on the chassis due to some strange practice thats
illegal here. This can prove dangerous when used with a 240-110
transformer. So I'd want to check the appliance to ensure this isnt a
problem in this case.

Finally you'd only need a 575 watt continuous rated TF if you plan to
run the blender continuously. If youre only going to run it for say 6
minutes per hour, you can use a TF rated to produce 575w for 6 mins
per hour intermittent use. This will be a fraction of the size and
price - just ensure it has a self resetting overheat cutout.

FWLIW there is a small cheap compact way to do it involving series
running with a halogen bulb, but I wouldnt recommend it unless you
understand the implications of the differing run powers, ie start
current, rated load current, offload current and stall current, and
ditto for the halogen bulb(s), ie cold R vs hot R and so on. If you
get it wrong things can fry.

Regards, NT
Capitol

Christian McArdle wrote in message

That's the one I was looking at. If buying one, I'd be tempted to buy a

3kVA
tucked away in a spare cupboard. You could then run a couple of 110V US
style sockets around the house to a 110V industrial plug. Your US visitors
will love you, and you can always borrow the transformer every time you

hire
something 110V from the hire shop and want to save yourself a couple of
quid. Alternatively you can start buying proper 110V tools yourself.

If you are going to do this remember two points.

1) These units are often noisy - hum.
2) The transformers are built down to a price and have very high losses from
magnetising currents. The running costs for a unit on all the time and
unused are quite high.

I've a couple used in this manner, but they are only connected when
necessary, for the above reasons.

Regards
Capitol