Tarquin Fin- tim- lim- bim- whin- bim- lim- bus- s

Default Strange behaviour with my central heating...

My central heating has separate switches for hot water and heating. I was
disappointed to discover that all through winter the central heating only
switch hadn't been heating the hot water also (as expected from earlier
experiences with similar systems).

Now, all of a sudden, it has started to generate hot water as well!

Apart from magic, what could be the explanation?

Christian McArdle

My central heating has separate switches for hot water and heating. I was
disappointed to discover that all through winter the central heating only
switch hadn't been heating the hot water also (as expected from earlier
experiences with similar systems).

Now, all of a sudden, it has started to generate hot water as well!

Apart from magic, what could be the explanation?

The hot water zone valve may have failed. The systems that are incapable of
not heating the hot water when the CH is on are usually ancient inefficient
gravity fed models. It sounds like your new system is a bit more modern and
can control the hot water independently, saving money and preventing the hot
water overheating.

Alternatively, someone has found the unlabelled emergency immersion switch
and turned it on, wondering what it did.

Christian.

Lawrence

A vague thought as the weather warms up. Does the boiler dump overrun
heat into the tank?

On Mon, 19 Jan 2004 09:46:49 -0000, "Christian McArdle"
wrote:

[...]

usenet at lklyne dt co dt uk
Set Square

Tarquin Fin- tim- lim- bim- whin- bim- lim- bus- stop- F'tang- F'tang- Olè-
Biscuitbarrel wrote:

My central heating has separate switches for hot water and heating.
I was disappointed to discover that all through winter the central
heating only switch hadn't been heating the hot water also (as
expected from earlier experiences with similar systems).

Now, all of a sudden, it has started to generate hot water as well!

Apart from magic, what could be the explanation?

You'll need to tell us a bit more about the system! Presumably, it is fully
pumped - rather than gravity HW and pumped CH? Does it have a 3-port valve
(Y-plan) to direct water to the HW and CH circuits, or does it have 2
separate 2-port zone valves (S-plan)? [If you're not sure, have a look at
http://content.honeywell.com/uk/homes/systems.htm and try to work out what
you've got].
--
Cheers,