Default Trying to repair pipe buried underground.

Hi all,

I would love to have some practical guidance at the beginning of this
DIY job.

I have just tried to break up the cement in the kitchen, I am using
about a 5 lb hammer and a flat cold chisel but don't seem to be making
much of an impact.

Is this normal and I just need to take it slow or is there something
else I should be doing.

I am digging about 8" away from the hairline crack, this is probably
the centre of where the pipes run parallel to wall, and just outside
the hollow sound of cement which must be over the pipes.
I would really appreciate feedback before I do damage!!!

Thanks,

Newshound

SDS drill, with appropriate bits.
These can be from 20 quid up for a cheap one.

Agreed. Even a £50 SDS will pay for itself on this job. Angle grinders can
be useful but make A LOT of dust. Get a Screwfix or similar diamond blade if
going this route.

And now, the problem.
If the pipes were copper, directly buried in concrete, then they will
likely have many places along the length where they are about to leak,
even if you fix this one.

Agree again. I suppose you *might* be lucky: it might be plastic.

My sympathy!

Thanks for the tip. Because its hollow over where the hottest area is,
when the heating is on, I hope that its the sand that was surrounding
the pipes. Could it just be localized damage?

Thanks.

Newshound

Thanks for the tip. Because its hollow over where the hottest area is,
when the heating is on, I hope that its the sand that was surrounding the
pipes. Could it just be localized damage?

Heating pipe under concrete? I suppose it could be in sand. If I were really
*forced* to concrete-in a heating pipe then I would have used plastic pipe
and pipe insulation. I suppose it might sound hollow if a long-term leak has
washed away the sub-soil. You might be lucky and just have localised damage
but there will be a risk of corrosion elsewhere.(That said, I have a copper
rising main plastered into a damp wall which hasn't failed yet, but it is on
my "must fix" list)

Gas Pipe Mo Thanku UK diy 5 October 19th 04 06:22 PM
repair underground wire insulation Karl Townsend Metalworking 8 April 26th 04 03:12 AM
undoing cast iron soil pipe joint Alasdair UK diy 8 February 2nd 04 07:17 AM
Replacing old steel water main supply pipe Pandora UK diy 3 January 24th 04 08:53 AM
Ground to Gas Pipe?? w_tom Home Repair 4 June 23rd 03 09:14 AM