Jerry G.

Default Problem with Fender LTB power amplifier

You would be best off to give the amp to a service centre that is used to
doing this type of work. The caps have to be ESR tested under both heated
and cooled conditions. This can also apply to many of the other types of
components as well.

You would be best off to have someone experience with the proper tools and
set-up to do this type of work. The investment may be worth it for a descent
amp.

There are also some safety issues when not properly trained and trying to
service your own electronics equipment.

--

Jerry G. GLG Technologies GLG
==========================

"Zaboomafoo" wrote in message
om...
Hello,

I've purchased a Fender LTB power amp with speakers from eBay. it is
an 80W solid state mono amp that I was planning to use with my drum
module.

There is a problem with it. First I noticed that there is slight hum
and "clicking" noise, even when nothing is plugged into the amp. It
sounds similar to the noise that a dirty potentiometer would make,
except I am not touching the pot. I tried cleaning all the pots and it
didn't seem to help.

That was one problem, that I could live with. However there is a
bigger one.

When I turn the amp on, everything seems to be ok for about 10-15min.
Sound is nice and clean at all volume levels. And then sound fades and
becomes distorted. Sometimes the problem goeas away after couple of
minutes, usually not. It seems to go away if I turn the amp off and
back on (most of the times).

I tried plgging it into another amp, over the monitor output. Sound is
always clear on the other amp, even during the times when this problem
is happening. Based on that it seems to me that problem is not in the
pre-amp, altough my knowledge here is very limited.

From what I read in the other posts, it could be that capacitors have
to be replaced. I could do something like that, with my limited
knowledge.

I would like to keep this amp if I can fix it for the reasonable
price, otherwise I will return it back to the seller (they agreed on
that).

Please help. Sorry for the long post.

Frank