Graeme Proctor

Default Potterton Boiler

My Potterton Profile 80 Boiler, will not start, the system is live,
the fan Kicks in and out, along burst at first, then a 5 second gap
follwed a a 2 second burst on the fan. But throughout it simply wont
fire up. I have tried using the reset button on the bottom og the
boiler but still nothing.

Does anybody have any ideas??
BigWallop

"Graeme Proctor" wrote in message
m...
My Potterton Profile 80 Boiler, will not start, the system is live,
the fan Kicks in and out, along burst at first, then a 5 second gap
follwed a a 2 second burst on the fan. But throughout it simply wont
fire up. I have tried using the reset button on the bottom og the
boiler but still nothing.

Does anybody have any ideas??

Not to familiar with the boiler, but does it have pilot flame or an electronic
ignition system ? It could be that the main gas valve inside the boiler isn't working
properly or the pilot flame / electronic ignition detector is shot.

Hugh

possibly sensor or over-heat thermostat problem? not too expensive if it is.
Check the boilers manual for fault-finding, and 'phone Potterton technical
dept. with the symptoms - they should give you a list of possibilities.
Hugh

---------
view my philatelic items for sale on ebay at:
http://tinyurl.com/l32i
"Graeme Proctor" wrote in message
m...
My Potterton Profile 80 Boiler, will not start, the system is live,
the fan Kicks in and out, along burst at first, then a 5 second gap
follwed a a 2 second burst on the fan. But throughout it simply wont
fire up. I have tried using the reset button on the bottom og the
boiler but still nothing.

Does anybody have any ideas??

Ed Sirett

On Tue, 11 May 2004 17:34:57 +0000, ski wrote:

Air pressure switch ?

"Graeme Proctor" wrote in message
m...
My Potterton Profile 80 Boiler, will not start, the system is live,
the fan Kicks in and out, along burst at first, then a 5 second gap
follwed a a 2 second burst on the fan. But throughout it simply wont
fire up. I have tried using the reset button on the bottom og the
boiler but still nothing.

Does anybody have any ideas??

Is this a repeating cycle? If so its the control box.

I'm not totally sure but I think the underlying cause is that the relay is
stuck. Mechanical encouragement may unstick for a while.
The problem is that the fan start the APS responds but the relay does not
switch over to keep the fan running so the APS fails after a second or
two. Then the fan is powered again and so on....

Replacements are readily avilable from cetltd.com .

The FAQ for uk.diy is at www.diyfaq.org.uk

John

"Graeme Proctor" wrote in message
m...
My Potterton Profile 80 Boiler, will not start, the system is live,
the fan Kicks in and out, along burst at first, then a 5 second gap
follwed a a 2 second burst on the fan. But throughout it simply wont
fire up. I have tried using the reset button on the bottom og the
boiler but still nothing.

Does anybody have any ideas??

IMHO you should chuck it and install a replacement by a different
manufacturer to save you long term grief

geoff

In message , Graeme
Proctor writes
My Potterton Profile 80 Boiler, will not start, the system is live,
the fan Kicks in and out, along burst at first, then a 5 second gap
follwed a a 2 second burst on the fan. But throughout it simply wont
fire up. I have tried using the reset button on the bottom og the
boiler but still nothing.

It's either the air pressure switch, or, more likely the pcb

look at my site www.cetltd.com

--
geoff
geoff

In message .uk, Ed
Sirett writes
On Tue, 11 May 2004 17:34:57 +0000, ski wrote:

Air pressure switch ?

"Graeme Proctor" wrote in message
m...
My Potterton Profile 80 Boiler, will not start, the system is live,
the fan Kicks in and out, along burst at first, then a 5 second gap
follwed a a 2 second burst on the fan. But throughout it simply wont
fire up. I have tried using the reset button on the bottom og the
boiler but still nothing.

Does anybody have any ideas??

Is this a repeating cycle? If so its the control box.

I'm not totally sure but I think the underlying cause is that the relay is
stuck.

It's not the relay sticking, it's either a capacitor or the zener diode

Mechanical encouragement may unstick for a while.
The problem is that the fan start the APS responds but the relay does not
switch over to keep the fan running so the APS fails after a second or
two. Then the fan is powered again and so on....

Replacements are readily avilable from cetltd.com .

--
geoff
geoff

In message , Hugh
writes
possibly sensor or over-heat thermostat problem? not too expensive if it is.
Check the boilers manual for fault-finding, and 'phone Potterton technical
dept. with the symptoms - they should give you a list of possibilities.
Hugh

Sorry I missed this, computer problems ...

Can someone repeat the question
--
geoff

Potterton Performa 24 Combi Boiler john UK diy 1 March 3rd 04 07:35 PM
Near death boiler + replacing a boiler David Hearn UK diy 9 January 26th 04 12:44 PM
Potterton Profile Boiler Sparks UK diy 3 October 28th 03 09:43 PM
CH boiler - making droning noise - Potterton Suprima 60 Eric the Red UK diy 2 September 29th 03 03:01 PM
Poxy Potterton boiler again... Colin Swan UK diy 8 July 8th 03 10:44 PM