Alex \(YMG\)

Default Cold cathode lamp?

Dear all,

I saw this in the Toolstation catalogue:

'GU10 Reflector Lamp Cold Cathode'

http://www.toolstation.com/search.ht...73555&Search=1

I remember previous posts on here suggested that the low energy GU10 lamps
available were pretty dire, as were the LED ones. Is thing exactly the same
technology, or is it likely to be any better? An American website seemed to
suggest these were somehow different to normal CFLs?

Thanks !

Alex

Ian Stirling

"Alex \(YMG\)" wrote:
Dear all,

I saw this in the Toolstation catalogue:

'GU10 Reflector Lamp Cold Cathode'

http://www.toolstation.com/search.ht...73555&Search=1

I remember previous posts on here suggested that the low energy GU10 lamps
available were pretty dire, as were the LED ones. Is thing exactly the same
technology, or is it likely to be any better? An American website seemed to
suggest these were somehow different to normal CFLs?

They are.
They have no heaters, and have a bit higher brightness per unit area, and
are a bit less efficient than larger tubes.
The second MAY mean that they have a better beam patten.

5W, well, it's probably equivalent to a 3W "conventional" fluorescant, so
maybe a 30W halogen?
I'd be interested if you buy one for you to give a report.

Compared with LED, these are going to emit much, much more light.
Ian Stirling

Ian Stirling wrote:
"Alex \(YMG\)" wrote:
[...]

I should have looked closer.
Looking at the enlarged image, rotated and zoomed.

Text on lamp.
ROBUS (r) CE
RCCQU5W 50ma
230V 50/60Hz 4000K
Not dimmable
Now, entering the model number into google gives nothing...
Looking for Robus takes me to http://www.led.ie/led/asp/section.asp?s=62
which has info on the company, looking on 'products' link reveals the
hopefull category 'lamps', but to no avail.
Can anyone do better?

Andrew Gabriel

In article ,
Ian Stirling writes:
"Alex \(YMG\)" wrote:
Dear all,

I saw this in the Toolstation catalogue:

'GU10 Reflector Lamp Cold Cathode'

http://www.toolstation.com/search.ht...73555&Search=1

I remember previous posts on here suggested that the low energy GU10 lamps
available were pretty dire, as were the LED ones. Is thing exactly the same
technology, or is it likely to be any better? An American website seemed to
suggest these were somehow different to normal CFLs?

They are.
They have no heaters, and have a bit higher brightness per unit area, and
are a bit less efficient than larger tubes.

If the tube is long and thin, this effect should be minimised.

The second MAY mean that they have a better beam patten.

5W, well, it's probably equivalent to a 3W "conventional" fluorescant, so
maybe a 30W halogen?

1:10 is extremely optimistic -- I'd go with 1:5 max giving
15W, but the use of a cold cathode tube might not be reducing
the equivalent light output by as much as your 5:3 ratio, so
it might be a bit better than this.

I'd be interested if you buy one for you to give a report.

Compared with LED, these are going to emit much, much more light.

It will be rather more of a flood lamp spread, verses extremely
narrow beam spot lamp for LED ones. A long tube could also mean
a long run-up time to full brightness. Indeed it could be very
much longer the first time it's used after having come out of
storage, to get the mercury diffused through the full length of
the tube.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Alex \(YMG\)

"Ian Stirling" wrote in message

I should have looked closer.
Looking at the enlarged image, rotated and zoomed.

Text on lamp.
ROBUS (r) CE
RCCQU5W 50ma
230V 50/60Hz 4000K
Not dimmable
Now, entering the model number into google gives nothing...
Looking for Robus takes me to http://www.led.ie/led/asp/section.asp?s=62
which has info on the company, looking on 'products' link reveals the
hopefull category 'lamps', but to no avail.
Can anyone do better?

Glad to know I wasn't the only one trying to read that RCCQU5W upside down
and a bit to the side ! I spent a while looking and didn't find much info on
them, one of my concerns is the 4000k colour temperature - but I guess at
least with Toolstation the bulb can be returned if it decides to self
destruct upon first operation!

I'll let you know if I get one (it would be to replace a 35w GU10 above my
front door, which is left on for 5+ hours a day - so could hopefully be
suitable).

Alex