Herminio Gonzalez

Default Electric power consumption measuring device

Hello,

I run a number of computers at home, and was wondering how much
electricity each one consumes. Is there some kind of device that can be
attached between the PC and the wall outlet to measure power
consumption?

Kind regards,
Herminio Gonzalez

T i m

On 26 Jan 2005 06:32:13 -0800, "Herminio Gonzalez"
wrote:

Hello,

I run a number of computers at home, and was wondering how much
electricity each one consumes.

About (finger in air) 200-500W (depending on the CPU spec, number of
drives and monitor type) ;-)

Is there some kind of device that can be
attached between the PC and the wall outlet to measure power
consumption?

Maplin do one ..

http://tinyurl.com/3l6hm

All the best ..

T i m
Aniseed

Thank you T i m, that's just what I was looking for!

Set Square

wrote:

Hello,

I run a number of computers at home, and was wondering how much
electricity each one consumes.

About (finger in air) 200-500W (depending on the CPU spec, number of
drives and monitor type) ;-)

Is there some kind of device that can be
attached between the PC and the wall outlet to measure power
consumption?

Maplin do one ..

http://tinyurl.com/3l6hm

All the best ..

T i m

And if you buy it in the next couple of days, it's half price!
--
Cheers,
Set Square

logized

"Herminio Gonzalez" wrote in message
oups.com...
Hello,

I run a number of computers at home, and was wondering how much
electricity each one consumes. Is there some kind of device that can be
attached between the PC and the wall outlet to measure power
consumption?

Kind regards,
Herminio Gonzalez

Cheap power consumption meters are occasionally available for around £5 from
supermarkets such as Lidl or Aldi and also on ebay.
As a guide to consumption, a typical PC with an Athlon 2100 cpu, single HD,
average graphics card takes about 75W when idle, rising to about 140W with
full CPU load.
You need to add-on the consumption of your monitor,this may be available
from the manual or label on the monitor itself.
Older PCs with 300-400Mhz (AMD K6) cpu can use on average about 50W.
As the CPU power consumption is an important factor - it may be interesting
to read this CPU power consumption comparison -

Dave

Ian Stirling

Aniseed wrote:
Thank you T i m, that's just what I was looking for!

It's likely to be significantly (double the real reading) inaccurate,
the one I got from maplin is.
It works fine on simple loads like motors/heaters.

In practice, you can look up all the figures on websites.
2-300W is unlikely.

I measured my server (12 drives spinning, 1.3G duron) at around 150W.
Aniseed

Sure, its possible to look up what one's CPU consumes, but there are
several hardware and software components drawing power, and it quickly
becomes difficult to know how much is really being consumed.

I'm particularly interested in the consumption of a lighlty equipped
PentiumPro machine which is on all the time, no monitor. It is
passively cooled, and the heatsink feels quite cool to the touch, so i
am hoping it is below the 50W mark.

I also have a P4 1.8GHz machine with 2 HDDs and a 21" CRT, I'm curious
to find out how much it really consumes, and how it compares to the
value from manufacturer's specs.

Herminio

Aniseed

That's discouraging. So according to your post, there's an error of a
FACTOR OF 2? How could one know what the real power consumption is...
Maybe I can calibrate it somehow, using devices with known power
consumptions. But I can't think of any such devices...

Ian Stirling

Aniseed wrote:
That's discouraging. So according to your post, there's an error of a
FACTOR OF 2? How could one know what the real power consumption is...
Maybe I can calibrate it somehow, using devices with known power
consumptions. But I can't think of any such devices...

Unfortunately not.
The meters (the cheap ones, the maplin and Lidl 6.99 ones) work out the
current by measuring the voltage/current several times per cycle.
Unfortunately, the lowest cost is got by reducing 'several' as much as
possible.

For things like heaters, or motors, you can almost trivially get a pretty
good reading of power and power-factor (amount current is leading or
lagging voltage) with just 3 or 4 samples per cycle.

This is because the current they draw is a nice sine wave.
Many PC (and other switched-mode PSUs) unfortunately have significant
very fast variations in current.
So, the meter misses these changes, and assumes that the power supply is
drawing a higher current than it should.

It's basically a similar problem to trying to join up the dots.
If you've got lots of dots, then you can make a nice smooth curve, without
worrying about the shape of the curve you make being different from the
intended one.
As you reduce the number of dots, eventually you get to a stage when
you're guessing.

More expensive meters should do better, unfortunately, determining how much
goes into the electronics is hard.
Ian Stirling

Aniseed wrote:
Sure, its possible to look up what one's CPU consumes, but there are
several hardware and software components drawing power, and it quickly
becomes difficult to know how much is really being consumed.

I'm particularly interested in the consumption of a lighlty equipped
PentiumPro machine which is on all the time, no monitor. It is
passively cooled, and the heatsink feels quite cool to the touch, so i
am hoping it is below the 50W mark.

I happen to know this one!

I for about a year, I ran 3 Pentium Pro 166 (overclocked to 240Mhz)
motherboards, 3 hard disk drives, 3 ethernet cards on one 145W power supply.

I measured each motherboards DC usage as around 40W, with the CPU going
flat out. (mp3 encoding)

None of them ever crashed in about 3 years total run-time (adding up all
the motherboard times)

Andrew Gabriel

In article ,
Ian Stirling writes:
Aniseed wrote:
That's discouraging. So according to your post, there's an error of a
FACTOR OF 2? How could one know what the real power consumption is...
Maybe I can calibrate it somehow, using devices with known power
consumptions. But I can't think of any such devices...

Unfortunately not.
The meters (the cheap ones, the maplin and Lidl 6.99 ones) work out the
current by measuring the voltage/current several times per cycle.
Unfortunately, the lowest cost is got by reducing 'several' as much as
possible.

I bought one of the current Maplin ones, and I think that might
not be too bad. I'm having trouble getting my proper true power
meter back from someone I've lent it to (my boss;-), so I haven't
been able to do a real check on the Maplin one.

I bought one of the older ones Maplin stocked a few years ago,
and that's hopeless on non-resistive loads (out by a factor of
3 on SMPSU's -- too high, which is a puzzling way for it to be
in error).

It's basically a similar problem to trying to join up the dots.
If you've got lots of dots, then you can make a nice smooth curve, without
worrying about the shape of the curve you make being different from the
intended one.
As you reduce the number of dots, eventually you get to a stage when
you're guessing.

More expensive meters should do better, unfortunately, determining how much
goes into the electronics is hard.

My proper true power meter actually uses an analogue multiplier
and integrator, so it has more than enough dots so there's no need
to guess how the line goes between them ;-)

--
Andrew Gabriel
logized

"Aniseed" wrote in message
oups.com...
Sure, its possible to look up what one's CPU consumes, but there are
several hardware and software components drawing power, and it quickly
becomes difficult to know how much is really being consumed.

I'm particularly interested in the consumption of a lighlty equipped
PentiumPro machine which is on all the time, no monitor. It is
passively cooled, and the heatsink feels quite cool to the touch, so i
am hoping it is below the 50W mark.

I also have a P4 1.8GHz machine with 2 HDDs and a 21" CRT, I'm curious
to find out how much it really consumes, and how it compares to the
value from manufacturer's specs.

Herminio

I have measured the consumption of an old machine fitted with a 400Mhz amd
cpu at between 40-60W and a Cyrix "300" machine at 38W - these machines have
large heatsinks with a very slow fan (at 5v) and don't produce much heat.
Your cpu may take more power - maybe as much as a Duron 800-900Mhz - so may
be worth checking further - see
http://www.geek.com/procspec/intel/pentiump.htm

For the best power efficiency - consider getting a Via EPIA board (various
built-in cpu options 500-1000Mhz).

I suspect the 21" CRT uses a lot of power too.

Dave

Ian Stirling

Andrew Gabriel wrote:
In article ,
Ian Stirling writes:
Aniseed wrote:
That's discouraging. So according to your post, there's an error of a
FACTOR OF 2? How could one know what the real power consumption is...
Maybe I can calibrate it somehow, using devices with known power
consumptions. But I can't think of any such devices...

Unfortunately not.
The meters (the cheap ones, the maplin and Lidl 6.99 ones) work out the
current by measuring the voltage/current several times per cycle.
Unfortunately, the lowest cost is got by reducing 'several' as much as
possible.

I bought one of the current Maplin ones, and I think that might
not be too bad. I'm having trouble getting my proper true power
meter back from someone I've lent it to (my boss;-), so I haven't
been able to do a real check on the Maplin one.

What's the name, I've forgotten the name of mine, IIRC began with
a b, and was german.

I bought one of the older ones Maplin stocked a few years ago,
and that's hopeless on non-resistive loads (out by a factor of
3 on SMPSU's -- too high, which is a puzzling way for it to be
in error).

If it does not sample fast enough, then it may well overestimate
current consumption.

It's basically a similar problem to trying to join up the dots.
If you've got lots of dots, then you can make a nice smooth curve, without
worrying about the shape of the curve you make being different from the
intended one.
As you reduce the number of dots, eventually you get to a stage when
you're guessing.

More expensive meters should do better, unfortunately, determining how much
goes into the electronics is hard.

My proper true power meter actually uses an analogue multiplier
and integrator, so it has more than enough dots so there's no need
to guess how the line goes between them ;-)

True.
It's hard to tell how much someone knows on usenet though.
Andrew Gabriel

In article ,
Ian Stirling writes:
Andrew Gabriel wrote:
I bought one of the current Maplin ones, and I think that might
not be too bad. I'm having trouble getting my proper true power
meter back from someone I've lent it to (my boss;-), so I haven't
been able to do a real check on the Maplin one.

What's the name, I've forgotten the name of mine, IIRC began with
a b, and was german.

Yes, that's the crap one which is way off -- I think the model was
PM230. The one Maplin stock now is a different make and I can't
remember what it is (nothing well known though, but it is Asian
not German).

I bought one of the older ones Maplin stocked a few years ago,
and that's hopeless on non-resistive loads (out by a factor of
3 on SMPSU's -- too high, which is a puzzling way for it to be
in error).

If it does not sample fast enough, then it may well overestimate
current consumption.

Yes, I guess if the spike width at the voltage peaks is small
compared with the sampling rate (hello Mr Nyquist;-) and the
sampling is somehow always catching it (prehaps due to synching
with the voltage waveform), then that would account for it.

--
Andrew Gabriel

Andrew Gabriel wrote:

I bought one of the older ones Maplin stocked a few years ago,
and that's hopeless on non-resistive loads (out by a factor of
3 on SMPSU's -- too high, which is a puzzling way for it to be
in error).

If it does not sample fast enough, then it may well overestimate
current consumption.

Yes, I guess if the spike width at the voltage peaks is small
compared with the sampling rate (hello Mr Nyquist;-) and the
sampling is somehow always catching it (prehaps due to synching
with the voltage waveform), then that would account for it.

Isn't it as much to with low power factor as anything. The
cheap/simple power meters simply measure average (and I mean average,
not RMS) voltage and current, then multiply the two together and apply
the right factor to convert to RMS and say the product is power. It
matters not one whit how fast your samples are if you do this, the
answer will always be wrong.

--
Chris Green

Mike Barnes

In uk.d-i-y, Ian Stirling wrote:
I'm fairly confident that most of these devices have a single channel
8 bit A/D (minimum current is typically 40mA = 13000mA/256), sampling at
400Hz or so. (or maybe 50Hz, with undersampling, I'm not sure.)

Add a 4 bit micro, and an LCD, and you've got a power meter.

A 0 power factor device can have a very spiky current draw.
My PC power supply draw looks like a sharks fin, with a very sharp rise, and
a slow decay to a fast fall.

Presumably if you measured total energy consumption over a long period,
things would even themselves out. But how long, I wonder? My Maplin
meter stops at 9999 kWh.

--
Mike Barnes
Ian Stirling

Mike Barnes wrote:
In uk.d-i-y, Ian Stirling wrote:
I'm fairly confident that most of these devices have a single channel
8 bit A/D (minimum current is typically 40mA = 13000mA/256), sampling at
400Hz or so. (or maybe 50Hz, with undersampling, I'm not sure.)

Add a 4 bit micro, and an LCD, and you've got a power meter.

A 0 power factor device can have a very spiky current draw.
My PC power supply draw looks like a sharks fin, with a very sharp rise, and
a slow decay to a fast fall.

Presumably if you measured total energy consumption over a long period,
things would even themselves out. But how long, I wonder? My Maplin
meter stops at 9999 kWh.

No, they don't.
It consistently reads high by the same amount for hours or days.

Mike Barnes wrote:
In uk.d-i-y, Ian Stirling wrote:
I'm fairly confident that most of these devices have a single channel
8 bit A/D (minimum current is typically 40mA = 13000mA/256), sampling at
400Hz or so. (or maybe 50Hz, with undersampling, I'm not sure.)

Add a 4 bit micro, and an LCD, and you've got a power meter.

A 0 power factor device can have a very spiky current draw.
My PC power supply draw looks like a sharks fin, with a very sharp rise, and
a slow decay to a fast fall.

Presumably if you measured total energy consumption over a long period,
things would even themselves out. But how long, I wonder? My Maplin
meter stops at 9999 kWh.

But *how* do you measure "total energy consumption over a long
period", that's the original problem! If the meter's view of
instantaneous power consumption says 1kW thenit's going to consume
(according to the meter) 9999kWh in 9999 hours (unless the
instantaneous reading changes of course).

--
Chris Green
Mike Barnes

In uk.d-i-y, wrote:
Mike Barnes wrote:
In uk.d-i-y, Ian Stirling wrote:
[...]

If the draw looks like a sharks fin, then the instantaneous reading
*will* vary won't it? Unless the sample times are synchronised to the
wave form.

Never mind. I'm quite happy to believe that the readings are unreliable
for PC power supplies etc.

--
Mike Barnes

Andrew Gabriel wrote:
In article ,
writes:
Andrew Gabriel wrote:

I bought one of the older ones Maplin stocked a few years ago,
and that's hopeless on non-resistive loads (out by a factor of
3 on SMPSU's -- too high, which is a puzzling way for it to be
in error).

If it does not sample fast enough, then it may well overestimate
current consumption.

Yes, I guess if the spike width at the voltage peaks is small
compared with the sampling rate (hello Mr Nyquist;-) and the
sampling is somehow always catching it (prehaps due to synching
with the voltage waveform), then that would account for it.

Isn't it as much to with low power factor as anything. The
cheap/simple power meters simply measure average (and I mean average,
not RMS) voltage and current, then multiply the two together and apply

If it did this, it would under estimate rather than 3 times
over estimating. That's why I said the form of the error was
puzzling.

No it wouldn't. It could have lots of amps flowing at 240 volts but
with (say) 10% power factor the Volts*Amps would be way more than the
power.

the right factor to convert to RMS and say the product is power. It
matters not one whit how fast your samples are if you do this, the
answer will always be wrong.

Yes, although if you don't sample fast enough to see the general
form of a rapidly changing value, you will get a completely
misleading impression (lookup Nyquist's Theorem).

I was thinking of 'averaging' as in a moving coil meter and rectifier,
that doesn't sample in the sense you mean at all, it genuinely
averages the current (or voltage).

--
Chris Green
Ian Stirling

Andrew Gabriel wrote:
snip
Averaging a SMPSU current pulse or failing to take into account
it only happens when mains voltage is around 340V would give
an under reading. I can't imagine what mistaken assumption
they've made which results in such a load 3 times over reading.

To quote from an earlier post I made on this.
"

A quick patch involving a 1.8 ohm resistor in the neutral lead and
resistive
dividers protected by zeners indicates that the current has a really
odd shape.

The couple of switchers I checked exhibited the expected short
half-sine
looking pulses at maximum voltage.
The power indicated by the meter was within 20% of my eyeballing the
scope.

On trying it on my PC, I found a rather odder shape sort of sharks-fin
like shape.
The current rises to a peak of 2.2A in .4ms, then decays over the next
couple
of milliseconds more or less linearly to 0.6A, then drops in 0.5ms to
0.

That's a total of 2.25Ams per half-cycle, at 320V, that's .721Ws per
half-cycle, or 72W when idle.

The meter however reads 138W.

And in suspend, it's around 30W, around 10W 'off'.

"

It may well be assuming that the current will be either a 'normal' sine
wave, with a power factor of whatever or a sharp chopped-sine pulse near the
wave peak.

This worked fine, until various regulations about harmonic content on power
supplies came in.
Then the PSU makers started working out the cheapest way to meet these
directives.
This ended up as very odd waveshapes.

As to why.
Well, let's assume that it samples at the peak of this pulse, 2.2A.

Let's try 2.2A * 2ms = 4.4mAs.
4.4mAs * 320V = 1.4J
* 100 cycles per second = 140J/s, or 140W.

Surprisingly this works quite well.

However, I suspect the real answer is that it's trying to make a nice smooth
wave out of it.
To get an accurate number, you're going to need to sample at better than
1Khz.

Alternatively, if it's sampling at 500Hz or so, and trying to assume that
the waveshapes may be symmetrical (be it intentionally, or through filters)
then it may get vastly misleading answers.

Especially as we're not talking about a 2000 quid scope that's had hundreds
of man-years spent on the design, and verifying it's correct, but maybe a few
hundred hours and checking on a few loads around the office.

Anyway, hypothesising on how it fails is kind of pointless, in the face of
the fact that it can't be repaired (practically)
Ian Stirling

Mike Barnes wrote:
In uk.d-i-y, wrote:
Mike Barnes wrote:
In uk.d-i-y, Ian Stirling wrote:
I'm fairly confident that most of these devices have a single channel
8 bit A/D (minimum current is typically 40mA = 13000mA/256), sampling at
400Hz or so. (or maybe 50Hz, with undersampling, I'm not sure.)

snip
If the draw looks like a sharks fin, then the instantaneous reading
*will* vary won't it? Unless the sample times are synchronised to the
wave form.

With my observations, it diddn't, but was consistent within a range of
voltages (about +-2%) and with a 1.8 ohm resistor wired into the mains lead.

Never mind. I'm quite happy to believe that the readings are unreliable
for PC power supplies etc.

Aniseed

"logized" wrote:

"Aniseed" wrote in message
roups.com...
[...]

Hi again,
Yesterday I recieved one of the Maplin Power meters in the post. It is made in
Taiwan, by Prodigit Elecronics Co Ltd. Its of reasonlably good quality build,
given the price.

I've tried it out on stuff around the house. After much bending over plugging
and unplugging things, I've acquired a list of results and a backache. If
anybody is curious, here is what I found out:

monospace font please
Appliance: Reading:
Kettle rated at 1800-2200W 1980W
Desklamp with 60W bulb 58W
PIII Dell Laptop 20W idle
PentiumPro 200MHz, 1HDD 40W idle
Athlon 1.4GHz, 1HDD 90W idle, 105W runing sims2
Pentium IV 1.8GHz, 2HDDs 75W idle, 100W running hl2
22" Iiyama CRT 5W standby, 70-100W on
Lower back Light throbbing
/monospace font please

I can see that the device has correctly measured the kettle and desklamp,
because the reading I get matches their power rating. However I don't know how
accurately it is measuring the various computers and the CRT monitor. I hope it
is accurate, because I was pleasantly surprised to see that the monitor
consumes about 75W when displaying my windows desktop, I thought it would be
higher.

However:
Ian Stirling wrote:
The meters (the cheap ones, the maplin and Lidl 6.99 ones) work out the
current by measuring the voltage/current several times per cycle.
Unfortunately, the lowest cost is got by reducing 'several' as much as
possible.

For things like heaters, or motors, you can almost trivially get a pretty
good reading of power and power-factor (amount current is leading or
lagging voltage) with just 3 or 4 samples per cycle.

This is because the current they draw is a nice sine wave.
Many PC (and other switched-mode PSUs) unfortunately have significant
very fast variations in current.
So, the meter misses these changes, and assumes that the power supply is
drawing a higher current than it should.

So it seems I can't trust the measurements from my device (yet).
Would anyone know where I can learn more about switched-mode PSUs?

Aniseed

Andy Wade

Aniseed wrote:

Yesterday I recieved one of the Maplin Power meters in the post. It is made in
Taiwan, by Prodigit Elecronics Co Ltd. Its of reasonlably good quality build,
given the price.

Yes, I've got one now, thanks to all the plugs (sorry) here. I think
it's absolutely fantastic value for money, compared to any professional
instrument (c.f. the price of RS stock no. 292-1274). I've not done any
detailed checks on it yet, but all the readings on stuff around the
house (like yours) seem about right. I've yet to try it though on any
SMPS loads with a high current crest factor and harmonic content though...

One clear limitation is a lack of resolution and the presence of offsets
at the low current end of the range. Mine tends to read 10 mA and 2 W
with no load connected, so the overall accuracy for powers under 10 W is
going to be pretty poor. There's a table of accuracy figures on the
instruction sheet, to which I'd suggest adding plus or minus 2 counts on
the LSD. If I find the time I'll experiment with adding an outboard
10:1 (or even 100:1) current transformer, which should dramatically
improve its performance at low power levels.

I've tried it out on stuff around the house. After much bending over plugging
and unplugging things, I've acquired a list of results and a backache. If
anybody is curious, here is what I found out:

monospace font please
Appliance: Reading:
Kettle rated at 1800-2200W 1980W
Desklamp with 60W bulb 58W
PIII Dell Laptop 20W idle
PentiumPro 200MHz, 1HDD 40W idle
Athlon 1.4GHz, 1HDD 90W idle, 105W runing sims2
Pentium IV 1.8GHz, 2HDDs 75W idle, 100W running hl2
22" Iiyama CRT 5W standby, 70-100W on

All those figures seem quite plausible, IMO[*].

Lower back Light throbbing

Display readability is not its strong point is it? But for £10.63 + VAT
you can't complain!

[*] Below, FYI, is a re-post of some figures I took a while ago and
posted here in Sept '03.

.. Power Current Earth
Equipment /W /A VA PF /uA
-------------------------------- ----- ------- ----- ---- -----
Old sys unit (P75) idle 30 0.185 44.4 0.68 30
Old sys unit (P75) CPU 100% 39 0.233 55.9 0.70 30
Iiyama 17in. CRT monitor 90 0.566 135.8 0.66 60

New sys unit (P4/2.8GHz) idle 100 0.505 121.2 0.83 30
New sys unit (P4/2.8GHz) CPU 100% 155 0.800 192.0 0.81 30
Dell 18 in. TFT monitor 42 0.268 64.3 0.65 40

PSU for computer speakers 4 0.048 11.5 0.35 -

HP LaserJet 4 printer (warm up) 790 3.300 792.0 1.00 140
HP LaserJet 4 printer (standby) 35 0.239 57.4 0.61 140

Notes
-----
Power measurements taken with a Feedback Instruments EW604 wattmeter.
Current figures are true RMS, taken with a Fluke 87.

VA figures are apparent power, calculated assuming Uo = 240 V (i.e. the
approximate actual supply voltage, rather than the nominal 230 V).

'PF' column is power factor (W / VA).

'Earth' column shows protective conductor current (in microamps) taken
on a Fluke 77 (mean responding). Note that the measured figures are far
less than is commonly assumed in threads about spurious RCD trips.

Figures for the monitors were with 'typical screens', not max.
brightness & contrast.

'CPU 100%' figures taken with the SETI at home client running.

--
Andy