P.A.Osborne

Default speedfit to copper

A quick question:

I am about to replumb the entire bathroom and for ease of work
(for my benefit) am going to use SpeedFit stuff for the work.

However I have 4 pipes (cold,water, rad-in and rad-out) that
are copper.

can I get away with just using the speed fit connectors or
do I have to use compression connectors for the initial connection
between copper and plastic pipe?

Cheers

Paul
Grunff

P.A.Osborne wrote:

I am about to replumb the entire bathroom and for ease of work
(for my benefit) am going to use SpeedFit stuff for the work.

However I have 4 pipes (cold,water, rad-in and rad-out) that
are copper.

can I get away with just using the speed fit connectors or
do I have to use compression connectors for the initial connection
between copper and plastic pipe?

As long as the copper pipes are clean and not scratched,
SpeedFit will work just fine.

--
Grunff

Grunff

IMM wrote:

Use Marley Equator. It is better.

Oh for heaven's sake, just get over it. They use exactly the
same sealing method.

--
Grunff

IMM

"Grunff" wrote in message
IMM wrote:

Use Marley Equator. It is better.

Oh for heaven's sake, just get over it. They use exactly the
same sealing method.

Read my post on why it is better.

---

Grunff

IMM wrote:

Read my post on why it is better.

What, because the fittings are partially steel with steel
inserts? That isn't an argument.

The weakest point in a pushfit fitting is the O ring. If
anything's gonna give, it'll be that. I reckon you'll get an
easy 40-50 years life out of an O ring, which for most people is
plenty.

--
Grunff

P.A.Osborne

Grunff wrote:

As long as the copper pipes are clean and not scratched,
SpeedFit will work just fine.

Thats what I wanted to hear!

Thanks very much.

--Paul
--has a lounge full of bathroom stuff waiting to be installed now
--the roof has been fixed.
IMM

"Grunff" wrote in message
IMM wrote:

Read my post on why it is better.

What, because the fittings are partially steel with steel
inserts? That isn't an argument.

You know nothing of pipework. If you did you would not come out with such a
silly statement.

---

IMM

"Grunff" wrote in message
IMM wrote:

You know nothing of pipework. If you did you would not come out with

such a
silly statement.

You really do genuinely believe that you know *everything*,
don't you...

A damn site more than you sunshine, and you had better believe it.

PS
I'm no amateur

---

Bob Eager

On Mon, 4 Aug 2003 15:29:58 UTC, "IMM" wrote:

Use Marley Equator. It is better.

Given the source, Paul, I think that's a recommendation NOT to use
Marley Equator....

--
Bob Eager
rde at tavi.co.uk
PC Server 325*4; PS/2s 9585, 8595, 9595*2, 8580*3,
P70, PC/AT..

P.A.Osborne

"Bob Eager" wrote in message
On Mon, 4 Aug 2003 15:29:58 UTC, "IMM" wrote:

Use Marley Equator. It is better.

Given the source, Paul, I think that's a recommendation NOT to use
Marley Equator....

Another one...Some mothers do have em...it must be the heat wave.

OK knock it off all of you, you have enough willy waving wars elsewhere
on the group.

Is there nowhere safe for a simple question?

I wish I had asked the question as follows:

I intend to use quick-installable-overpriced-but-easy-even-if-you-do-need-
extra-supports plastic plumbing in the bathroom and want to connect
it to copper......

--Paul
--already bought the speedfit stuff on reccomendations of others
--so the arguing makes no difference to me.

PS: I also have a Dyson DC02 around 7 years old which works fine and dandy

IMM

"P.A.Osborne" wrote in message

"Bob Eager" wrote in message
On Mon, 4 Aug 2003 15:29:58 UTC, "IMM" wrote:

Use Marley Equator. It is better.

Given the source, Paul, I think that's a recommendation NOT to use
Marley Equator....

Another one...Some mothers do have em...it must be the heat wave.

OK knock it off all of you, you have enough willy waving wars elsewhere
on the group.

Is there nowhere safe for a simple question?

I wish I had asked the question as follows:

I intend to use quick-installable-overpriced-but-easy-even-if-you-do-need-
extra-supports plastic plumbing in the bathroom and want to connect
it to copper......

--Paul
--already bought the speedfit stuff on reccomendations of others
--so the arguing makes no difference to me.

Send it back. It is notorious for leaks when under strain and hot. When
cool it may re-seal itself. Who recommend it? A DIYer? Please!!

---

David

In article , P.A.Osborne
writes
OK knock it off all of you, you have enough willy waving wars elsewhere
on the group.

Is there nowhere safe for a simple question?

I wish I had asked the question as follows:

I intend to use quick-installable-overpriced-but-easy-even-if-you-do-need-
extra-supports plastic plumbing in the bathroom and want to connect
it to copper......

The fittings are designed to go straight to copper so no problem, I
wouldn't worry too much about the sagging, it will make no difference,
mine sags all over the place *and* there's sideways pressure on the
joints where I've cabled the stuff, as long as you've pushed the pipe
fully home it will work fine.
--
David
IMM

"David" wrote in message
In article , P.A.Osborne
writes
OK knock it off all of you, you have enough willy waving wars elsewhere
on the group.

Is there nowhere safe for a simple question?

I wish I had asked the question as follows:

I intend to use

quick-installable-overpriced-but-easy-even-if-you-do-need-
extra-supports plastic plumbing in the bathroom and want to connect
it to copper......

The fittings are designed to go straight to copper so no problem, I
wouldn't worry too much about the sagging, it will make no difference,

What??? Support it at all points. In fact long length sould be fixed ona
wood baton, as old lead was. Long straight lengths are best in copper.

mine sags all over the place *and* there's sideways pressure on the
joints where I've cabled the stuff, as long as you've pushed the pipe
fully home it will work fine.

What nonsense! Clip and support the right away. If there is a big leak and
it is not supported correctly the insurance will not pay.

I would hate to buy your house in the future.

---

David

In article , IMM
writes

"David" wrote in message
.. .
In article , P.A.Osborne
writes
[...]

You speak out of your arse most of the time so you're not worth getting
into a discussion with

--
David
IMM

"Grunff" wrote in message
IMM wrote:

The fittings are designed to go straight to copper so no problem, I
wouldn't worry too much about the sagging, it will make no difference,

What??? Support it at all points. In fact long length sould be fixed

ona
wood baton, as old lead was. Long straight lengths are best in copper.

LOL!! Have you ever actually used the stuff? Or ever
accidentally snagged a burried MDPE pipe with a digger?? The
fittings are extremely robust, much more so than soldered joints.

You haven't a clue.

---

Grunff

IMM wrote:

You haven't a clue.

Faced with such a well reasoned and comprehensive argument I
find myself at a total loss...

--
Grunff

IMM

"Grunff" wrote in message
IMM wrote:

You haven't a clue.

Faced with such a well reasoned and comprehensive argument I
find myself at a total loss...

Correct, you are a loss.

---

IMM

"David" wrote in message
In article , IMM
writes

"David" wrote in message
.. .
In article , P.A.Osborne
writes
[...]

What is it? I hit a raw nerve. You obviously realised you may have a big
problem. Get it fixed and now.

---

Bob Eager

On Tue, 5 Aug 2003 08:38:28 UTC, "P.A.Osborne" wrote:

--Paul
--already bought the speedfit stuff on reccomendations of others
--so the arguing makes no difference to me.

PS: I also have a Dyson DC02 around 7 years old which works fine and dandy

Ah, but do you have an Aga? :-)

--
Bob Eager
rde at tavi.co.uk
PC Server 325*4; PS/2s 9585, 8595, 9595*2, 8580*3,
P70, PC/AT..

IMM

"Bob Eager" wrote in message
On Tue, 5 Aug 2003 08:38:28 UTC, "P.A.Osborne" wrote:

--Paul
--already bought the speedfit stuff on reccomendations of others
--so the arguing makes no difference to me.

PS: I also have a Dyson DC02 around 7 years old which works fine and

dandy

Ah, but do you have an Aga? :-)

That would cap it all.

---

P.A.Osborne

Bob Eager wrote:
--Paul
--already bought the speedfit stuff on reccomendations of others
--so the arguing makes no difference to me.

PS: I also have a Dyson DC02 around 7 years old which works fine and dandy

Ah, but do you have an Aga? :-)

No, can't say that I want one either.

--Paul
--imm wondering where my killfile has got to...