Default 12.99 battery drills in rober dyas

I spent 20 agonising minutes yesterday in the shop trying to work out
if a Bosch psr1440 for =A349 was better value than the unknown make
drill for =A312.99. ( forget what it's called Ajo.. somthing) Anyway I
went for the cheapo one and it seems ok. What specifically are you
paying for with Bosch I wander ? ( Apart from the advertising and the
extra battery ) I guess I could get 2 Ajo.. ones if I need a spare
battery!

Simon

s--p--o--n--i--x

On Tue, 18 Jan 2005 10:55:46 +0000, Grunff wrote:

This has really been done to death. The difference is very large indeed.
In summary, your Ajo will have:
- Crap batteries
- Poor speed control
- Much lower torque
- Crap chuck
- Battery charger which will batteries quickly

They're the main points.

Didn't the advertising standards authority recently do a study and
concluded Lidl cordless drills were equivalent to Bosch but far
cheaper?

sPoNiX

- Crap batteries

possibly, although they were both NiCd cells, I would't be suprised if
they are standard tagged cells that can be replaced.

- Poor speed control

I tried it this morning. it's got proper electronic, variable speed
contol. Seems ok to my ( non expert) hands!

- Much lower torque

hmm, well I tried screwing a small woodscrew in, also you can't hold
the chuck and stop it spinning. ( not that this is any test I guess ! )

- Crap chuck

maybee.. If it works I suppose I don't care though since If it breaks
/ slips it goes back to the shop .

- Crap batteries

possibly, although they were both NiCd cells, I would't be suprised if
they are standard tagged cells that can be replaced. Both battery packs
seemed to weigh the same as well (?)

- Poor speed control

I tried it this morning. it's got proper electronic, variable speed
control. Seems ok to my ( non expert) hands!

- Much lower torque

hmm, well I tried screwing a small woodscrew in, also you can't hold
the chuck and stop it spinning. ( not that this is any test I guess ! )

- Crap chuck

maybee.. If it works I suppose I don't care though since If it breaks
/ slips it goes back to the shop .

- Battery charger which will batteries quickly

It says 5 hr charge max.. although it's obviously a cheap and cheerful
charger.. I don't know if batteries preffer being charged quickly or
slowly anyway

All things considered I guess you get what you pay for, it suprises me
that they don't put some of these points on the packaging to enable
people to compare . I'm quite happy with it though, considering what it
cost and what I need it for.

Paul \( Skiing8 \)

wrote in message
ups.com...
I spent 20 agonising minutes yesterday in the shop trying to work out
if a Bosch psr1440 for £49 was better value than the unknown make
drill for £12.99. ( forget what it's called Ajo.. somthing) Anyway I
went for the cheapo one and it seems ok. What specifically are you
paying for with Bosch I wander ? ( Apart from the advertising and the
extra battery ) I guess I could get 2 Ajo.. ones if I need a spare
battery!

Simon

I got a cheapie drill/driver from woollies yesterday for £9.99 - reduced
from £30, I know it won't be great but it will be good to have kicking
about. I can have my good drill in action and have that with a different
size drill/driver bit in it. A good example is when building kitchen
cabinets..... poor drill has pilot hole drill in it and the good drill has
screwdriver bit.

Paul

I might get the Bosch one as well anyway ( I'm like that )

;-)

Dave Plowman (News)

In article .com,
wrote:
possibly, although they were both NiCd cells, I would't be suprised if
they are standard tagged cells that can be replaced. Both battery packs
seemed to weigh the same as well (?)

I'm afraid not all Ni-Cads are the same. Decent quality replacements are
likely to cost more than the entire drill...

--
*Atheism is a non-prophet organization.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Grunff

Andy Dingley wrote:

Probably no different. A drill for £49 with a Bosch nametag on it is
still pretty low-end.

I'm afraid I don't agree at all. In addition to my lovely 18v Makita, I
own 2 other cordless drills. One is a 10 year old Bosch 7.2v, the other
is an 8 year old 14.4V StrongArm (what nuTool used to be).

The Bosch still works. Battery life isn't what it used to be, but it's
still useful. The StrongArm is all but useless, the battery capacity is
next to nothing, the chuck is knackered and the forward/reverse switch
doesn't stay in place.

The Bosch cost me £60 back then, which was a lot of money for me as a
poor student. The StrongArm was about £20.

--
Grunff
Kaiser

wrote in message
ups.com...
I spent 20 agonising minutes yesterday in the shop trying to work out
if a Bosch psr1440 for £49 was better value than the unknown make
drill for £12.99. ( forget what it's called Ajo.. somthing) Anyway I
went for the cheapo one and it seems ok. What specifically are you
paying for with Bosch I wander ? ( Apart from the advertising and the
extra battery ) I guess I could get 2 Ajo.. ones if I need a spare
battery!

Simon

The cheap drills on the market can be quite adequate for occasional use, but
if you are going to use them on a regular basis may not have the durability
of say Makita or Bosch. We use drills of various types from SDS to Combi's
day in day out, and in my experience Bosch or Makita seem to outlast
everything else. We have used Dewalt in the past but find they are as
unreliable as most of the cheap stuff. So if you want something that will
last I would recommend you pay the extra for the Bosch.

IMM

"Kaiser" wrote in message

wrote in message
ups.com...
[...]

I have found Bosch unreliable. Makita is v good. I would rather have a
Wickes (made by Kress) drill any time than Bosch or DeWalt.

IMM

"Grunff" wrote in message
Andy Dingley wrote:

Probably no different. A drill for £49 with a Bosch nametag on it is
still pretty low-end.

I'm afraid I don't agree at all. In addition to my lovely 18v Makita, I
own 2 other cordless drills. One is a 10 year old Bosch 7.2v, the other
is an 8 year old 14.4V StrongArm (what nuTool used to be).

The Bosch still works. Battery life isn't what it used to be, but it's
still useful. The StrongArm is all but useless, the battery capacity is
next to nothing, the chuck is knackered and the forward/reverse switch
doesn't stay in place.

The Bosch cost me £60 back then, which was a lot of money for me as a
poor student. The StrongArm was about £20.

Seems the strong Arm was better value.

Dave Plowman (News)

In article ,
Kaiser wrote:
I have found Bosch unreliable. Makita is v good. I would rather have
a Wickes (made by Kress) drill any time than Bosch or DeWalt.

You must be in a minority, most sites I've worked on they use Bosch,
Makita or Dewalt and occasionally Metabo power tools... don't think
I've ever seen a Wickes drill on site.

Yes. It's one of IMM's little foibles that he thinks real pros use cheap
power tools. Each time I visit a building site - and I visit quite a few
in connection with my work - I look out for them. Still looking. Of course
they're all in London where perhaps the tradesman have more sense than
those he says he works with. Indeed I'd say they'd have to be pretty
misguided to let him anywhere near real work.

--
*What boots up must come down *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Andy Dingley

On Tue, 18 Jan 2005 19:28:41 +0000, Grunff wrote:

The Bosch cost me £60 back then, which was a lot of money

So it was more expensive, and also made 10 years ago ? How do you
think it would stack up against a current Bosch ? My point is not
that your drill isn;t a good one, but that a 40-something current
Bosch isn't much to shout about.

--
Smert' spamionam
Owain

"Kaiser" wrote
| "IMM" wrote
| [snip dribble]
| You must be in a minority,

IMM usually is.

| ... don't think I've ever seen a Wickes drill on site.

How long d'you think IMM would last on site then?

Owain

IMM

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message
In article ,
Kaiser wrote:
I have found Bosch unreliable. Makita is v good. I would rather have
a Wickes (made by Kress) drill any time than Bosch or DeWalt.

You must be in a minority, most sites I've worked on they use Bosch,
Makita or Dewalt and occasionally Metabo power tools... don't think
I've ever seen a Wickes drill on site.

Yes. It's

snip drivel

misinformation not worth reading

Grunff

Andy Dingley wrote:

The Bosch cost me £60 back then, which was a lot of money

So it was more expensive, and also made 10 years ago ? How do you
think it would stack up against a current Bosch ?

Good question. A while back, I bought an 18V green Bosch, which was
definitely poor compared to the competition. That was ~£120. But I don't
have any experience of lower priced current Bosch drills.

My point is not
that your drill isn;t a good one, but that a 40-something current
Bosch isn't much to shout about.

I'd still hope it would be a whole load better than the ultra cheapies.
But maybe that isn't the case anymore.

--
Grunff
IMM

"Kaiser" wrote in message

"IMM" wrote in message

"Kaiser" wrote in message

wrote in message
ups.com...
[...]

I have seen all those, and Wickes drills too. DeWalt are expensive crap.

Dave

I think we are all missing the point here. Big difference between
'made cheaply' and cheaply made'.

We now have mass production, electronics, high grade plastics, JIT
manufacturing, bulk purchasing and cheap oriental labour.

Bosch etc used to make huge margins on power tools. I mea HUGE. Bosch
sales reps used to have annual sales conferences in Spain, any car they
wanted and open ended expense accounts. Now they meet in Watford,
drive a basic Mondeo and have strict cost controls.

I work for a multi national manufacturer of high pressure cleaners.
Once we made chassis, heat exchangers, steel work etc in house in
Denmark. Now the same 'non critical' components are made in Estonia,
Bulgaria etc at approx 50% of the cost for exactly the same item.

Rough guide IMO. If something is 90% cheaper, it probably is crap. If
it's 50% cheaper it may well be exactly the same quality.

Dave

Kaiser wrote:

You must be in a minority, most sites I've worked on they use Bosch, Makita
or Dewalt and occasionally Metabo power tools... don't think I've ever seen
a Wickes drill on site.

I recently bought a Metabo 12 volt cordless for just under £100, I
chose this specifically because I needed a lot of torque for driving
big (6mm x 100 and 8mm x 120) screws into fence posts. The Metabo was
about the cheapest cordless I could find with torque at or around the
50nM area.

It's the first 'professional' or 'non DIY/cheapie' cordless that I've
bought. I already have an old Skil, a Ferm 24v 'combi' and a cheap
9.6 volt green Bosch.

After having had the Metabo for a few months now and comparing it with
the 'cheap' tools I have my thoughts are as follows:-

It is better and nicer to use, but whether it's four times better
(that's the price differential) I'm not sure.

The speed control etc. is somewhat better but not really a huge
amount different.

The thing I really, really like about it is the 'one handed'
chuck, brilliant! (The Bosch chuck is particularly bad)

In general now if I take one cordless to a job it's the Metabo but
having several is still very useful to avoid bit changes etc.

If one needs something specific (like the high torque I wanted)
then it may only be available in a more expensive 'professional'
tool.

--
Chris Green
:::Jerry::::

IMM wrote:
You must be in a minority, most sites I've worked on they use Bosch,
Makita or Dewalt and occasionally Metabo power tools... don't think
I've ever seen a Wickes drill on site.

I have seen all those, and Wickes drills too. DeWalt are expensive

crap.

Perhaps

snip drivel

Misinformation not worth reading

How can a *question* be "misinformation" ?

[ Dave asked - "Perhaps you'd give details of a site you've seem where the
tradesmen use
domestic cheap tools? " ]

I don't expect the moron who is IMM to answer that question, he will just
snip it as drivel or 'misinformation' !....

IMM

IMM wrote:
You must be in a minority, most sites I've worked on they use

Bosch,
Makita or Dewalt and occasionally Metabo power tools... don't

think
I've ever seen a Wickes drill on site.

I have seen all those, and Wickes drills too. DeWalt are expensive

crap.

Perhaps

snip drivel

Misinformation not worth reading

How can a *question* be "misinformation" ?

It is clear the question is drivel.

:::Jerry::::

"IMM" wrote in message

IMM wrote:
You must be in a minority, most sites I've worked on they use

Bosch,
Makita or Dewalt and occasionally Metabo power tools... don't

think
I've ever seen a Wickes drill on site.

I have seen all those, and Wickes drills too. DeWalt are expensive

crap.

Perhaps

snip drivel

Misinformation not worth reading

How can a *question* be "misinformation" ?

It is clear the question is drivel.

[ Dave asked "Perhaps you'd give details of a site you've seem where the
tradesmen use domestic cheap tools? ]

It might or might not be, but how is a question "misinformation" ?
A question is not information, only the answer is - perhaps the answer was
going to be drivel ?....

Dave Plowman (News)

In article ,
:::Jerry:::: wrote:
How can a *question* be "misinformation" ?

It is clear the question is drivel.

[ Dave asked "Perhaps you'd give details of a site you've seem where the
tradesmen use domestic cheap tools? ]

It might or might not be, but how is a question "misinformation" ? A
question is not information, only the answer is - perhaps the answer was
going to be drivel ?....

I'm afraid the obvious answer is IMM has made this up - yet again.

A true pro will use pro tools. It may not matter to an amateur if his shed
tools break down and have to be replaced - even for free. But it does to
someone making their living out of them - they'd be the laughing stock of
their colleagues.

--
*Women like silent men; they think they're listening.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

mike

In article ,
Andy Dingley wrote:

the last-but-one Fine
Woodworking magazine had a very good multi-drill review of high and
medium end drills

Can you have a medium end? ;-)
StealthUK

You're probably getting a better drill with the Bosch but you'll
certainly be paying a premium for the name.

:::Jerry::::

"IMM" wrote in message

snip several attempts to get IMM to answer a simple question

snip drivel

Not worth reading..

I think we can all make up our minds just who is talking drivel....