Nick Atty

Default Wireless room thermostats

I'm (reluctantly - it's more complicated, and adds batteries to the
system) thinking that a wireless RF room thermostat might be the
simplest thing to install upstairs.

Reluctance also comes from the price.

Can anyone recommend a make and model, or somewhere that does them at a
good price, or both? I'm not interested in fancy controllers/timers,
just a turn-up/turn-down type.
--
On-line canal route planner: http://www.canalplan.org.uk

(Waterways World site of the month, April 2001)
Mike

"Nick Atty" wrote in message
I'm (reluctantly - it's more complicated, and adds batteries to the
system) thinking that a wireless RF room thermostat might be the
simplest thing to install upstairs.

Reluctance also comes from the price.

Can anyone recommend a make and model, or somewhere that does them at a
good price, or both? I'm not interested in fancy controllers/timers,
just a turn-up/turn-down type.

Before you start on this route, I'd check you can get a radio signal from A
to B. A wireless doorbell or suchlike will suffice. In many houses no
problems but in some a total block.

John Stumbles

Nick Atty wrote:
I'm (reluctantly - it's more complicated, and adds batteries to the
system) thinking that a wireless RF room thermostat might be the
simplest thing to install upstairs.

Reluctance also comes from the price.

Can anyone recommend a make and model, or somewhere that does them at a
good price, or both? I'm not interested in fancy controllers/timers,
just a turn-up/turn-down type.

RKM Heating controls www.rkm-heating-controls.co.uk do Honeywell CM67
wired and wireless programmable thermostats at about £50 and £100
respectively. They may do others.
Christian McArdle

Can anyone recommend a make and model, or somewhere that does them at a
good price, or both? I'm not interested in fancy controllers/timers,
just a turn-up/turn-down type.

Do you have a subzoned system?

If not, why do you need an upstairs stat?

If so, you should use a programmable one, as you can save a fortune by
taking advantage of the fact that bedrooms need a very different heating
profile to reception rooms. i.e. you can turn off the heat during the day
and only heat in the late evening.

Christian.

Grumpy

"Nick Atty" wrote in message
I'm (reluctantly - it's more complicated, and adds batteries to the
system) thinking that a wireless RF room thermostat might be the
simplest thing to install upstairs.
Reluctance also comes from the price.
Can anyone recommend a make and model, or somewhere that does them at a
good price, or both? I'm not interested in fancy controllers/timers,
just a turn-up/turn-down type.

Go the T shirt here! I have just installed the Danfoss Randall Wireless Room
and Tank stats. They work at 20 metres in building satisfactorily 433.92Mhz
The system cost me £129.29 (RMA heating controls) which is a
fraction of the cost of wiring (80 year old house) not to mention the
decorative
downside. The blurb says battery life should be 2 years but I put in some
energiser
lithium AA cells (7dayshop.com) which means you can forget the problem
(almost)
One plus is the receiver indicates when each system is calling for heat.

Nick Atty

On Thu, 13 Jan 2005 09:57:49 -0000, "Christian McArdle"
wrote:

Can anyone recommend a make and model, or somewhere that does them at a
good price, or both? I'm not interested in fancy controllers/timers,
just a turn-up/turn-down type.

Do you have a subzoned system?

Yes. Three zones (used to be living room and hall on one; downstairs
bedrooms on another and "upstairs" (otherwise unspecified) on the
third), but since rebuilding I'm going to merge two of them (since the
hall and downstairs bedrooms form a new second living room and stairs).
Currently all three are running together off the downstairs stat because
I don't have anything sensible upstairs.

If not, why do you need an upstairs stat?

Well actually even on one zone it would be useful, as the living room
gets warm in the evening and the heating goes off, making the bedroom
distinctly chilly - so a pair or-ed together would still be useful.

If so, you should use a programmable one, as you can save a fortune by
taking advantage of the fact that bedrooms need a very different heating
profile to reception rooms. i.e. you can turn off the heat during the day
and only heat in the late evening.

I was working on the assumption that other members of the household
would fail to use it properly; but since I'm rarely the last one out of
the bedroom on week days, an full programmable one does seem more useful
the more I think about it (particularly given the marginal cost).