Mo Thanku

Default Gas Pipe

Hi all,
Need some help please,

I am redoing our Kitchen have the few issues with Gas pipe.

The pipe entering the kitchen from the basement is 15mm a big part of
it is buried under concrete so I can not have access to it.

Now Because the cooker will be install in new position I will have to
reroute the pipe to new cooker point

I was thinking of cutting into the 15mm pipe from where it just enter
the kitchen and from that point change to 22mm .

This 22mm(just under 3 metes run) pipe will buried into concrete floor
which will tiled over.

The pipe will be wrap in this glue like sticky green tape which my
local plumbing shop has given me, saying this is what to use when
laying pipe under concrete, I think they called it Dynso tape will
this be ok?

From the cooker point the pipe changes into 15mm as it goes upsatirs
landing.

In the landing it than changes to 22mm about 2 metrs run till the it
than drop down into the cupboard where the boiler is as it drop down
it changes into 15mm

*=15mm
==22mm
e= elbow

*e*****==================e
* *
* e *
* *
=
=
=
***********=======================

I hope the above drawing gives some idea of what I am talking about.
I really do not want to distrub the pipe run upsatirs as it is runing
under floor boards and I want to avoid resoldering if I can.
I be very grateful for any feedback.
Many Thanks
MA
Ed Sirett

On Sun, 17 Oct 2004 12:54:00 -0700, Mo Thanku wrote:

Hi all,
Need some help please,

I am redoing our Kitchen have the few issues with Gas pipe.

The pipe entering the kitchen from the basement is 15mm a big part of
it is buried under concrete so I can not have access to it.

Now Because the cooker will be install in new position I will have to
reroute the pipe to new cooker point

I was thinking of cutting into the 15mm pipe from where it just enter
the kitchen and from that point change to 22mm .

This 22mm(just under 3 metes run) pipe will buried into concrete floor
which will tiled over.

The pipe will be wrap in this glue like sticky green tape which my
local plumbing shop has given me, saying this is what to use when
laying pipe under concrete, I think they called it Dynso tape will
this be ok?

From the cooker point the pipe changes into 15mm as it goes upsatirs
landing.

In the landing it than changes to 22mm about 2 metrs run till the it
than drop down into the cupboard where the boiler is as it drop down
it changes into 15mm

*=15mm
==22mm
e= elbow

*e*****==================e
* *
* e *
* *
=
=
=
***********=======================

I hope the above drawing gives some idea of what I am talking about.
I really do not want to distrub the pipe run upsatirs as it is runing
under floor boards and I want to avoid resoldering if I can.
I be very grateful for any feedback.

I think you should read the Gas Fitting FAQ below.
Quite a bit of your questions are covered therein.

I am fairly sure that your existing gas pipe work is sub-standard and I
would be interested to know what the inlet pressure is at the boiler
when its going full tilt and you're cooking Xmas dinner.

If you work on the gas installation you become responsible for it.
This installation is calling for repipe.

The FAQ for uk.diy is at www.diyfaq.org.uk

alan

Just because it is substandard does not mean you have to repipe it, you are
only "obliged" to do that if you are a professional, it would seem the
proposal would improve the piping capacity.
I had a telephone conversation with CORGI last year and who are aware the
advice they give out, if followed slavishly, would create havoc ie "gas
pipework undersized so that a gas appliance cannnot run at the
manufacturer's design input pressure (and flow)" = AT RISK
Well that would knock out around 80-90% of gas appliances.
The tech guy gave his opinion that cookers would be ok to 14mb, probably
the same for boilers, especially modern modulating, but he would not firmly
give this figure for boilers as there are too many variances.
The only real danger is cookers and some gas fires on a low peep can be
extinguished by the boiler kicking in, but this only happens well below
14mb.
IMM

"Mo Thanku" wrote in message
om...
Hi all,
Need some help please,

I am redoing our Kitchen have the few issues with Gas pipe.

The pipe entering the kitchen from the basement is 15mm a big part of
it is buried under concrete so I can not have access to it.

Now Because the cooker will be install in new position I will have to
reroute the pipe to new cooker point

I was thinking of cutting into the 15mm pipe from where it just enter
the kitchen and from that point change to 22mm .

This 22mm(just under 3 metes run) pipe will buried into concrete floor
which will tiled over.

The pipe will be wrap in this glue like sticky green tape which my
local plumbing shop has given me, saying this is what to use when
laying pipe under concrete, I think they called it Dynso tape will
this be ok?

From the cooker point the pipe changes into 15mm as it goes upsatirs
[...]

The boiler should have its own dedicated 22mm supply directly back to the
meter, assuming a 22mm pipe will be large enough.

Your gas system is well undersized.

IMM

"alan" wrote in message

Just because it is substandard does not mean you have to repipe it,

It DOES!!!!!

The tech guy gave his opinion that cookers
would be ok to 14mb, probably
the same for boilers, especially modern
modulating,

NONSENSE!!! Some Ideal pre-mix modulating boilers can operate at 14 mb
minimum, so they say. In reality they cut out, bang explode, etc, etc.
Modern modulating boilers like the pressure way and the supply constant.

but he would not firmly
give this figure for boilers as there are too many variances.

The only real danger is cookers and
some gas fires on a low peep can be
extinguished by the boiler kicking in,

That is why boilers should always be on a dedicated supply back to the
meter.

Ed Sirett

On Mon, 18 Oct 2004 19:26:38 +0000, alan wrote:

[...]

Yes and No. the 80-90% is probably a fair estimate. However most are only
a little out of spec. As 90%+ of installations that don't comply would
comply if the maximum permitted pressure drop were 3 mb insteadd of 1mb.

I agree that few appliances would have a real problem at 14mb
(except some forced premix burners which are quite sensitive).

AIUI there is an absolute minimum for Transco to supply gas at 15mb with a
1mb drop in the installation pipework that makes 14mb.

The problems of course occur when then you have both very poor service
presure and poor installation pipe work.

The FAQ for uk.diy is at www.diyfaq.org.uk