Colin Wilson

Default gas / pressure drop when CH fires up

I have a gas pipe that runs from the meter under the stairs - across the
kitchen, before heading up to the first floor where the boiler is sited
above the opposite wall (it was only fitted recently).

From this pipe at the point at which it enters the kitchen, there is a T
which supplies the gas cooker and then on to a gas fire - these have been
in since the house was built in the 30`s.

I think the pipework is 22mm or larger across the kitchen, but i`m not
sure what the feed to the cooker / fire is (I think its smaller but its
buried in a concrete floor).

When the CH fires up, there is an audible difference in the noise of the
burner on the cooker, which I assume is caused by a drop in pressure.

Should I be noticing any drop ?

Ta

Bad ascii follows :-}

M (meter)
| fire
| |
| |
| |
|------------cooker------------|

o (heads to the boiler directly above)

BigWallop

"Colin Wilson" wrote in message
t...
I have a gas pipe that runs from the meter under the stairs - across the
kitchen, before heading up to the first floor where the boiler is sited
above the opposite wall (it was only fitted recently).

From this pipe at the point at which it enters the kitchen, there is a T
which supplies the gas cooker and then on to a gas fire - these have been
in since the house was built in the 30`s.

I think the pipework is 22mm or larger across the kitchen, but i`m not
sure what the feed to the cooker / fire is (I think its smaller but its
buried in a concrete floor).

When the CH fires up, there is an audible difference in the noise of the
burner on the cooker, which I assume is caused by a drop in pressure.

Should I be noticing any drop ?

Ta

snipped bad ascii art :-))

You will notice a slight fluctuation on the appliances, but it shouldn't be so
noticeable that it causes the appliance to be hugely less efficient. So if the
burner on the stove is actually being really affected, then have the system
checked out by the supply company.

---
http://www.basecuritysystems.no-ip.com

Colin Wilson

You will notice a slight fluctuation on the appliances, but it shouldn't be so
noticeable that it causes the appliance to be hugely less efficient. So if the
burner on the stove is actually being really affected, then have the system
checked out by the supply company.

What flagged it up to me was the smallest burner is sometimes hard to
light, and I think its the drop in pressure causing the problem...

BigWallop

"Colin Wilson" wrote in message
t...
You will notice a slight fluctuation on the appliances, but it shouldn't be

so
noticeable that it causes the appliance to be hugely less efficient. So if

the
burner on the stove is actually being really affected, then have the system
checked out by the supply company.

What flagged it up to me was the smallest burner is sometimes hard to
light, and I think its the drop in pressure causing the problem...

Then have it checked out by your supply company to be sure. If it's causing
problems now, you sure don't want them in the middle of winter.

---
http://www.basecuritysystems.no-ip.com

Andy Hall

On Sat, 22 May 2004 00:10:20 +0100, Colin Wilson
wrote:

I have a gas pipe that runs from the meter under the stairs - across the
kitchen, before heading up to the first floor where the boiler is sited
above the opposite wall (it was only fitted recently).

From this pipe at the point at which it enters the kitchen, there is a T
which supplies the gas cooker and then on to a gas fire - these have been
in since the house was built in the 30`s.

I think the pipework is 22mm or larger across the kitchen, but i`m not
sure what the feed to the cooker / fire is (I think its smaller but its
buried in a concrete floor).

When the CH fires up, there is an audible difference in the noise of the
burner on the cooker, which I assume is caused by a drop in pressure.

Should I be noticing any drop ?

You shouldn't notice a difference really.

The spec is that there should not be more than 1mB of pressure drop as
measured from the meter and then at each appliance with everything
running. Typically it should be 21mB at the meter test point and 20mB
at the test point of each appliance before the regulator.

http://www.cda.org.uk/megab2/build/p...0Tube%20Sizing

gives a bit of background on this.

It is possible that the regulator/governor on the meter is going
faulty. This can happen and mean that it is not maintaining pressure
at the meter end either.

All of this needs to be tested using a manometer or digital pressure
meter to determine what is going on.

For most boilers, unless very large, or the piperun very long, if the
entire run from the meter to the boiler is in 22mm, it should
adequately supply it plus a hob teed off from it.

You can also do a rough theoretical calculation using the info. in the
link above. You willl need to look at the appliance rating
information, work out gas volume and refer to the design guide if you
want to do this.

My money would be on either there not being a problem at all and the
hob is actually OK, pipework inadequate from meter to tee or faulty
meter governor......

In any event it should be checked.

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

BigWallop

wrote:

I have a gas pipe that runs from the meter under the stairs - across the
kitchen, before heading up to the first floor where the boiler is sited
above the opposite wall (it was only fitted recently).

From this pipe at the point at which it enters the kitchen, there is a T
which supplies the gas cooker and then on to a gas fire - these have been
in since the house was built in the 30`s.

I think the pipework is 22mm or larger across the kitchen, but i`m not
sure what the feed to the cooker / fire is (I think its smaller but its
buried in a concrete floor).

When the CH fires up, there is an audible difference in the noise of the
burner on the cooker, which I assume is caused by a drop in pressure.

Should I be noticing any drop ?

You shouldn't notice a difference really.

The spec is that there should not be more than 1mB of pressure drop as
measured from the meter and then at each appliance with everything
running. Typically it should be 21mB at the meter test point and 20mB
at the test point of each appliance before the regulator.

http://www.cda.org.uk/megab2/build/p...0Tube%20Sizing

gives a bit of background on this.

Now that's a very handy site to have in the favourites folder.

Thanks Andy.

---
http://www.basecuritysystems.no-ip.com

Andy Hall

On Sat, 22 May 2004 00:35:52 GMT, "BigWallop"
wrote:

"Andy Hall" wrote in message
.. .

..

http://www.cda.org.uk/megab2/build/p...0Tube%20Sizing

gives a bit of background on this.

Now that's a very handy site to have in the favourites folder.

Thanks Andy.

There's a bunch of them linked from this page which also deal with how
to size pipes in other applciations

http://www.cda.org.uk/megab2/build/copperin.htm

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl
Colin Wilson

What flagged it up to me was the smallest burner is sometimes hard to
light, and I think its the drop in pressure causing the problem...

Thanks for the replies chaps... i`ll see how it gets on - the problem
lighting might have been something daft like the top of the burner not
being correctly aligned - there`s no "key" on the burner assembly to
align to on the cooker we`ve got, just a slightly raised (0.5mm) ridge
so i`ll keep an eye on it.

Andy Hall

On Sat, 22 May 2004 09:33:58 +0100, Colin Wilson
wrote:

What flagged it up to me was the smallest burner is sometimes hard to
light, and I think its the drop in pressure causing the problem...

Thanks for the replies chaps... i`ll see how it gets on - the problem
lighting might have been something daft like the top of the burner not
being correctly aligned - there`s no "key" on the burner assembly to
align to on the cooker we`ve got, just a slightly raised (0.5mm) ridge
so i`ll keep an eye on it.

Be very careful here.

Does the hob have a flame failure device?

If not, you have the risk that a burner on a low simmer setting could
go out when the boiler fires up, leading perhaps to your rapid exit
through one of the windows surrounded by the remainder of your house.

I don't want to be melodramatic, but this should be checked.

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl
Colin Wilson

Be very careful here.
Does the hob have a flame failure device?

Not sure about the hob, but i`m pretty certain the oven does

If not, you have the risk that a burner on a low simmer setting could
go out when the boiler fires up, leading perhaps to your rapid exit
through one of the windows surrounded by the remainder of your house.
I don't want to be melodramatic, but this should be checked.

I know what you`re saying... once lit the audible pitch changes but it
stays on quite happily.

tarquinlinbin

wrote:

I have a gas pipe that runs from the meter under the stairs - across the
kitchen, before heading up to the first floor where the boiler is sited
above the opposite wall (it was only fitted recently).

you need to ensure that your supply pressure is within spec. A simple
call to Transco on 0800111999 will bring a man round to measure the
working pressure. Report it as poor pressure. There are a number of
issue with supply and you need to eliminate these first. The service
pipe could be blocked/rusted up,the regulator could be faulty,the
meter could be faulty..
joe
IMM

"Colin Wilson" wrote in message
t...
I have a gas pipe that runs from the meter under the stairs - across the
kitchen, before heading up to the first floor where the boiler is sited
above the opposite wall (it was only fitted recently).

From this pipe at the point at which it enters the kitchen, there is a T
which supplies the gas cooker and then on to a gas fire - these have been
in since the house was built in the 30`s.

I think the pipework is 22mm or larger across the kitchen, but i`m not
sure what the feed to the cooker / fire is (I think its smaller but its
buried in a concrete floor).

When the CH fires up, there is an audible difference in the noise of the
burner on the cooker, which I assume is caused by a drop in pressure.

Should I be noticing any drop ?

Take the fire and cooker supply directly back to the meter.

IMM

"Colin Wilson" wrote in message
t...
You will notice a slight fluctuation on the appliances, but it shouldn't

be so
noticeable that it causes the appliance to be hugely less efficient. So

if the
burner on the stove is actually being really affected, then have the

system
checked out by the supply company.

What flagged it up to me was the smallest burner is sometimes hard to
light, and I think its the drop in pressure causing the problem...

If it was working OK, and now the pressure has dropped, contact Transco. It
could be the meter governor.