logized

"Aniseed" wrote in message
oups.com...
Sure, its possible to look up what one's CPU consumes, but there are
several hardware and software components drawing power, and it quickly
becomes difficult to know how much is really being consumed.

I'm particularly interested in the consumption of a lighlty equipped
PentiumPro machine which is on all the time, no monitor. It is
passively cooled, and the heatsink feels quite cool to the touch, so i
am hoping it is below the 50W mark.

I also have a P4 1.8GHz machine with 2 HDDs and a 21" CRT, I'm curious
to find out how much it really consumes, and how it compares to the
value from manufacturer's specs.

Herminio

I have measured the consumption of an old machine fitted with a 400Mhz amd
cpu at between 40-60W and a Cyrix "300" machine at 38W - these machines have
large heatsinks with a very slow fan (at 5v) and don't produce much heat.
Your cpu may take more power - maybe as much as a Duron 800-900Mhz - so may
be worth checking further - see
http://www.geek.com/procspec/intel/pentiump.htm

For the best power efficiency - consider getting a Via EPIA board (various
built-in cpu options 500-1000Mhz).

I suspect the 21" CRT uses a lot of power too.

Dave