anon90210

Default Wrong light switch?

I have purchase some light switches, but instead of having 2 terminals
they have 3 (SW1, SW2, Common). It seems they are intended for places
that have 2 switches (ie. top and bottom of stairs).

Is there any way I can use these as normal switches, and if so which
way round would I wire them?

Also - when replacing plastic switches (where the earth is wired to
the wall casing) with metal switches, I assume that the earth should
be connected to the switch not the casing?
Christian McArdle

I have purchase some light switches, but instead of having 2 terminals
they have 3 (SW1, SW2, Common). It seems they are intended for places
that have 2 switches (ie. top and bottom of stairs).

Use Common and SW1.

Also - when replacing plastic switches (where the earth is wired to
the wall casing) with metal switches, I assume that the earth should
be connected to the switch not the casing?

You should wire to both. The circuit earth should go to the metal faceplate
and a separate flying lead should go from the metal faceplate earth to the
backing box. All earths must be sheathed in green/yellow, and must not be
left bare.

Christian.

Andy Burns

anon90210 wrote:

I have purchase some light switches, but instead of having 2 terminals
they have 3 (SW1, SW2, Common).
Is there any way I can use these as normal switches, and if so which
way round would I wire them?

Just use Common and *one* of SW1 or SW2 (ignore the other one)
Alex

use sw1 and common

Dave Plowman (News)

In article ,
anon90210 wrote:
I have purchase some light switches, but instead of having 2 terminals
they have 3 (SW1, SW2, Common). It seems they are intended for places
that have 2 switches (ie. top and bottom of stairs).

Is there any way I can use these as normal switches, and if so which
way round would I wire them?

Use common and L1. If the switch operates 'upside down' use common and L2.

Also - when replacing plastic switches (where the earth is wired to
the wall casing) with metal switches, I assume that the earth should
be connected to the switch not the casing?

The best way is to move the earth to the switch earth terminal, and run a
similar earth wire sleeved in the same way to the box terminal.

--
*Where do forest rangers go to "get away from it all?"

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Andy Burns

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

The best way is to move the earth to the switch earth terminal, and run a
similar earth wire sleeved in the same way to the box terminal.

is in necessasry to do the latter if the box is plastic, or only if it
is metal?

Lurch

On Wed, 19 Jan 2005 22:17:32 +0000, Andy Burns
strung together this:

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

The best way is to move the earth to the switch earth terminal, and run a
similar earth wire sleeved in the same way to the box terminal.

is in necessasry to do the latter if the box is plastic, or only if it
is metal?

Only when the box is metal.
--

SJW
Andy Burns

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

IMHO, only metal. But it does no harm if plastic.

I suppose the earthing points on the placcie ones are more effectively
just a physical anchoring point ...
Lurch

On Thu, 20 Jan 2005 23:08:06 +0000, Andy Burns
strung together this:

I suppose the earthing points on the placcie ones are more effectively
just a physical anchoring point ...

Yep. Some accesories say something along those lines on them.
--

SJW
Dave Plowman (News)

In article ,
Andy Burns wrote:
IMHO, only metal. But it does no harm if plastic.

I suppose the earthing points on the placcie ones are more effectively
just a physical anchoring point ...

A suitable place to make off the earth in an all plastic switch and box
installation in case of future metal switch etc installation. Many simply
cut off the EEC, and taping it up isn't so sanitary.

--
*Stable Relationships Are For Horses. *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Mike

"Andy Burns" wrote in message
Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

IMHO, only metal. But it does no harm if plastic.

I suppose the earthing points on the placcie ones are more effectively
just a physical anchoring point ...

Oh if they were even that. Most plastic boxes have dispensed with such a
useful 'add to cost' altogether :-(