Darren Forward

Default 12v Low Volatge lights

Ikea sell some LV lights (4) which attach to a 80VA transformer. The wattage
of each light is 20w.

Its basically two pieces of insulated wire which are hung, between two fixed
objects e.g.: walls. The transformer attaches at one end feeding the four
lights in parallel.

My question

If the feed point is moved from the end, to the centre of the wires, so its
between lamps 2 and 3. Will the transformer cope, as I believe we now have
two parallel circuits.

Thanks
Darren

ARWadsworth

"Darren Forward" darren" dot "forward" dot "e7even" dot "com wrote in
message ...
Ikea sell some LV lights (4) which attach to a 80VA transformer. The

wattage
of each light is 20w.

Its basically two pieces of insulated wire which are hung, between two

fixed
objects e.g.: walls. The transformer attaches at one end feeding the four
lights in parallel.

My question

If the feed point is moved from the end, to the centre of the wires, so

its
between lamps 2 and 3. Will the transformer cope, as I believe we now have
two parallel circuits.

There should be no problem.

You could call it two parallel circuits, but really you still only have one
parallel circuit i.e. there is only one power source and the load has not
altered.

Adam

John Rumm

Darren Forward wrote:

My question

If the feed point is moved from the end, to the centre of the wires, so its
between lamps 2 and 3. Will the transformer cope, as I believe we now have
two parallel circuits.

Yes... the circuit is exactly the same as it was before - one circuit
with 4 lights in parallel.

--
Cheers,

John.

Andrew Chesters

Darren Forward wrote:
Ikea sell some LV lights (4) which attach to a 80VA transformer. The wattage
of each light is 20w.

Its basically two pieces of insulated wire which are hung, between two fixed
objects e.g.: walls. The transformer attaches at one end feeding the four
lights in parallel.

My question

If the feed point is moved from the end, to the centre of the wires, so its
between lamps 2 and 3. Will the transformer cope, as I believe we now have
two parallel circuits.

Thanks
Darren

No problem there, but if its the same as the one sold by Screwfix, the
holders are cr@p. I fitted a set last summer, and 3 holders have failed
already.
kmillar

Since the supply lines are common rail, it doesn't matter where you put
the transformer feeds. There are only 2 nodes in the circuit, no matter
how you wire it!