Peter Ashby

Default front door warping/sticking problem

i4x wrote:

Our front door (much glass in wooden frame) has always been a problem in
Winter as it sticks in the frame somewhere at the bottom. I've tried
re-hanging it and planeing (too) much off the bottom but it's never
enough. If I carry on like this we'll be able to walk out through the gap
:-) I don't think the door is dropping on the hinges - more like the wood
is warping or the frame contracting - or something! Soap is good temporary
fix but a new door and frame is the real answer I suppose - but we can't
manage that just now. Any suggestions as how I can do something to improve
this would be much appreciated.

The way to find out exactly where it is binding is to hold a piece of
sandpaper with the rough side facing the door in position and closing
it. This will tell you if it is binding at the lower side instead of the
bottom. Keeping the paper there and shutting the door repeatedly will
also alleviate the problem temporarily.

BTW when you planed the door did you reseal the cut edges? If you didn't
then it would contribute to your problem. Finishes don't prevent
movement but they do slow down moisture loss and gain, sometimes quite
considerably. Leaving the edge unfinished will allow moisture unfettered
access.

Peter
andrewpreece

"i4x" wrote in message
Our front door (much glass in wooden frame) has always been a problem in

Winter
as it sticks in the frame somewhere at the bottom. I've tried re-hanging

it and
planeing (too) much off the bottom but it's never enough. If I carry on

like
this we'll be able to walk out through the gap :-) I don't think the door

is
dropping on the hinges - more like the wood is warping or the frame

contracting
- or something! Soap is good temporary fix but a new door and frame is the

real
answer I suppose - but we can't manage that just now. Any suggestions as

how I
can do something to improve this would be much appreciated.

Either your house is moving, or your door is absorbing moisture. Since it
happens in winter, I guess that fingers the moisture theory. Plane your door
so it fits and then paint it gloss on every surface, including the
underside. This ought to stop any more moisture ingress.

Andy.

Pete C

On Thu, 27 Jan 2005 19:01:17 -0000, "andrewpreece"
wrote:

Either your house is moving, or your door is absorbing moisture. Since it
happens in winter, I guess that fingers the moisture theory. Plane your door
so it fits and then paint it gloss on every surface, including the
underside. This ought to stop any more moisture ingress.

Hi,

Epoxy would be less likely to rub off, and some graphite added will
make it more slippery.

Also check the distance between the top edge of the door opposite the
hinge and a point on the wall behind the hinge to tell if the frame is
bowing seasonally.

cheers,
Pete.
Keith Oliver

I've used a candle before to good effect. Rub well onto the affected edges.
The wax stays there longer than other lubricants and stops the edges
binding.

Keith