Andy Hall

Default gas / pressure drop when CH fires up

On Sat, 22 May 2004 00:10:20 +0100, Colin Wilson
wrote:

I have a gas pipe that runs from the meter under the stairs - across the
kitchen, before heading up to the first floor where the boiler is sited
above the opposite wall (it was only fitted recently).

From this pipe at the point at which it enters the kitchen, there is a T
which supplies the gas cooker and then on to a gas fire - these have been
in since the house was built in the 30`s.

I think the pipework is 22mm or larger across the kitchen, but i`m not
sure what the feed to the cooker / fire is (I think its smaller but its
buried in a concrete floor).

When the CH fires up, there is an audible difference in the noise of the
burner on the cooker, which I assume is caused by a drop in pressure.

Should I be noticing any drop ?

You shouldn't notice a difference really.

The spec is that there should not be more than 1mB of pressure drop as
measured from the meter and then at each appliance with everything
running. Typically it should be 21mB at the meter test point and 20mB
at the test point of each appliance before the regulator.

http://www.cda.org.uk/megab2/build/p...0Tube%20Sizing

gives a bit of background on this.

It is possible that the regulator/governor on the meter is going
faulty. This can happen and mean that it is not maintaining pressure
at the meter end either.

All of this needs to be tested using a manometer or digital pressure
meter to determine what is going on.

For most boilers, unless very large, or the piperun very long, if the
entire run from the meter to the boiler is in 22mm, it should
adequately supply it plus a hob teed off from it.

You can also do a rough theoretical calculation using the info. in the
link above. You willl need to look at the appliance rating
information, work out gas volume and refer to the design guide if you
want to do this.

My money would be on either there not being a problem at all and the
hob is actually OK, pipework inadequate from meter to tee or faulty
meter governor......

In any event it should be checked.

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl