Andrew Barnes

Default Storing paint

I just opened a 2.5L can of white eggshell paint which has been stored for
about 6 weeks with about a litre left. There was a layer of hard oil on the
top and the stuff underneath was ruined.

What is the best way to store paint in order to preserve it?

Thanks

Andrew

S Viemeister

Andrew Barnes wrote:

I just opened a 2.5L can of white eggshell paint which has been stored for
about 6 weeks with about a litre left. There was a layer of hard oil on the
top and the stuff underneath was ruined.

What is the best way to store paint in order to preserve it?

I transfer the leftovers to clean glass jars, and label them, so I know
what it is, and when and where it was used.

Sheila

Christian McArdle

What is the best way to store paint in order to preserve it?

Clean the lid and rim before replacing it. Otherwise, air can get in. Don't
let it freeze or get too warm.

Christian.

Lobster

Andrew Barnes wrote:

What is the best way to store paint in order to preserve it?

Upside down!

That lets the paint seal any tiny airgaps between lid and tin, helping
to prevent the paint drying out. Or at least invert the tin briefly
after closing it: not as effective but better than nothing.

David
Andrew Gabriel

In article ,
Lobster writes:
Andrew Barnes wrote:

What is the best way to store paint in order to preserve it?

Upside down!

Yes, that's what I do.

--
Andrew Gabriel

r.p.mcmurphy

"S Viemeister" wrote in message
Andrew Barnes wrote:

I just opened a 2.5L can of white eggshell paint which has been stored
for
about 6 weeks with about a litre left. There was a layer of hard oil on
the
top and the stuff underneath was ruined.

What is the best way to store paint in order to preserve it?

I transfer the leftovers to clean glass jars, and label them, so I know
what it is, and when and where it was used.

Sheila

typical woman. organised. i left mine outside to freeze and got ruined.
bugger.

Steve

S Viemeister

Andrew Barnes wrote:

I just opened a 2.5L can of white eggshell paint which has been stored
for
about 6 weeks with about a litre left. There was a layer of hard oil on
the
top and the stuff underneath was ruined.

What is the best way to store paint in order to preserve it?

I transfer the leftovers to clean glass jars, and label them, so I know
what it is, and when and where it was used.

Sheila

typical woman. organised. i left mine outside to freeze and got ruined.
bugger.

Been there, done that.
That's why I'm (somewhat) organised now.

Sheila

[news]

"Andrew Gabriel" wrote in message
In article ,
Lobster writes:
Andrew Barnes wrote:

What is the best way to store paint in order to preserve it?

Upside down!

Yes, that's what I do.

me too.

RT

Lobster

Lobster wrote:
Andrew Barnes wrote:

What is the best way to store paint in order to preserve it?

Upside down!

....and while we're on the subject - don't do what so many people do
without thinking and store all your paint, thinners etc in the cupboard
under the stairs (usually cos they're worried about it freezing if they
bung it in the garage or shed). Not a good idea to store hugely
flammable stuff right underneath your only fire exit...!
[news]

"Lobster" wrote in message
Lobster wrote:
Andrew Barnes wrote:

What is the best way to store paint in order to preserve it?

Upside down!

...and while we're on the subject - don't do what so many people do
without thinking and store all your paint, thinners etc in the cupboard
under the stairs (usually cos they're worried about it freezing if they
bung it in the garage or shed). Not a good idea to store hugely
flammable stuff right underneath your only fire exit...!

a good point well made.

RT

dave @ stejonda

In message , "[news]"
writes
"Lobster" wrote in message
Lobster wrote:
Andrew Barnes wrote:

What is the best way to store paint in order to preserve it?

Upside down!

...and while we're on the subject - don't do what so many people do
without thinking and store all your paint, thinners etc in the cupboard
under the stairs (usually cos they're worried about it freezing if they
bung it in the garage or shed). Not a good idea to store hugely
flammable stuff right underneath your only fire exit...!

a good point well made.

So where then? (in order of preference would be nice)

--
dave @ stejonda

http://costofwar.com/
Don Spumey

On Thu, 13 Jan 2005 16:53:40 -0000, "Andrew Barnes"
wrote:

I just opened a 2.5L can of white eggshell paint which has been stored for
about 6 weeks with about a litre left. There was a layer of hard oil on the
top and the stuff underneath was ruined.

What is the best way to store paint in order to preserve it?

Thanks

Andrew

I store my tins upside down, so the skin is at the bottom of the paint
when I come to use it again.

Don.

Andrew Barnes

Thanks everybody for all your advice, I shall place my tins upside down from
now on. Just have to get the lid on properly!

Andrew

John Rumm

Lobster wrote:

...and while we're on the subject - don't do what so many people do
without thinking and store all your paint, thinners etc in the cupboard
under the stairs (usually cos they're worried about it freezing if they
bung it in the garage or shed). Not a good idea to store hugely
flammable stuff right underneath your only fire exit...!

You mena like a company that shall remain nameless in Basildon, that
lost a large building as a result of the UPS on one of their computers
catching fire, buring its way through the wooden floor, and falling into
the paint storage room below ;-)

--
Cheers,

John.

Ian Middleton

"Andrew Barnes" wrote in message
Thanks everybody for all your advice, I shall place my tins upside down
from now on. Just have to get the lid on properly!

Andrew

I store mine upside down in large plastic boxes on a shelf. I have had one
or two cans of paint leak, especially if old and lid is not circular any
more, and as it leaked into the box, the mess was easily cleaned up,

1200 degree High heat spray paint stinks, literally Dan Musicant Metalworking 11 August 21st 20 01:03 PM
Paint formula changes av Home Repair 27 May 28th 14 08:02 AM
Question about latex paint which is solidifying in the can Peter Palma Home Repair 1 August 2nd 04 01:59 PM
Benjamin Moore paint types jeffc Home Ownership 1 August 19th 03 04:51 AM