TonyK

"Keith" wrote in message
1. The Screwfix/Wickes mini catalogue becomes a permanent fixture next to
the toilet
2. You spend hours in work using Word to sketch out the DIY job for that
weekend
3. You have 7 tins of WD-40 in convienent locations around the house
4. You buy things that you don't need but will look good in the toolbox
5. The DIY store staff know your first name
6. You know all of the different shades of white
7. After 6 months of light DIYing, you think installing central heating
is childsplay
8. You've got the tradesman's 'sucking in of air, shaking the head and
tutting' down to a tee
9. You have a tool belt
10. You know that rubbing a graphite pencil on a hinge will stop the
squeak
11. Sarah Beeny is your Pin-Up
12. The DIY book the in-laws got you for christmas remains unopened, do
they think you're a bloody amateur?!
13. You've got the plumber's, electrician's and builder's mobile numbers
in your phone in case of a DIY feck up.
14. You're suspicius of proper tradesmen
15. You have a trailer
16. You buy a router to save money on 'expensive' tongue and grooving
17. Use of the B&Q cafe is strictly prohibited, its for part-timers, not
hardcore DIYers like yourself
18. You think you don't need a spirit level. You do.
19. You have a large collection of wood in the shed, just in case.
20. You know what Denso tape is and what its used for
21. 'Discovery Home and Leisure' and 'H&L +1' are in your Sky favourites
22. Complete renovation of a cow shed doesn't faze you
23. You have a compost bin
24. Criticise professionals work in pubs and on holiday, calling them 'a
bunch of cowboys'
25. You have a tape measure in your car
26. On a two-man job, its always the other persons fault
27. You become a HSS Hire shop to all your mates
28. You stop to appreciate your handywork at least once a day
29. Your work is never done
30. You can unscrew a screw with a hammer.

(shamelessly stolen from another group)

1. - 30. Check... except for 13, I dont feck up ;-) and 12. my inlaws don't
/ won't buy me presents :-(

Do I get a badge for my tool belt?

nightjar

"Keith" wrote in message
1. The Screwfix/Wickes mini catalogue becomes a permanent fixture next to
the toilet

Do bookmarked on-line trade only catalogues count instead?

2. You spend hours in work using Word to sketch out the DIY job for that
weekend

Back of an envelope is more professional.

3. You have 7 tins of WD-40 in convienent locations around the house

Mainly because I keep forgetting where I put the last one

4. You buy things that you don't need but will look good in the toolbox

Do I get extra points for actually using everything in there, even the
unusual stuff?

5. The DIY store staff know your first name

They don't even see me. The blokes in the electrical wholesalers, plumbers'
merchants and builders' merchants do know me though.

6. You know all of the different shades of white

Only in fluorescent lighting tubes.

7. After 6 months of light DIYing, you think installing central heating
is childsplay

I think I put my first one in when I *was* a child.

8. You've got the tradesman's 'sucking in of air, shaking the head and
tutting' down to a tee

Only when there is an audience

9. You have a tool belt

That's what the side pockets in Army surplus trousers are for.

10. You know that rubbing a graphite pencil on a hinge will stop the
squeak

Even better, I know which part of the hinge to rub it on.

11. Sarah Beeny is your Pin-Up

Who? (See 21, I think)

12. The DIY book the in-laws got you for christmas remains unopened, do
they think you're a bloody amateur?!

Everyone who knows me has learned, from long experience, never to buy me
anything that looks like it may be something to do with anything I am
interested in.

13. You've got the plumber's, electrician's and builder's mobile numbers
in your phone in case of a DIY feck up.

Not necessary. I do a better job than they would anyway.

14. You're suspicius of proper tradesmen

Too true

15. You have a trailer

Do I get extra points for it being a 1400kg box van trailer that will take
whole 8ft x 4ft sheets?

16. You buy a router to save money on 'expensive' tongue and grooving

Invaluable tool that.

17. Use of the B&Q cafe is strictly prohibited, its for part-timers, not
hardcore DIYers like yourself

What is B&Q?

18. You think you don't need a spirit level. You do.

I have three, one short, one long and one laser on a tripod, just to check I
got things right by eye. I always have.

19. You have a large collection of wood in the shed, just in case.

In the spare bedroom actually. The shed is full.

20. You know what Denso tape is and what its used for

There are people who don't?

21. 'Discovery Home and Leisure' and 'H&L +1' are in your Sky favourites

Isn't that some form of television? Who gets time to watch television?

22. Complete renovation of a cow shed doesn't faze you

For use by people or by cows?

23. You have a compost bin

and a garden incinerator

24. Criticise professionals work in pubs and on holiday, calling them 'a
bunch of cowboys'

Pubs? Holidays?

25. You have a tape measure in your car

Probably, somewhere, among the other useful stuff

26. On a two-man job, its always the other persons fault

There are jobs that need two people?

27. You become a HSS Hire shop to all your mates

You have mates after giving them the benefit of your opinion on their DIY?

28. You stop to appreciate your handywork at least once a day

More like every day I notice that little bit that I didn't get quite right,
but which nobody else would even know was wrong.

29. Your work is never done

I think you mean finished

30. You can unscrew a screw with a hammer.

I usually put them in that way, so why not?

Colin Bignell

Mary Fisher

"Keith" wrote in message
[...]

But brilliant anyway.

Except - what is Sarah Beeny, Denso tapeand 'Discovery Home and Leisure' and
'H&L +1' ?

Mary

Frank Erskine

On Wed, 26 Jan 2005 20:30:31 -0000, "nightjar"
wrote:

"Keith" wrote in message

3. You have 7 tins of WD-40 in convienent locations around the house

Mainly because I keep forgetting where I put the last one

In my case I leave the tin of WD40 in the shed. The next time I need
to get into the shed the padlock's gone a bit rusty....

--
Frank Erskine

Mary Fisher

wrote:

"Keith" wrote in message

3. You have 7 tins of WD-40 in convienent locations around the house

Mainly because I keep forgetting where I put the last one

In my case I leave the tin of WD40 in the shed. The next time I need
to get into the shed the padlock's gone a bit rusty....

In theory we have a pair of scissors in every room.

Why does Einstein's theory work and ours doesn't?

Mary

--
Frank Erskine

Keith

"Mary Fisher" wrote in message
et...

(shamelessly stolen from another group)

But brilliant anyway.

Except - what is Sarah Beeny,

Mammary mass-enhanced DIY show presenter on: 'Discovery Home and Leisure'
(endlessly repeated DIY "how to" shows on satellite & cable) and
'H&L +1' ( endlessly repeated DIY shows, er, repeated an hour later)

Except - what is Denso tape?

Erm, .. Ah, ... I don't know!

Keith

StealthUK

Keith wrote:

3. You have 7 tins of WD-40 in convienent locations around the house

Yep, I also forget where they are so keep plenty.

9. You have a tool belt

Have two toolbelts in fact but always forget to use the bloody things.

12. The DIY book the in-laws got you for christmas remains unopened,

do
they think you're a bloody amateur?!

I still look in the Collins DIY manual today, I'm not ashamed.

13. You've got the plumber's, electrician's and builder's mobile

numbers
in your phone in case of a DIY feck up.

No chance

14. You're suspicius of proper tradesmen

Absolutely!

17. Use of the B&Q cafe is strictly prohibited, its for part-timers,

not
hardcore DIYers like yourself

I wouldn't touch it but I'm sure it's probably better than the minced
****e purporting to be a sausage in a stale bun the hardcore
DIY/Tradesman eat out of the mobile cafe outside.

18. You think you don't need a spirit level. You do.

I think DIY'ers use a level more often than tradesmen judging by the
work I've seen.

19. You have a large collection of wood in the shed, just in case.

And everytime you try to clear it out to make space you still can't let
it go - it'll come in handy one day!

21. 'Discovery Home and Leisure' and 'H&L +1' are in your Sky

favourites

Yep. Sad, I know.

25. You have a tape measure in your car

Yep

27. You become a HSS Hire shop to all your mates

Nope, not anymore. HSS get their tools back and on time, I rarely did.

nightjar

"Mary Fisher" wrote in message
et...
Except - what is Sarah Beeny, Denso tapeand 'Discovery Home and Leisure'
and 'H&L +1' ?

Denso tape is gungy stuff you wrap around copper pipe before burying it in
concrete or plaster.

Can't help with the others though.

Colin Bignell

Peter Ashby

wrote:

"Keith" wrote in message

3. You have 7 tins of WD-40 in convienent locations around the house

Mainly because I keep forgetting where I put the last one

In my case I leave the tin of WD40 in the shed. The next time I need
to get into the shed the padlock's gone a bit rusty....

Like the time the bloody couriers shut the garage door in such a way as
to jam it securely. And guess where the crowbar was? Now moved inside to
understair cupboard both on this and security reasons. I eventually
solved the jam by the judicious and carefull application of brute force
and much grunting*.

Peter
* I am convinced that human grunting has a lubricating effect.

Markus Splenius

wrote:

3. You have 7 tins of WD-40 in convienent locations around the house

Mainly because I keep forgetting where I put the last one

And the straw has always gone missing.

M.

Pecanfan

1. The Screwfix/Wickes mini catalogue becomes a permanent fixture next to
the toilet

snip

LOL

Of course, a real DIYer wouldn't admit to ANY of this being true. cough
a'hem... ;-)

Andy

in2minds

1. The Screwfix/Wickes mini catalogue becomes a permanent fixture
next to
the toilet

but the Collins "Complete DIY Manual" is the sign of an amateur (c;

LJ

Keith wrote:
1. The Screwfix/Wickes mini catalogue becomes a permanent fixture

next to

snip

30. You can unscrew a screw with a hammer.

(shamelessly stolen from another group)

31. You've done ten rounds against dIMM in the "Are combis
unconditionally the correct solution?" title fight.

MBQ

Mary Fisher

"Keith" wrote in message

But brilliant anyway.

Except - what is Sarah Beeny,

Mammary mass-enhanced DIY show presenter on: 'Discovery Home and Leisure'
(endlessly repeated DIY "how to" shows on satellite & cable) and
'H&L +1' ( endlessly repeated DIY shows, er, repeated an hour later)

You make me wish we had a television.

I tell lies.

Except - what is Denso tape?

Erm, .. Ah, ... I don't know!

I admire honesty though :-)

Mary

Keith

Mary Fisher

"nightjar .uk.com" nightjar@insert_my_surname_here wrote in message

Except - what is Sarah Beeny, Denso tape and 'Discovery Home and Leisure'
and 'H&L +1' ?

Denso tape is gungy stuff you wrap around copper pipe before burying it in
concrete or plaster.

Oh that stuff, thanks. I didn't know it had a name ... apart from 'that
gungy stuff ... ' etc.

Mary

Mary Fisher

"nightjar .uk.com" nightjar@insert_my_surname_here wrote in message

Except - what is Sarah Beeny, Denso tape and 'Discovery Home and
Leisure' and 'H&L +1' ?

Denso tape is gungy stuff you wrap around copper pipe before burying it
in concrete or plaster.

Oh that stuff, thanks. I didn't know it had a name ... apart from 'that
gungy stuff ... ' etc.

The answer of genuine expert.

If you live with 'em long enough ...

Mary
who only associates with the best

Colin Bignell

3. You have 7 tins of WD-40 in convienent locations around the house

What use is it for diy? Releasing oil is more for cars ime. I've never
got wd40 to release any diy thing, it makes a total mess out of wood,
and there are far quicker ways to release fixings than that, like
drilling or grinding.

10. You know that rubbing a graphite pencil on a hinge will stop the
squeak

Some are too stiff for anything to work though.

13. You've got the plumber's, electrician's and builder's mobile

numbers
in your phone in case of a DIY feck up.

No chance! A real diyer knows feckups happen and is equipped to deal
with them all if they do. Its just part of the job. And why do
onlookers get so overexcited about it?

14. You're suspicius of proper tradesmen

There are good ones, but far too many skill-free folk to trust unknown
people. Gawd you should see some of the plastering. Whoever did that
should have described themselves as artexers to avoid Trades
Descriptions Act problems.

18. You think you don't need a spirit level. You do.

I guess that list was more for those that treat it as a weekend hobby.
I wouldnt be buying supplies at BnQ or putting things up askew meself.

22. Complete renovation of a cow shed doesn't faze you

or a house maybe. There cant be many people left for whom the 2 are the
same thing nowadays, used to be.

27. You become a HSS Hire shop to all your mates

too many legal problems these days, with power tools anyway, and
ladders.

28. You stop to appreciate your handywork at least once a day

Not nearly so likely to admire a professional's work.

30. You can unscrew a screw with a hammer.

I'm wondering what way the OP was thinking there.

(shamelessly stolen from another group)

I think that concept features in some people's diy efforts as well.
Some folk are quite brazen about it too.

NT

Mary Fisher

wrote in message

22. Complete renovation of a cow shed doesn't faze you

or a house maybe. There cant be many people left for whom the 2 are the
same thing nowadays, used to be.

Odd, isn't it, that people would balk at sharing their house with large
animals who would save on heating as well as feeding them yet have 'pets'
such as dogs, cats, rats, mice, ferrets, birds of all kinds - all of which
need feeding and don't provide food ...

30. You can unscrew a screw with a hammer.

I'm wondering what way the OP was thinking there.

You're obviously not a true d-i-y-er.

Mary

30. You can unscrew a screw with a hammer.

I'm wondering what way the OP was thinking there.

You're obviously not a true d-i-y-er.

Heh, must be. I can think of 3 ways to do it, but none of them
satisfactory for very much.

1. hit the pointy end - trashes the wood and is unnecessarily hard
work.

2. Use the claws to lever it out - only works if head sticking up

3. Smash the whole thing apart, screw may the drop out. - sometimes
useful.

4. Smack the wood and hope it pops out - only useful for very loose
floorboards

In short, none of the above are that useful.

NT

Mary Fisher

wrote in message
oups.com...
30. You can unscrew a screw with a hammer.

I'm wondering what way the OP was thinking there.

You're obviously not a true d-i-y-er.

Heh, must be. I can think of 3 ways to do it, but none of them
satisfactory for very much.

1. hit the pointy end - trashes the wood and is unnecessarily hard
work.

2. Use the claws to lever it out - only works if head sticking up

3. Smash the whole thing apart, screw may the drop out. - sometimes
useful.

4. Smack the wood and hope it pops out - only useful for very loose
floorboards

In short, none of the above are that useful.

You said you could think of three ways to do it ...

Mary

NT

Pecanfan

30. You can unscrew a screw with a hammer.

snip
In short, none of the above are that useful.

I think the original post is making the assumption that the screw's head is
protruding, in which case you can sometimes get the claw onto the shaft of
the screw - turning the hammer will then loosen it.

Or I might be talking crap.

Andy

think the original post is making the assumption that the screw's
head is
protruding, in which case you can sometimes get the claw onto the

shaft of
the screw - turning the hammer will then loosen it.

Sounds good to me - but how often do you find scerws that werent driven
home?

NT

You said you could think of three ways to do it ...

And I did

NT

Mary Fisher

wrote in message
ups.com...
You said you could think of three ways to do it ...

And I did

I counted four ...

NT

What about a thread "how do you know that it is time you stopped
trying to DIY?"
1 When the family complains about banging heads (or tripping over) on
the pipework you have routed across a room
2 ?

I didn't type those hyphens

Peter Scott

wrote:

"Keith" wrote in message

3. You have 7 tins of WD-40 in convienent locations around the house

Mainly because I keep forgetting where I put the last one

In my case I leave the tin of WD40 in the shed. The next time I need
to get into the shed the padlock's gone a bit rusty....

In theory we have a pair of scissors in every room.

Why does Einstein's theory work and ours doesn't?

Mary

He sat about thinking about it for ten years (most of it at
work too!)

Peter Scott

Mary Fisher

"Peter Scott" wrote in message
news

3. You have 7 tins of WD-40 in convienent locations around the house

Mainly because I keep forgetting where I put the last one

In my case I leave the tin of WD40 in the shed. The next time I need
to get into the shed the padlock's gone a bit rusty....

In theory we have a pair of scissors in every room.

Why does Einstein's theory work and ours doesn't?

Mary

He sat about thinking about it for ten years (most of it at
work too!)

I see. So I should get a job and think about the
scissors-problem-in-every-room theory for ten years.

Hmm.

Tumpty tum ...

Perhaps I'll just buy another set. That usually means that the others are
found ...

Mary

Peter Scott

Roger

The message
from Andrew Chesters contains
these words:

Sounds good to me - but how often do you find scerws that werent driven
home?

NT

Seldom, but whatever was screwed on could have rotted away.

I haven't been paying much attention to this thread but I don't think
anyone has mentioned the easy way to get a screw out if you don't much
care about the damage. First line up the claw with the screwhead. Take a
second hammer and belt face of first hammer until claw is under head.
Extract as for nail.

--
Roger (the bodger)

You said you could think of three ways to do it ...

And I did

I counted four ...

so did I. Therefore I succeeded in thinking of 3 ways.

NT

Mary Fisher

"Roger" wrote in message
k...

Sounds good to me - but how often do you find scerws that werent driven
home?

NT

Seldom, but whatever was screwed on could have rotted away.

I haven't been paying much attention to this thread but I don't think
anyone has mentioned the easy way to get a screw out if you don't much
care about the damage. First line up the claw with the screwhead. Take a
second hammer and belt face of first hammer until claw is under head.
Extract as for nail.

Unless you've been over-enthusiastic and cut through the screw-head ... :-(

Then revert to Plan A.

Mary

--
Roger (the bodger)

Mary Fisher

wrote in message
oups.com...
You said you could think of three ways to do it ...

And I did

I counted four ...

so did I. Therefore I succeeded in thinking of 3 ways.

You certainly know how to confuse a poor white headed old lady ...

:-)

Mary

NT

Mary Fisher

"Peter Scott" wrote in message

Where do lost scissors go?

A planet similar to the one to which biros flee?

I once saw a calculation about needles and pins.
This sad character had found out the annual production of UK factories and
then wondered why we are not constantly falling over them.

I found a needle in the grden the other day. It was rusty so in a fit of
recklessness I put it in the dustbin. It had some black thread in it ...
perhaps I should fish it out ... a bit of WD40 and some fine emery paper ...

Mary

Peter Scott

Peter Scott

13. You've got the plumber's, electrician's and builder's mobile

numbers
in your phone in case of a DIY feck up.

No chance! A real diyer knows feckups happen and is equipped to deal
with them all if they do. Its just part of the job. And why do
onlookers get so overexcited about it?

Shh! You don't know who's reading this. I assumed that all DIYers kept quiet
about the fact that they sometimes (?) make mistakes, occasionally expensive
ones. After all we can can always bluff our way out to the loved ones as we
high-tail it to the merchants to replace the blown-up or wrong-sized.

I think that there is a new coming of age for the offspring of DIYers. My
youngest son has just had his trouser leg rolled up and the apron put on
(figuratively speaking). He is now so skilled that I told him the eternal
secret.
'If you can see that something needs doing I now trust you to do it. If you
muck it up don't worry, I DO IT TOO!.' (Sorry about caps but this is
earth shattering stuff! Now that is a real coming of age. Keep your bar
Mitvah, first hangover or hunting ritual. BTW I also told him about the
Easter Bunny and Father Christmas at the same time.

Peter Scott

Peter Scott

wrote in message
oups.com...
What about a thread "how do you know that it is time you stopped
trying to DIY?"
1 When the family complains about banging heads (or tripping over) on
the pipework you have routed across a room
2 ?

When you are wanting to move and haven't got time to complete all
of the part-done jobs?

Peter Scott