Dave Plowman (News)

Default OT - 32" widescreen TV.

I'm in the market for one. CRT type. Best pic, but internal speakers and
amps won't be used, so doesn't need surround etc. 3 SCARTS + would be
useful.

Last Which I saw reckoned the Loewe was better than the Philips, although
I've had Philips up until now. Don't like Sony colour.

--
*I'm not your type. I'm not inflatable.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Jim Easterbrook

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in
:

I'm in the market for one. CRT type. Best pic, but internal speakers

and
amps won't be used, so doesn't need surround etc. 3 SCARTS + would be
useful.

Funnily enough, this is just what I'm looking for, with two more
criteria: no 100Hz or other picture mangling, and no shiny cabinet.

Only candidate I've found is the JVC 32T4B, but most dealers only seem to
have the silver version (32T4S).
http://www.jvc.co.uk/product.php?id=AV-32T4B
--
Jim Easterbrook http://www.jim-easterbrook.me.uk/
Peter Scott

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message
I'm in the market for one. CRT type. Best pic, but internal speakers and
amps won't be used, so doesn't need surround etc. 3 SCARTS + would be
useful.

Last Which I saw reckoned the Loewe was better than the Philips, although
I've had Philips up until now. Don't like Sony colour.

I've had a Thomson 32" for two years. Very pleased and I think
that this brand is usually cheaper than most.

Peter Scott

Grunff

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
I'm in the market for one. CRT type. Best pic, but internal speakers and
amps won't be used, so doesn't need surround etc. 3 SCARTS + would be
useful.

Last Which I saw reckoned the Loewe was better than the Philips, although
I've had Philips up until now. Don't like Sony colour.

We were looking for the same thing ~2.5 years ago, and after a lot of
comparing decided that the Sony gave the best picture overall. Out of
interest, what don't you like about Sony colour?

We ended up with a 32" Wega, which we've been most pleased with. The
internal speakers are frankly awful, but they aren't used, so I don't
really care.

--
Grunff

bill

im selling some 32'' TVs on ebay if your interested

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...sPageName=WDVW

Philip Stokes

In message , John Mce
writes
Definitely a pansonic, have three of them, great sets, far superior to
anything else for the money

I had a Panny. Never again. Bought it to replace a much older Panny that
I'd had for many years. Inept aspect ratio switching, black line down
the picture approx 2/3 rds of the way across the screen. Onboard
software repeatedly crashing. Onboard timer only worked intermittently.

Panasonic customer service, when they eventually responded, said they
all do that! They were right, in as much as I eventually found a user
group of people suffering the same problems with the same telly!

Eventually due to consumer pressure they broadcast an OTA update, which
fried one of the boards in the sets, requiring its replacement. But they
didn't have any boards available, so a lot of people were without a
working TV for several weeks. Luckily just before that happened I had
managed to get my retailer to take back my excuse for a TV and replace
it with a Sony.

Best thing about the Sony is that it actually works exactly as it says
it should in the manual. On the one occasion when I contacted Sony (a
change in the way C4 were broadcasting interrupted the AR switching on
the set) I got a prompt reply saying they would look into it, and an
update that fixed the problem was broadcast within a month.

I've been very pleased with mine.
Mathew J. Newton

Philip Stokes wrote:
In message , John Mce
writes
[...]

Is that OTA as in 'Over The Air'...?

Philip Stokes

In message .com,
Mathew J. Newton writes

Is that OTA as in 'Over The Air'...?

Yes.
Mathew J. Newton

Philip Stokes wrote:
In message .com,
Mathew J. Newton writes

Is that OTA as in 'Over The Air'...?

Yes.

I guess I should've been more specific...

How does that work? I was aware of cable boxes etc being 'upgradable'
in this way (given that the cable companies run the network) but
'conventional' TVs also? Who/what does the broadcasting of the update?
Cheers,

Mathew

Bob Eager

On Tue, 1 Feb 2005 10:41:55 UTC, "Mathew J. Newton"
wrote:

Philip Stokes wrote:
In message .com,
Mathew J. Newton writes

Is that OTA as in 'Over The Air'...?

Yes.

I guess I should've been more specific...

How does that work? I was aware of cable boxes etc being 'upgradable'
in this way (given that the cable companies run the network) but
'conventional' TVs also? Who/what does the broadcasting of the update?

Dunno but it happens with my Freeview box too.

--
Bob Eager
begin a new life...dump Windows!
Philip Stokes

In message . com,
Mathew J. Newton writes

Philip Stokes wrote:
In message .com,
Mathew J. Newton writes

Is that OTA as in 'Over The Air'...?

Yes.

I guess I should've been more specific...

How does that work? I was aware of cable boxes etc being 'upgradable'
in this way (given that the cable companies run the network) but
'conventional' TVs also? Who/what does the broadcasting of the update?

The Digital Television Group broadcast the updates via the Engineering
Channel on DTT Mux A (BBC multiplex). If by 'conventional' TV you mean
analogue only, then they aren't upgradeable OTA, as the updates can only
be received by sets with digital tuners, or digital set-top boxes.

See http://www.dtg.org.uk/retailer/download_schedule.pl

Phil
Mathew J. Newton

Philip Stokes wrote:
In message . com,
Mathew J. Newton writes

Philip Stokes wrote:
[...]

Ah.. thanks for that. I tried Googling for further info but didn't turn
up much.

Mathew

Andy Wade

Jim Easterbrook wrote:

Funnily enough, this is just what I'm looking for, with two more
criteria: no 100Hz or other picture mangling, and no shiny cabinet.

Add to specification: no analogue tuner; no PAL, teletext or NICAM
decoders; accepts RGB i/p on all SCARTs. Just a damn good monitor
really, and bring back matt black cabinets.

Only candidate I've found is the JVC 32T4B, but most dealers only seem to
have the silver version (32T4S).
http://www.jvc.co.uk/product.php?id=AV-32T4B

Interesting, that does RGB in on 2 SCARTs, which is one more than the
usual number. Any idea how the 'Auto VNR' works?

--
Andy

This is uk.d-i-y - go fetch the masking tape & "chassis black" out of
the garagae :-)

Steven Briggs

In message , Andy Wade
writes
Jim Easterbrook wrote:

Funnily enough, this is just what I'm looking for, with two more
criteria: no 100Hz or other picture mangling, and no shiny cabinet.

Add to specification: no analogue tuner; no PAL, teletext or NICAM
decoders; accepts RGB i/p on all SCARTs. Just a damn good monitor
really, and bring back matt black cabinets.

Indeed. Having got my current telly (Panasonic 28" WS) towards the end
of the last black phase, I want something bigger, but am waiting till
cabinets go back to black again. Most of the people I've discussed this
with would also prefer black TV cabinets, but hens teeth are more common
at the moment.

In built surround sound (in sense of TV including amps for rear speakers
with prologic decoder) seems to have gone out of fashion too. Seems you
have to have yet another box to do DTS sound. And no doubt another
remote control. As if I hadn't got enough of the damn things already.

--
steve
Dave Plowman (News)

In article ,
Steven Briggs wrote:
In built surround sound (in sense of TV including amps for rear speakers
with prologic decoder) seems to have gone out of fashion too. Seems you
have to have yet another box to do DTS sound. And no doubt another
remote control. As if I hadn't got enough of the damn things already.

I'd prefer to keep the sound as separate as possible. Much of it would be
duplicated if you already have a decent sound system, and sound thingies
don't go out of fashion as fast as TV thingies.

--
*Out of my mind. Back in five minutes.