Default Central Heating Mid-position valve - should it return using spring

My mid-position valve stays powered up in the Heating position even if
nothing is demanding. Is this correct, or should it return to the Water
position using the spring return (like it does if you completly power
down the whole central heating system)?

Cheers

Paul

Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by
My mid-position valve stays powered up in the Heating position even if
nothing is demanding. Is this correct, or should it return to the Water
position using the spring return (like it does if you completly power
down the whole central heating system)?

Cheers

Paul
When the controller turns off the boiler the mid position valves should stay where it was last put, so if you last used heating only it blocks B (hot water), if you last used hot water it blocks A (Heating), if you last used both it stays in the mid position. This is effected by power to the grey lead.

If however all power is cut so there is no voltage on the grey lead either it rests in the hot water only position, obstructing A.

The manual override holds it in the mid position, we use that when filling the system and getting rid of air locks.

Paul
Set Square

My mid-position valve stays powered up in the Heating position even if
nothing is demanding. Is this correct, or should it return to the
Water position using the spring return (like it does if you completly
power down the whole central heating system)?

Cheers

Paul

It seems normal for it to stay put. If you look at the Y-Plan wiring diagram
in
http://content.honeywell.com/uk/homes/systems.htm you'll see that one or
other wire to the valve is receiving power under just about every condition.

The acid test is to remove all power from the heating system by turning it
off at the FCU (not the programmer). *Then* you should hear the spring
return taking it back to the HW position.
--
Cheers,
Set Square

Andrew Gabriel

In article ,
"Set Square" writes:

My mid-position valve stays powered up in the Heating position even if
nothing is demanding. Is this correct, or should it return to the
Water position using the spring return (like it does if you completly
power down the whole central heating system)?

Cheers

Paul

It seems normal for it to stay put. If you look at the Y-Plan wiring diagram
in
http://content.honeywell.com/uk/homes/systems.htm you'll see that one or
other wire to the valve is receiving power under just about every condition.

The acid test is to remove all power from the heating system by turning it
off at the FCU (not the programmer). *Then* you should hear the spring
return taking it back to the HW position.

If it was in mid-postion when you remove power, then it is OK for it
to either stay there or return to the hot water position. Mid position
is normally held by feeding the synchronous motor with a DC supply
which locks its rotor. When power is removed, you can be left with
residual magnetism in the field yoke caused by the DC supply having
slightly magnetised it, which can continue to lock it into mid-position.
Often a slight tap in this state or touching the indicator lever is
enough for the spring to overcome this temporary mangetism. When the
unit is powered and needs to return to the hot water position, a tiny
AC current is leaked through the field winding via a 270k resistor which
is just enough to kill this temporary residual magnetism in the field
yoke and allow the spring return to operate.

--
Andrew Gabriel
John

"Andrew Gabriel" wrote in message
In article ,
"Set Square" writes:

[...]

I don't think you have answered what the OP asked Andrew - It seems to me he
was asking if the valve would (should) stay in the fully powered up i.e.
open to heating position when the clock, thermostat, etc turns off. The
answer is yes it does stay in that position unless a water "call" is applied
or as you suggested ALL power is turned off at the isolator. It is a defect
in the design of the Y plan as it can lead to the motor spending very long
periods energised although it has been a known problem for many years and it
is unlikely to be modified now. I prefer to install S plan for just this
reason.

Andrew Gabriel

In article ,
"John" writes:

I don't think you have answered what the OP asked Andrew - It seems to me he

I was following up Set Square's point, not the OP's.

was asking if the valve would (should) stay in the fully powered up i.e.
open to heating position when the clock, thermostat, etc turns off. The
answer is yes it does stay in that position unless a water "call" is applied
or as you suggested ALL power is turned off at the isolator. It is a defect
in the design of the Y plan as it can lead to the motor spending very long
periods energised although it has been a known problem for many years and it
is unlikely to be modified now. I prefer to install S plan for just this
reason.

I'm not actually familiar with the common 'plans'. My mid position
valve and boiler demand for heat are driven by a computer program
of my own design. I did however have to sit down and carefully
work out how to drive a mid position valve in order to do this,
and it wasn't as obvious as it seemed at first. I talked with one
of the manufacturers who were extremely helpful and put me in
direct contact with one of their valve designers, who explained
the residual magnetism issue (I kept having the valve stick in
the middle position until I discovered I had to degauss the yoke).

--
Andrew Gabriel

Strange behaviour with my central heating... Tarquin Fin- tim- lim- bim- whin- bim- lim- bus- s UK diy 3 January 19th 04 11:40 AM
Central Heating control unit replacement - advice please Damian Home Repair 1 December 29th 03 01:35 AM
Buzzing Central Heating = no heating Zordiac UK diy 4 September 29th 03 12:16 PM
Central Heating Pump john UK diy 3 July 4th 03 08:57 PM
Mid Position Valve Nigel UK diy 2 July 4th 03 03:24 AM