MarkMc

Default Setting up old coal shed for brewing?

I have an old coal shed outside my house, which I refurbishe=ADd
recently
- roof rotten and collapsed, rotten doors etc.

Now I'm thinking I could use it as a brewery, and permanentl=ADy fit up
some water supply and drainage - the garden hose pipe supply=AD is
attached to the building, and a drain is directly outside to=ADo, which
leads in to the sewer main.

There's even an electrical supply, but I'll upgrade that to =AD6mm right

back to the consumer unit to handle the amperage required to=AD run
2x2.4kw elements for the boiler.

My biggest concern is that of steam/extraction from boiling 50-60 L
fluid for over an hour with a 4.8kW boiler, causing lack of
visibility/steaming up, hot water driping off=AD the
ceiling and walls, encouragement of rot/mould, and possi=ADbly electic
shock?

The building is approx. 2.5m x 1.5m x 2m (lxwxh) - that's ab=ADout 8' x
5' x 6'.

I was wondering if I could fit a bathroom extractor fan (or
=ADtwo?)above
the boiler, which then runs along the joists (flat roof), an=ADd
outside.

Would something like that work?

Another concern is that of electrics - will the steam cause =ADproblems?

Should I fit only (IIRC IP65) waterproof outdoor sockets?

Would flourescent strip lights be ok in a steamy environment?

rot and mould, I intend to to put a plasterboard ceiling=AD up, and
plaster/paint the walls, so hopefully, some bathroom paint s=ADhould be
ok?=20

Cheers,=20
Mark

Grunff

MarkMc wrote:

I was wondering if I could fit a bathroom extractor fan (or
*two?)above
the boiler, which then runs along the joists (flat roof), an*d
outside.

Would something like that work?

You'd be much better off with a cooker hood - preferably a
high-efficiency, twin fan model. Like this:
http://www.theappliancepeople.co.uk/ap/_46_Elica_60CSTBL.html

Another concern is that of electrics - will the steam cause *problems?

I'd concentrate on extracting as much of the steam as possible - the
electrics would suffer, but so would everything else. If you manage to
extract sufficiently, you should be able to use normal fittings.

Would flourescent strip lights be ok in a steamy environment?

No, they wouldn't be fine.

rot and mould, I intend to to put a plasterboard ceiling* up, and
plaster/paint the walls, so hopefully, some bathroom paint s*hould be
ok?

Ditto - get as much steam out of there as you can.

--
Grunff
MarkMc

Will the hood be ok with the extreme dampness? I suppose they are
designed for steam....
Any suggestion for lights in that environment?

Regards,
Mark

Grunff

MarkMc wrote:
Will the hood be ok with the extreme dampness? I suppose they are
designed for steam....

I'd have thought so - ours gets a pretty good steaming when we're cooking.

Any suggestion for lights in that environment?

If I were doing this, I'd concentrate on keeping the humidity at a
reasonable level (lots of extraction), and use normal fittings everywhere.

--
Grunff

My biggest concern is that of steam/extraction from boiling 50-60 L
fluid for over an hour with a 4.8kW boiler, causing lack of

visibility/steaming up, hot water driping offthe
ceiling and walls, encouragement of rot/mould, and possiblyelectic
shock?

What are you donig that would cause this, distillation? You need to
pipe the steam output straight outside so theres no problem in the
first place.

NT

Dave

wrote in message
oups.com...
My biggest concern is that of steam/extraction from boiling 50-60 L
fluid for over an hour with a 4.8kW boiler, causing lack of

visibility/steaming up, hot water driping offthe
ceiling and walls, encouragement of rot/mould, and possiblyelectic
shock?

What are you donig that would cause this, distillation?

No! Part of the brewing is to get the malt from the mash and this involves
getting water hot and spreading it across the barley (if my memory is
correct) I could be mistaking this for the process of making my other
favourite tipple, whisky :-)
Long time since I have done this (well over 30 years)

As a great lover of micro brewery's beers, will yours be available in any
pubs :-))

I hope
I hope :-)

Dave

Andy R

"MarkMc" wrote in message
oups.com...

I have an old coal shed outside my house, which I refurbishe*d
recently
- roof rotten and collapsed, rotten doors etc.

Now I'm thinking I could use it as a brewery, and permanentl*y fit up
some water supply and drainage - the garden hose pipe supply* is
attached to the building.

Make sure the hose pipe doesn't taint the water. I once used a black garden
hose to fill the water tank in my camper and the water tasted disgusting but
other pipes have been OK. I'd hate to think of a brew being spoilt by dodgy
water.

Rgds

Andy R

MarkMc

The water supply is direct from mains in to copper pipe, so should be
ok. I'll just have to make sure I flush it through to get rid of the
flux etc before using it.

It's not distillation, but brewing ale/beer. The extraction isn't so
much required for the mash/sparge, but for the boil. When brewing, I
have to boil 10 gallons on a full rolling boil for over an hour with
the lid off - a *lot* of steam!

It is probably every all-grain (as opposed to kits and extracts) home
brewers dream to have their beer sold in a pub or supermarket - it is
mine anyway. You never know!

Cheers,
Mark

It's not distillation, but brewing ale/beer. The extractionisn't so
much required for the mash/sparge, but for the boil. When brewing, I
have to boil 10 gallons on a full rolling boil for over an hour with

the lid off - a *lot* of steam!

So whats the problem with just leaving the door open for an hour? What
am I missing? No - best not answer that

Standard flourescent lights are not meant for use in semi-wet
environments, but the reality they have been used in such frequently,
and they seem to survive well anyway. I imagine the hot choke and tube
ends keep the condensation off the key parts. I'm not recommending it,
its not consistent with modern regs.

NT

Andrew Sinclair

In message .com,
MarkMc writes

It's not distillation, but brewing ale/beer. The extraction isn't so
much required for the mash/sparge, but for the boil. When brewing, I
have to boil 10 gallons on a full rolling boil for over an hour with
the lid off - a *lot* of steam!

Why not go the whole hog, see here...

http://slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=0...642234&tid=222

Cheers (hic!),

Andy
--
Andrew Sinclair http://www.smellycat.org

MarkMc

You won't believe this, but I'm develping my own PC hook-up/datalogging
and temperature control circuit too - I'm really getting carried away
with this hobby!

I wonder if I'm best to fit bathroom 12v/lv lighting in to the ceiling
for safety?

Cheers,
Mark

Storage Shed Anchoring? Jeff Morris Home Repair 10 July 6th 04 01:26 PM
Shed Electrics Paul UK diy 15 May 22nd 04 12:48 PM
Managing the fire? Tomas Wilhelmsson Metalworking 10 February 12th 04 08:36 PM
shed electrics Matt Pearson UK diy 7 January 20th 04 09:32 PM
On the subject of a garden shed Andrew McKay UK diy 3 August 27th 03 04:31 PM