Junior Member

Question Old furniture

Hello,
I'm actually a new home owner, so many things are still new to me. My parents have left to me alot of their old furniture. The problem is i have no room or need for any of these items (old wardrobes, large cabinets, rusty bookcases, etc).

The problem is i have no idea how to get rid of them. Do i leave them out for the rubbish collection? or am i supposed to hire a skip? Not sure if anyone would want to buy the furniture either. They are old and musty. Could anyone give me any tips please?

Thank you!
-Pete
brugnospamsia

"hopeless_pete" wrote in message

Hello,
I'm actually a new home owner, so many things are still new to me. My
parents have left to me alot of their old furniture. The problem is i
have no room or need for any of these items (old wardrobes, large
cabinets, rusty bookcases, etc).

The problem is i have no idea how to get rid of them. Do i leave them
out for the rubbish collection? or am i supposed to hire a skip? Not
sure if anyone would want to buy the furniture either. They are old and
musty. Could anyone give me any tips please?

Here in Bristol. the council will collect 3 items for free, we have a re-use
charity and the local recycling centre (amenity site) is another option if
you are happy to break it down into seperate types of material ....

Jeremy

nightjar

"hopeless_pete" wrote in message

Hello,
I'm actually a new home owner, so many things are still new to me. My
parents have left to me alot of their old furniture. The problem is i
have no room or need for any of these items (old wardrobes, large
cabinets, rusty bookcases, etc).

The problem is i have no idea how to get rid of them. Do i leave them
out for the rubbish collection? or am i supposed to hire a skip? Not
sure if anyone would want to buy the furniture either. They are old and
musty. Could anyone give me any tips please?

The Salvation Army, and several other charities, will take many furniture
items to sell in their shops. It does depend on condition though. You can
sometimes get the dustmen to take them away, for a suitable gratuity.
Otherwise, it is cart them down the tip or get a skip.

Colin Bignell

The problem is i
have no room or need for any of these items (old wardrobes, large
cabinets, rusty bookcases, etc).

fireplace
bust and bin bag

turn into loft flooring if you have none.

NT

The Natural Philosopher

hopeless_pete wrote:

Hello,
I'm actually a new home owner, so many things are still new to me. My
parents have left to me alot of their old furniture. The problem is i
have no room or need for any of these items (old wardrobes, large
cabinets, rusty bookcases, etc).

The problem is i have no idea how to get rid of them. Do i leave them
out for the rubbish collection? or am i supposed to hire a skip? Not
sure if anyone would want to buy the furniture either. They are old and
musty. Could anyone give me any tips please?

Take photos and se if your local auction house will give estimates on value.

If value exceeds cost of van to get them there, do that.

Otherwise chaisaw, hammer and a skip is the cheapest. or take to local
tip (in the van you hired to get the decent vbits to auction) and dump em.

Just done the same exercise - more or less broke even - usinfg
combiantion of skip, van to auction, van to dump, and ebay.

Thank you!
-Pete

John

"hopeless_pete" wrote in message

Hello,
I'm actually a new home owner, so many things are still new to me. My
parents have left to me alot of their old furniture. The problem is i
have no room or need for any of these items (old wardrobes, large
cabinets, rusty bookcases, etc).

The problem is i have no idea how to get rid of them. Do i leave them
out for the rubbish collection? or am i supposed to hire a skip? Not
sure if anyone would want to buy the furniture either. They are old and
musty. Could anyone give me any tips please?

Thank you!
-Pete

If you've still got them try these, they are very grateful for all
donations. There should be someone in your area.

http://www.frn.org.uk/

HTH

John

John

"hopeless_pete" wrote in message

Hello,
I'm actually a new home owner, so many things are still new to me. My
parents have left to me alot of their old furniture. The problem is i
have no room or need for any of these items (old wardrobes, large
cabinets, rusty bookcases, etc).

The problem is i have no idea how to get rid of them. Do i leave them
out for the rubbish collection? or am i supposed to hire a skip? Not
sure if anyone would want to buy the furniture either. They are old and
musty. Could anyone give me any tips please?

Thank you!
-Pete

If you've still got them try these, they are very grateful for all
donations. There should be someone in your area.

http://www.frn.org.uk/

HTH

John

Sorry if this appears twice, doesn't seem to have gone the first time!

John