Frank Erskine

On Sun, 30 Jan 2005 10:59:38 -0000, "Peter Scott"
wrote:

Where do lost scissors go?

Not to mention Stanley knives. And steel tape measures.

--
Frank Erskine
Peter Scott

"Mary Fisher" wrote in message
et...

"Peter Scott" wrote in message

Where do lost scissors go?

A planet similar to the one to which biros flee?

I once saw a calculation about needles and pins.
This sad character had found out the annual production of UK factories

and
then wondered why we are not constantly falling over them.

I found a needle in the grden the other day. It was rusty so in a fit of
recklessness I put it in the dustbin. It had some black thread in it ...
perhaps I should fish it out ... a bit of WD40 and some fine emery paper

Mary

Peter Scott

I hope you meant recycle bin!

Peter Scott

Mary Fisher

"Peter Scott" wrote in message
news

"Mary Fisher" wrote in message
et...

"Peter Scott" wrote in message

Where do lost scissors go?

A planet similar to the one to which biros flee?

I once saw a calculation about needles and pins.
This sad character had found out the annual production of UK factories

and
then wondered why we are not constantly falling over them.

I found a needle in the grden the other day. It was rusty so in a fit of
recklessness I put it in the dustbin. It had some black thread in it ...
perhaps I should fish it out ... a bit of WD40 and some fine emery paper

Mary

Peter Scott

I hope you meant recycle bin!

No sharps allowed in ours :-(

Mary

Peter Scott

Mary Fisher

wrote:

Where do lost scissors go?

Not to mention Stanley knives. And steel tape measures.

All kinds of tape measures - including rulers.

Mary

--
Frank Erskine

Mary Fisher

"Peter Scott" wrote in message

13. You've got the plumber's, electrician's and builder's mobile

numbers
in your phone in case of a DIY feck up.

No chance! A real diyer knows feckups happen and is equipped to deal
with them all if they do. Its just part of the job. And why do
onlookers get so overexcited about it?

Shh! You don't know who's reading this. I assumed that all DIYers kept
quiet
about the fact that they sometimes (?) make mistakes, occasionally
expensive
ones. After all we can can always bluff our way out to the loved ones as
we
high-tail it to the merchants to replace the blown-up or wrong-sized.

I think that there is a new coming of age for the offspring of DIYers. My
youngest son has just had his trouser leg rolled up and the apron put on
(figuratively speaking). He is now so skilled that I told him the eternal
secret.
'If you can see that something needs doing I now trust you to do it. If
you
muck it up don't worry, I DO IT TOO!.' (Sorry about caps but this is
earth shattering stuff! Now that is a real coming of age. Keep your bar
Mitvah, first hangover or hunting ritual. BTW I also told him about the
Easter Bunny and Father Christmas at the same time.

Spouse couldn't wait for our sons' rites of passage. They were barely
walking when he handed them a spanner.

I'd have done the same with the girls except that it had to wait until I
found the scissors ...

Mary

Peter Scott

Peter Scott

"Mary Fisher" wrote in message
et...
Spouse couldn't wait for our sons' rites of passage. They were barely
walking when he handed them a spanner.

I'd have done the same with the girls except that it had to wait until I
found the scissors ...

Come to think of it same son always used to nick my tools, let alone give
them to him. From about age four he would always grab any things
that no longer worked and take them to bits. I knew he had the makings
when he could put them back together. However.... we did have our blowups
when he didn't bring the tools back. He got to recognise the pitch of bellow
from me when looking in my tool case and used to come scurrying. Perhaps
this is the way to protect the great DIY tradition? Like the Jesuits, get em
young?

Anyway for those not yet embarked on sibling training, it is worth the
effort
because if I leave a job long enough he sometimes does it, and often better
than me.

Peter Scott

Peter Scott

Anyway for those not yet embarked on sibling training, it is worth the
effort
because if I leave a job long enough he sometimes does it, and often

better
than me.

Didn't mean 'sibling' of course. Substitute brat or offspring!

Peter Scott

Mary Fisher

[...]

It's worked with ours. But the taking-apart syndrome can be almost
disastrous. The number of radios, clocks etc. which have been taken apart
then, in true d-i-y tradition, one little bit lost ... Spouse was never
amused, I kept a special oil for troubled waters. That particular son is
coming for dinner today with his brood for a substitute Christmas. His
present - a hammer drill. One of his sons left his garage window open and
some tools took flight. Come-uppance time :-)

Anyway for those not yet embarked on sibling training, it is worth the
effort
because if I leave a job long enough he sometimes does it, and often
better
than me.

It's even more useful the older you get. You can feign frailty and they leap
in to do it. You can tidy up the bits you don't like when they've gone :-)

Mary

Peter Scott

Andrew Chesters

Roger wrote:
The message
from Andrew Chesters contains
these words:

Sounds good to me - but how often do you find scerws that werent driven
home?

NT

Seldom, but whatever was screwed on could have rotted away.

I haven't been paying much attention to this thread but I don't think
anyone has mentioned the easy way to get a screw out if you don't much
care about the damage. First line up the claw with the screwhead. Take a
second hammer and belt face of first hammer until claw is under head.
Extract as for nail.

I hope you wear your safety goggles when you do that!! Hammer heads are
hardened to the extent that shattering would be a _very real possibility_.

Peter Scott

[...]

Male pride will not allow this I am afraid. However the 'Son you're a real
man
now. You kin do jest lark yer ole pappy.' That does

Peter Scott

Rob Nicholson

I know I'm going to regret this, but ... I still have the Stanley knife I
bought
some 30 years ago.

Me too although not that old. Must buy some new blades.

Rob Nicholson

Shh! You don't know who's reading this. I assumed that all DIYers kept
quiet
about the fact that they sometimes (?) make mistakes, occasionally
expensive

I made the classic comedy mistake/event of climbing back down the ladder and
putting my foot in a bucket of cold water.

Harvey Van Sickle

On 30 Jan 2005, Rob Nicholson wrote

Shh! You don't know who's reading this. I assumed that all DIYers
kept quiet about the fact that they sometimes (?) make mistakes,
occasionally expensive

I made the classic comedy mistake/event of climbing back down the
ladder and putting my foot in a bucket of cold water.

I'm getting better at avoiding this one, but my repeating mistake
-- annoying, not expensive -- is wiring something up before realising
I've not strung the cover/cap/whatever on the cable.

Done that *way* too many times.

--
Cheers,
Harvey
Rob Nicholson

Done that *way* too many times.

Did it once with a 25 way serial connector years ago and never since!

Harvey Van Sickle

On 30 Jan 2005, Rob Nicholson wrote

Done that *way* too many times.

Did it once with a 25 way serial connector years ago and never
since!

Maybe if I'd done that, it would've sunk in.

(I last did it a few weeks ago making up a coax cable; simple enough
to correct, but still reelie stoopid.)

--
Cheers,
Harvey
Lurch

On Sun, 30 Jan 2005 19:57:20 GMT, "Mark" strung
together this:

Im still using a Wolf elec drill from c1950, excellent plaster mixer.

My mate uses one of those as a core drill. Not reconnended for working
at the top of a ladder!
--

SJW
Andrew Chesters

Huge wrote:
"Rob Nicholson" writes:

Shh! You don't know who's reading this. I assumed that all DIYers kept
quiet
about the fact that they sometimes (?) make mistakes, occasionally
expensive

I made the classic comedy mistake/event of climbing back down the ladder and
putting my foot in a bucket of cold water.

Have you ever dipped the paintbrush in the cup of coffee?

That's marginally better than drinking from the paint-pot. Not that my
DIY has ever got that bad.

Andrew

Andrew Gabriel

In article ,
"Mark" writes:
Huge typed:

"Bob Eager" writes:
On Sun, 30 Jan 2005 12:54:12 UTC,
(Huge) wrote:

Not to mention Stanley knives. And steel tape measures.

I know I'm going to regret this, but ... I still have the Stanley
knife I bought some 30 years ago.

One of the good old ones, I guess. Mine is only 25 years old...but I
have the Stanley hand drill I bought 40 years ago...I think it is the
only tool that has survived that long!

I still have a Stanley pump-action screwdriver of the same vintage.

Ouch Yankee screwdrivers need a safety warning as Huge as a chainsaw.
Im still using a Wolf elec drill from c1950, excellent plaster mixer.

My father still has his 1950's B&D drill. Sometime around 1960,
it was treated to a new set of windings courtesy of the electricity
board, when they changed the mains voltage from 200V to 240V in
Reading. They over-stamped the voltage plate, so you can see it
has been changed.

I think my Stanley knife is about 30 years old. Also, one of the
best screwdrivers I've ever had is now 35 years old. It is a
Meccano screwdriver which came with the chiming clock kit. It
has a very comfortable handle (used to say Meccano on it, but it's
almost completely rubbed off), and seems to be a nice quality
steal tip. I have reground it twice now, once after a slight
accident shorting out the ring circuit which blow the tip off,
and again after general wear, and it came up very nicely each
time.

I also still have the Meccano clock although it's in need of a
few replacement parts. ;-)

--
Andrew Gabriel
Andrew Gabriel

In article ,
Andrew Chesters writes:
Huge wrote:
"Rob Nicholson" writes:

I made the classic comedy mistake/event of climbing back down the ladder and
putting my foot in a bucket of cold water.

I've done that more than once whilst plastering, so it's the
bucket with the plaster slop in the bottom, and usually gets
tipped over in the process...

Have you ever dipped the paintbrush in the cup of coffee?

That's marginally better than drinking from the paint-pot. Not that my
DIY has ever got that bad.

Had a school friend who was in to developing his own photos with
a dark room at home. In the dark, he knocked over a jar of fixer
(or one of the other chemicals, not sure I ever knew quite which).
Anyway, when he'd got the lights back on and finished clearing up
the spillage, he finished off his mug of tea. Only after he
swallowed it did he realise it tasted off -- some of the chemical
had spilt into it. He was ill for about a year after that before
eventually recovering and returning to school.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Mary Fisher

"Peter Scott" wrote in message

It's even more useful the older you get. You can feign frailty and they

leap
in to do it. You can tidy up the bits you don't like when they've gone
:-)

Mary

Male pride will not allow this I am afraid. However the 'Son you're a real
man
now. You kin do jest lark yer ole pappy.' That does

Tell you what, I've just waved off No1 grandson. He knows even more than
his father, our son. I can get him to do anything I want!

Mary

Peter Scott

Mary Fisher

"Andrew Gabriel" wrote in message

Had a school friend who was in to developing his own photos with
a dark room at home. In the dark, he knocked over a jar of fixer
(or one of the other chemicals, not sure I ever knew quite which).
Anyway, when he'd got the lights back on and finished clearing up
the spillage, he finished off his mug of tea. Only after he
swallowed it did he realise it tasted off -- some of the chemical
had spilt into it. He was ill for about a year after that before
eventually recovering and returning to school.

That reminds me of Letters From a Lost Uncle (Mervyn Peake) in which the
hero relates that on his first day at school he drank so much ink that he
was too ill to go again until the time he left.

Mary

--
Andrew Gabriel

Owain

"Lurch" wrote
| Have you ever dipped the paintbrush in the cup of coffee?
| I've poured orange juice on my corn flakes and milk in the
| glass before, does that count?

I once confused the little sachets in a fast-food restaurant. Salty tea is
not nice, but the chips were okay :-)

Owain

Andrew Gabriel

In article ,
"Owain" writes:
"Lurch" wrote
| Have you ever dipped the paintbrush in the cup of coffee?
| I've poured orange juice on my corn flakes and milk in the
| glass before, does that count?

I once confused the little sachets in a fast-food restaurant. Salty tea is
not nice, but the chips were okay :-)

That reminds me -- one of my grandmothers baking a cake when
staying with my parents. Suddenly noticed she had just carefully
measured out 1/2 lb of dishwasher detergent (fortunately before
it went into the mixing bowl)...

--
Andrew Gabriel

Just as well nobody else seemed to be aware of the dangers, else my
hobby may have been curtailed.

The old sodium metabisulphite fixer doesn't seem to be particularly
dangerous if swallowed, so perhaps he knocked back some developer.

Doing a google brings up some interesting stuff in relation =ADto some
toxic developers.

Didnt take long to realise you can do anything if you dont tell the
grown ups. We mucked about with blueprinting, which is a cyanide based
process. At least the developer is only tap water.

http://216.239.59.104/search?q=3Dcac...edu/~mollusk/=
ChemArt/photo/cyanotype.html+blueprint+cyanide&hl=3Den
NT

Mary Fisher

"Owain" wrote in message
t...
"Lurch" wrote
| Have you ever dipped the paintbrush in the cup of coffee?
| I've poured orange juice on my corn flakes and milk in the
| glass before, does that count?

I once confused the little sachets in a fast-food restaurant. Salty tea is
not nice, but the chips were okay :-)

Sounds as though you're older than I thought ... :-)

Mary

Owain

S Viemeister

Paul Mc Cann wrote:

My mother once complained that one of the crisps in her bag was very
salty.

Turned out she had eaten the little blue twist of salt.

Now, who remembers them ?

I do.
Last year I bought a packet of chips (Walker's, but subtitled SmITh's)
which contained a little blue plasticy packet of salt.
The twists were much easier to open.

Sheila

Mary Fisher

My mother once complained that one of the crisps in her bag was very
salty.

Turned out she had eaten the little blue twist of salt.

Now, who remembers them ?

MEMEME!

er -what do you mean, remember them? You can still buy crisps, I've seen the
empty bags blowing around in the street ...

Mary
--
Paul Mc Cann

raden

In message , Paul Mc Cann
writes
In article ,
says...

My mother once complained that one of the crisps in her bag was very
salty.

Turned out she had eaten the little blue twist of salt.

Now, who remembers them ?

Oh yes - 4d a packet

--
geoff

John

"S Viemeister" wrote in message
Paul Mc Cann wrote:

My mother once complained that one of the crisps in her bag was very
salty.

Turned out she had eaten the little blue twist of salt.

Now, who remembers them ?

I do.
Last year I bought a packet of chips (Walker's, but subtitled SmITh's)
which contained a little blue plasticy packet of salt.
The twists were much easier to open.

Yes but the salt was nearly always damp in the packets from our village shop
when I were a lad

Brian Sharrock

"raden" wrote in message
In message , Paul Mc Cann
writes
In article ,
says...

My mother once complained that one of the crisps in her bag was very
salty.

Turned out she had eaten the little blue twist of salt.

Now, who remembers them ?

Oh yes - 4d a packet

Do you remember the vans that carried the
packets of crisps in tin cube boxes?
Long before the advent of motorways when
even 'major' highways were narrow and
overtaking was a 'takes-yer-chance' operation;
the Smith's Crisps vans had writing at the
top rear offside which IIRC stated;-
"We wish to extend the
Courtesy of the Road
if you wish to overtake
please sound your horn"

Those were the days ... courtesy and twisted
blue wrapped salt!

--

Brian

Mary Fisher

"http://tinyurl.com/7y8y4" wrote in message

Bar of Cowans toffee was 3d, chocolate version was 4d

Never heard of that. I just about remember Five Boys chocolate. What a
great name, and the heads of 5 boys on the packet. They knew more about
marketing then.

So why is Mars still sold and 5 boys not?

Mary
who doesn't like Mars by the way