Lobster

Default Isolating radiators when decorating

It seems to be something of an FAQ here as to how to remove radiators
for decorating without draining down and/or making a mess, and I just
came across the following valves at Screwfix which I thought I'd pass on
to the group as I've never heard of them before - are they new?

These replace standard radiator tails to allow the rad to be isolated
and removed from the wall still full of water. Fantastic! I'm buying a
boxful.

David
Set Square

--
Cheers,
Set Square

Set Square

Lobster wrote:

It seems to be something of an FAQ here as to how to remove radiators
for decorating without draining down and/or making a mess, and I just
came across the following valves at Screwfix which I thought I'd pass
on to the group as I've never heard of them before - are they new?

These replace standard radiator tails to allow the rad to be isolated
and removed from the wall still full of water. Fantastic! I'm
buying a boxful.

David

Can someone please explain the picture on the Screwfix site. There are 2
items illustrated, which are different. They both seem to have a 1/2" BSP
threaded bit to screw into the rad - but one has a cone fitting at the other
end and the other has what looks like a plain 15mm shank. I can appreciate
that you might want one or the other depending on whether your valve to tail
connections are cone or compression type - but this look like one of *each*
sold as a pair!

Am I missing something?
--
Cheers,
Set Square

Andy

Set Square wrote:
Lobster wrote:

David

Can someone please explain the picture on the Screwfix site. There are 2
items illustrated, which are different. They both seem to have a 1/2" BSP
threaded bit to screw into the rad - but one has a cone fitting at the other
end and the other has what looks like a plain 15mm shank. I can appreciate
that you might want one or the other depending on whether your valve to tail
connections are cone or compression type - but this look like one of *each*
sold as a pair!

Am I missing something?

One for the TRV, one for the lockshield. Admittedly this "pair" would
not suit everyone, but all my radiators (bar one) would require one of each.

Andy
David Hearn

Set Square wrote:
Lobster wrote:

[...]

In our situation we have cones on the lockshield valve and the plain 15mm
compression tail for the TRV end. I guess they're thinking of the same
situation - although it doesn't make it clear that they're two different
fittings.

David

Set Square

David Hearn wrote:

Can someone please explain the picture on the Screwfix site. There
are 2 items illustrated, which are different. They both seem to have
a 1/2" BSP threaded bit to screw into the rad - but one has a cone
fitting at the other end and the other has what looks like a plain
15mm shank. I can appreciate that you might want one or the other
depending on whether your valve to tail connections are cone or
compression type - but this look like one of *each* sold as a pair!

Am I missing something?

In our situation we have cones on the lockshield valve and the plain
15mm compression tail for the TRV end. I guess they're thinking of
the same situation - although it doesn't make it clear that they're
two different fittings.

It sounds as if they would suit your situation - but not everybody's. Most
of my rads have cones both ends, and one or two have compression fittings
both ends. It would make more sense in my view to sell the two types
separately and individually.

One other point worth noting. A rad full of water - particularly a large
one - is *bl--dy* heavy. Are you sure you want to lift it off full? You can
also get tails with built-in drain points - which sound a better bet to me,
allowing a rad to be drained less mesily than otherwise - although some
types may increase the length a bit.

Actually Screwfix do one
http://www.screwfix.com/app/sfd/cat/...11074&ts=36898 where the
drain is beyond the end of the valve rather than on the tail. Does anyone
know what the drain point connects to? I would *hope* that with the valve
closed it would connect to the rad rather than the supply pipe - enabling
just the rad to be drained. Is this what it *actually* does?
--
Cheers,
Set Square

Mike

"Lobster" wrote in message
news
It seems to be something of an FAQ here as to how to remove radiators
for decorating without draining down and/or making a mess, and I just
came across the following valves at Screwfix which I thought I'd pass on
to the group as I've never heard of them before - are they new?

These replace standard radiator tails to allow the rad to be isolated
and removed from the wall still full of water. Fantastic! I'm buying a
boxful.

Saw in the local paper this week that the guy who invented these made a
fortune but has just been declared bankrupt.

Kevin Brady

I think the photo is showing two parts of the 'valve' each with their own check valve, which screw into each other (spigot and socket). I think one piece remains on the pipework and the other remains on the radiator. Turn of both check valves and you can unscrew in the middle and remove radiator without draining either rad or central heating pipework (for decorating etc.)

Of course putting them on in the first place means getting a bit wet...

--
KEVIN BRADY, Oxford
_____________________
"Set Square" wrote in message ...
Lobster wrote:

[...]

Set Square

Kevin Brady wrote:

I think the photo is showing two parts of the 'valve' each with their
own check valve, which screw into each other (spigot and socket). I
think one piece remains on the pipework and the other remains on the
radiator. Turn of both check valves and you can unscrew in the middle
and remove radiator without draining either rad or central heating
pipework (for decorating etc.)

Of course putting them on in the first place means getting a bit
wet...

I'm not convinced you're right. You only need *one* check valve per side
which stays with the rad, because turning off both valves will keep the
water in the pipes. The two bits illustrated don't look to me as though they
join to each other - but rather that you use one on one side of the rad and
the other one on the opposite side.

So the question remains - why do Screwfix deem us to need one of each type,
rather than selling them separately and allowing us to 'mix and match'?
--
Cheers,
Set Square

Cycle

I'm not convinced you're right. You only need *one* check valve per side
which stays with the rad, because turning off both valves will keep the
water in the pipes. The two bits illustrated don't look to me as though
they
join to each other - but rather that you use one on one side of the rad
and
the other one on the opposite side.

So the question remains - why do Screwfix deem us to need one of each
type,
rather than selling them separately and allowing us to 'mix and match'?
--
Cheers,
Set Square
______

Screwfix union/compression pair, no. 33123

Screwfix union pair, no 30364